Flirty T

Leila

Arachnobaron
I am presently torn between adoration and sympathy, and here is why... :shy:
My MM G. rosea (named Gatsby) is generally super content to chill in one of a couple of spots in his enclosure (as most of ya know to be the behavior of the rosies)-
BUT:
Since bringing home (what I believe to be??) a femme B. albo (Zoe), whose tank is right beside Gatsby's, that boy has been restless. He is constantly traipsing about his enclosure, climbing up the walls, and posting himself upon the wall closest to Zoe.
This behavior is freaking adorable, but I feel so badly for the guy. All he wants is to...hit that...(sorry for being crass!) Should I move Zoe farther away?

Last edited:

Leila

Arachnobaron
I was slightly ambiguous. I know Zoe is a B. Albo. I'm just not certain that she is a female.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I was slightly ambiguous. I know Zoe is a B. Albo. I'm just not certain that she is a female.
I'm betting Gatsby knows;).
When my Avicularia avicularia grows up he'll by surrounded by mature fems. I'll take pity on him and put him across the room.
I'd do that if I were you.
But, please, NO mixed spiders.

Leila

Arachnobaron
I absolutely have not considered breeding them- promise. No way.
I will take your advice and move Gatsby to another area in the room. Gah, I just feel freakin terrible that he is yearning so badly for a mate that I cannot supply..:bear:
And he is seriously going bonkers. I added more substrate today incase he had any accidental falls from his recent excursions.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I absolutely have not considered breeding them- promise. No way.
I will take your advice and move Gatsby to another area in the room. Gah, I just feel freakin terrible that he is yearning so badly for a mate that I cannot supply..:bear:
And he is seriously going bonkers. I added more substrate today incase he had any accidental falls from his recent excursions.
He'll be fine, especially when he calms down after moving him. :)
Glad that you added more substrate. Good to see another newbie like me lol.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Good to know. I am going to post a picture of Gatsby flirting with Zoe in a few hours. :)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I think tarantulas might be the least intelligent creatures ever. They're like pandas. How did they survive for so long? If they try to mate with tarantulas that aren't even in the same genus, then man. That's just weird.

Bread

Arachnopeon
It's even more entertaining when you have a few going at once, My MM A.Avic loves tapping to my WC Hysterocrates female and she taps back!
Once those two start my GBB MM taps, and then my Ornata and vorax tap, and it's like a choir going round in a circle, it can last a few minutes!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It's even more entertaining when you have a few going at once, My MM A.Avic loves tapping to my WC Hysterocrates female and she taps back!
Once those two start my GBB MM taps, and then my Ornata and vorax tap, and it's like a choir going round in a circle, it can last a few minutes!
You should try and put that on video, i'd be thrilled to see/hear that :)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I don't get it man. I guess they DON'T have a sense of smell. But then how would they know there's a tarantula in the room at all?

Bread

Arachnopeon
The vibrations from the tapping, they are all on the same shelving rack.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I don't get it man. I guess they DON'T have a sense of smell. But then how would they know there's a tarantula in the room at all?
The Tarantula GODDESS sees all and knows all. She's not above whispering sweet nothings to her Ts, encouraging them to enjoy little harmless flirtations.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The vibrations from the tapping, they are all on the same shelving rack.
But why would the males begin tapping if they think they need to roam around to find a female? How did they know there were females to tap to? And if they can't even tell what species the other tarantulas are, why do two males never tap to each other?

Bread

Arachnopeon
But why would the males begin tapping if they think they need to roam around to find a female? How did they know there were females to tap to? And if they can't even tell what species the other tarantulas are, why do two males never tap to each other?
Honestly, I have no idea, I would assume they roam to within a certain range, then tap away when they feel a vibration to say "hey i'm a guy don't tear my face off please", but really, I don't know :p

There are many things about T's that confuse the heck out of me (the big one being how Balfouri's trample over the top of another without flinching, yet fly toward prey instantly)
If you find out be sure to let me know :p

Leila

Arachnobaron
I've yet to hear any tapping from my Ts. How amusing, Bread! Lol. I agree with Andrea82- a video of that would be fantastic!!!

Bread

Arachnopeon
I've yet to hear any tapping from my Ts. How amusing, Bread! Lol. I agree with Andrea82- a video of that would be fantastic!!!
I'll see what I can do but it's hard, the second I move they must feel me and they stop.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Ah ha! There we go! :) Pretty easy to tell which one is Gatsby- his hooks are very prominently displayed in this photo.
No lectures about his substrate. I was drying a large amount in the oven when I quickly snapped this pic. I assure you all that I fixed the issue. :)

Attachments

Bread

Arachnopeon
Love the balancing on one leg :p
And nice lovey flower paper in the background hehe.