Fleas in house...

emv0752

Arachnopeon
I recently watched a friend's cat while she was out of town. The cat had gotten outside for a night shortly before she came to stay at my house. After a few days I realized she had fleas; she is a long-haired cat so it was difficult to tell. I know that fleas are now present in my house because I've noticed several flea bites on myself. I've never dealt with a flea problem before but I'm under the impression that I need to use "bug bombs" to get rid of them. I have no experience with them but apparently all pets and people need to be out of the house for several hours while they are in use.

My question is, how long should my rose hair be vacationing out of my house after I use the bug bombs? A few days? A week? Longer? Any advice would be very helpful! I have a friend who's more than willing to spidersit for however long is necessary and of course I'd rather be safe than sorry, but I'd like to have her back asap.

Thank you!! :)

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My cat just recently got fleas to but bombing the house is completely out of the question!I would assume if you don't have any cats or dogs in the house currently that your flea problem should go away with out them.things that can help are vacuuming like ever day and there's also some organic powders you can use to treat the problems.I think there was a good thread on here somewhere regarding fleas so that would be worth searching for to!
Good luck,
-Chris

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
My cat just recently got fleas to but bombing the house is completely out of the question!I would assume if you don't have any cats or dogs in the house currently that your flea problem should go away with out them.things that can help are vacuuming like ever day and there's also some organic powders you can use to treat the problems.I think there was a good thread on here somewhere regarding fleas so that would be worth searching for to!
Good luck,
-Chris
That would be correct. As long as there are no other mammal pets, the fleas can't keep surviving in your house. They need an animal host, they can bite you, but not live on you. They will only survive so long on your furniture and carpets etc before dying off with no host to live on. This was probably one of the most common questions that got called into my vet clinic, people that didn't even have pets wanting us to help them get rid of them because a friend brought over a dog with them. Just vacuum everything really well, wash any couch cushions etc and they will die. Just make sure you don't bring any cats or dogs, or rabbits etc home for a bit, or if you do, treat them with advantage or one of the similar products on the market.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would vacuum (as stated) and then toss the bag. I've heard that the nasty buggers can actually get out of the bag (have no idea if it is true) when the vacuum cleaner is off. When a flea infestation hits I always stock up on cheap bags, and treat the animals with meds (two dogs and a cat).

fretman08

Arachnosquire
I had to bomb my house and I just waited two days. Make sure you open alot of windows before you re-home your T's!

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I heard sprinking salt, borax, and baking soda on your carpet will dry them out (both fleas and their eggs). And good vacuuming during a life cycle of the fleas will also eliminate them.