flies in tank

fen17

Arachnopeon
noticed little flies in tarantula’s tank, only noticed yesterday so can’t have been there for ages.

i changed the substrate a month ago so is it possible there was larvae and they’ve only just hatched? or is it likely flies were just attracted to my t’s tank (i’ve had the windows open lots recently because it’s been hot.)

i’m not sure on what type they are, if they’re harmful to my t or how to get rid of them. i havent noticed any sort of eggs or anything out of the ordinary on my tarantula, the only thing weird is her behaviour is less active but i dont know if the two things are connected or if she’s just acting more like a terrestrial (she’s stopped climbing the tank walls and lid.)

i have a photo of one of the flies.

Attachments

Beastfather

Arachnopeon
Ye i have the same problem, and lol viper69 dont say anything if you dont have something helpful to say.

Beastfather

Arachnopeon
Ive read fungus gnats are not harmful to Ts, but they are annoying and they breed fast, i just saw two of them mate infront of my as i was taking a picture of one of them

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
Viper may be a little brusque, but he has a point. Flies and Gnats tend to go for moisture and decaying food. Not saying that's definitely the cause, but it doesn't hurt to check. A complete newb could read this thread looking for help, not just you and the OP.