Fleas and Tarantulas

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't trust using topical treatments around tarantulas. That's why I suggest the oral meds. It's what I will use if I ever need to.
I don't either. Call me paranoid or whatever :rolleyes:.
I use Comfortis for the dogs, which is oral. Not effective against ticks, but it takes care of fleas nicely. Since the dogs live in the house I'm not overly concerned about ticks, I just pull them off when I see them.
Seems like this has been an especially bad year for fleas in my area, and pollen, and flies, and just about every other kind of nuisance. I'll actually be glad when winter gets here.

Evil Seedlet

Arachnopeon
Our cats had fleas from our former roomate's stupid dog (she claimed the cats gave her dog fleas, but they don't go outside and she didn't bathe her dog nearly as often as she should have). After we moved we used a topical on the cats, two rounds so far, we might do a third but I haven't found a flea on the cats in weeks. In relation to the T's, I always just wash my hands before I mess with the T's in any way and everything's been fine so far, and all my T's are slings. It makes sens that you wouldn't need to bomb, just get rid of the fleas on your pets and the rest will die. You just gotta keep at it.

smrich

Arachnopeon
Flea Treatment

Please treat your cats with Frontline or Advantage for at least 4 months to rid them of fleas. The flea larva can live in your rugs for a few months and if you only treat for one month or only use capstar, the fleas with just jump on your pet again. Ideally use frontline or advantage once a month all year unless the ground is frozen. Also please don't bomb or spray any flea chemicals in your house, especially if you have T's. Most of those products do not work, but can possibly be harmful. Also, pets can get tape worms from eating fleas, gross!