Florida arthropod permit driving me crazy

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I read all the threads i can find concerning this very close to useless and weakly enforced regime. Does anyone know the clear cut rules on it? Do I need one if I own Ts in florida? My local pet store and the dealers i've spoken to never asked for it or requested it; seems like even no one knows about it..any clarity and clarification is appreciated. Glades herps stated they can sell you certain species of scorps and Ts have no restrictions, that being said is that true? If I own all Ts, is the permit needed, hope not!

-Andy

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey andy, about 6 or 7 years ago I remember you needed to get one to buy versicolors, just because they said that they can do very well here in florida. Since then thou I have heard nothing of it and have never been asked for papers of any kind when I purchase at shows or thru distributers.

I personnely wouldnt worry about it. Just my 2 cents.

Doug

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey andy, about 6 or 7 years ago I remember you needed to get one to buy versicolors, just because they said that they can do very well here in florida. Since then thou I have heard nothing of it and have never been asked for papers of any kind when I purchase at shows or thru distributers.

I personnely wouldnt worry about it. Just my 2 cents.

Doug
Thanks a lot Doug! That helps! :D

-Andy

Sof

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They probably try/tryed to enforce that because of the brachy's and avics you can find in Florida from careless people who let them go in the wild when they don't want them anymore.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They probably try/tryed to enforce that because of the brachy's and avics you can find in Florida from careless people who let them go in the wild when they don't want them anymore.
I'm not even going to bother with it anymore since no one even asks or even seems to know about, and I would never bring it up..:D

Dumaw

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
avics have invaded florida just like the b vagans?

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
avics have invaded florida just like the b vagans?
supposedly... so far i have just read people mentioning they heard about it, never anything that definitely verified it really. the vagans are/were out there for sure, but i went right to the location and didn't find anything. though i've only been once, and was there in the early evening..i should try again at night.

to answer the original question...i had never heard of the permit until after spending some time here and also looking through todd gearhearts list of inverts. i agree that it seems like something a lot of people don't have and isn't enforced very well. someone mentioned A. versicolor before..i was able to purchase one at a pet store here without any mention of a permit. they have some non-native scorpions, centipedes, and some other arachnids. there too. there is at least one other store around the area that sells tarantulas, and some pedes, but have never mentioned the permit either.

if you want to get it, you're probably better off just in case..but honestly, i wouldn't bother.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
supposedly... so far i have just read people mentioning they heard about it, never anything that definitely verified it really. the vagans are/were out there for sure, but i went right to the location and didn't find anything. though i've only been once, and was there in the early evening..i should try again at night.

to answer the original question...i had never heard of the permit until after spending some time here and also looking through todd gearhearts list of inverts. i agree that it seems like something a lot of people don't have and isn't enforced very well. someone mentioned A. versicolor before..i was able to purchase one at a pet store here without any mention of a permit. they have some non-native scorpions, centipedes, and some other arachnids. there too. there is at least one other store around the area that sells tarantulas, and some pedes, but have never mentioned the permit either.

if you want to get it, you're probably better off just in case..but honestly, i wouldn't bother.

I'm with you as well, my local pet store doesn't even ask for anything not to mention no one even seems to know about it, I'll save my time and won't get one as I heard if you call to get one they can't even explain all the rules and clauses; things are fine without the permit anyway. :D

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not from florida and really do not want to get into this.

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/plt/entnempath.html

The Bureau of Entomology said:
2# Who needs a permit?
Anyone who imports exotic organisms (for example, insects, spiders, scorpions, noxious weeds, plant pathogens, and nematodes) into Florida from any other state or country, or who moves such exotic organisms within the state for any purpose. This especially applies to anyone engaged in wholesale import or sale, or otherwise serving as a broker to any business in the retail pet or bait trade.

So it seems that if you are importing them or exporting them, you need a premit. This means that if you buy from anyone outside of florida you must have a premit. It also means that if you move around with them you need one too. I would pm todd to get the correct information.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw that site as well and thought to myself, that's why I made this thread, upon going to that site and another site talking about the permit, also speculation about reading it on the forums gave me motivation to ask for clarifications...thanks again!