Floor Web (versicolor)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY MY VERSICOLOR (ABOREAL OF COURSE) HAS CHOSEN TO MAKE A WEB ON THE FLOOR OF THE ENCLOSURE? HIS ABDOMEN IS BIG BUT I DON'T THINK HE IS GOING TO MOLT SOON AND EVEN IF HE IS GOING TO MOLT SOON HE MADE THIS WEBBING WAY BEFORE HE WENT INTO PRE MOLT (IF HE IS IN PRE-MOLT WHICH I DOUBT)...ANY IDEAS?..HERE ARE SOME PICTURES BELOW...I DIDN'T CROP THEM BECAUSE THEN YOU WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO TELL IF THEY WERE ON THE FLOOR OR NOT.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Press caps once ;)

Looks like a burrow to me. Not really an arboreal one but a burrow. My avic avic has made it's burrow all the way to the bottom too, with an opening right above the substrate.

You're unlikely to see a normal moult mat on the substrate with an avic since they mostly chose to moult inside their tube web.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like there is no substrate there.
My bad about the caps lock. and for my aboreals I usually don't use substrate for aboreals that are strickly aboreals from birth.

like avics are aboreals from birth (everyone I have ever had never really went down to the floor for longer than 5 minutes at a time unless it was molting.

however singapore blues arent strictly aboreals from birth that's why I have given them substrate.

like once my singapore blue gets to about 4" or so maybe smaller so isnt a flight risk the container I'm tranfering it to eventually won't have any substrate at all its just a tall bread container.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have to ask, with slings and juvies and no substrate, do you have a lot of deaths? Or have you had enough to know that or not yet. To me that would be a dry low humidity setup, and a complete 180 from what you'd want it to be. Substrate holds mosture longer with a more constant release then a misting so I guess I am curious how you maintain humidity.

Avics will make that tube webbing also when they are trying to conserve moisture and hold humidity.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to ask, with slings and juvies and no substrate, do you have a lot of deaths? Or have you had enough to know that or not yet. To me that would be a dry low humidity setup, and a complete 180 from what you'd want it to be. Substrate holds mosture longer with a more constant release then a misting so I guess I am curious how you maintain humidity.

Avics will make that tube webbing also when they are trying to conserve moisture and hold humidity.

i've only had one T die but i don't know why it died. it could have been from no substrate but I'm not sure. and the humidity is maintain by a humidifer

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure it has webbed there because it feels most comfortable there. Just let it web where it wants, it knows what it's doing.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
like Paul said, let it web where it wants, but maybe would be great if you drill some holes more.. there are holes in the lid??

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i wouldnt worry, my versicolor did the same thing, it webbed in the middle 1st, then at the bottem, and stayed there for ages, and then right up to the top so i couldnt even open it with out braking all the webs.

Pete :D

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
my A. mettalica made a web on the ground like that and molted on it lol then climed back to the top and made a tube web lol

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks like a normal tube web to me. My avic ususally builds something that more resembles a hammock than a tube if it's going to molt.

And i get your reasoning behind the no substrate thing, but are you sure the humidifier keeps things where they should be? I am just curious because I vaguely remember a thread where someone asked if they could use one, and there was varied opinions on it. Personally i think i will stick with substrate and misting for my avic, but i am curious none the less.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like a normal tube web to me. My avic ususally builds something that more resembles a hammock than a tube if it's going to molt.

And i get your reasoning behind the no substrate thing, but are you sure the humidifier keeps things where they should be? I am just curious because I vaguely remember a thread where someone asked if they could use one, and there was varied opinions on it. Personally i think i will stick with substrate and misting for my avic, but i am curious none the less.
yea i have a walk in Tarantula closet i use for ALL my T's and they molt just fine with the humidity and I have it HUMID most if not all of the time. and if i do mist the avic's enclosures its like once a week if that

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
It Doesn't Look Like There Is Any Substrate At All. The Spider Just Chose That Spot Because It Seemed The Best To The Spider. Another Versi May Have Picked Out A Different Spot...but They Are Each Their Own..and This One Said "i Like This Spot." I Almost Never See My Avics On The Ground..but It Happens..i'd Add Some Substrate..even If Just A Tiny Bit.

edit...i typed that whole thing in complete caps... i don't get the editing...

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Your best bet is to put some substrate in, and a piece of cork bark leant against the side 4 the little guy to web behind and live behind.