Florida scorpion ID

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Can you get me a shot of the pedipalps from the side and the denticles? A pectine tooth count may also be useful.

Cheers,
Dave

rd_07

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
looks similar to Centruroides vittatus but i'm not 100% {D

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it was found in the keys its most likely Centruroides guanensis. Centruroides hentzi aren't known to be located that far south in Florida as far as I'm aware.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
If it was found in the keys its most likely Centruroides guanensis. Centruroides hentzi aren't known to be located that far south in Florida as far as I'm aware.
That's what I've read as well.

Can you get me a shot of the pedipalps from the side and the denticles? A pectine tooth count may also be useful.

Cheers,
Dave
Will do. Thanks for the offer!

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Recommendation: Get the photos for skinheaddave as he is probably the most qualified person to ID Florida scorpion species in the last few years as he did collecting and ID of Florida scorpions for the AMNH a couple of years ago.

John
];')

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
where in the keys was it found and if on an island which one?

it looks more like guanensis than hentzi
the claws are a little more bulbous (rounder) than hentzi
im a bit rusty since its been 2-3 years now since ive had my collection
but i like it :worship:'

go find a female ;)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Sorry, best I can get unfortunately. Pectine count is...apparently too small for my eyes and/or camera. Lower keys.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
What is the overall size? The carapace, pedipalp notch and manus look right for C.guanensis (as well as colouration etc. .. but these are poor characters). The location is also right though I would be hesitant to go on that 100% given how easy it is for specimens to be transported up/down that corridor. If your specimen is fairly large I would say C.guanensis for sure. If it is smaller then I would still want to see the denticles up close and get a pectine tooth count before rendering my final verdict.

These two are actually quite difficult to tell apart in the middle. C.guanensis can be extreme in size and pectine counts can be either very low (C.henzi) or very high (C.guanensis) but otherwise there is a LOT of overlap in the middle. Far more than is currently represented in the rather sparse literature.

Cheers,
Dave

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Def. larger than other Centruroides that I'm familiar with. BL = 1.25", Overall = 3", give or take. Thanks for the details, Dave!