Flea Fogger With Tarantulas

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
Hi! I am really worried because I have 6 small tarantulas, crickets, dubia roaches, and mealworms and my parents are going to be bug bombing the house because we have fleas everywhere. I tried to talk my mom into another method of getting rid of the fleas but she refuses and has now bought 5 3pack boxes of flea foggers and is going to bomb the entire house this weekend. There is no talking her out of it. I am going to be moving all my Ts and bugs to my neighbors house while all of this is going on, and am going to try to at least talk her out of bombing my room where i keep my tarantulas.
How long after the bombs will it be safe to bring my tarantulas back? I am going to be cleaning and vacuuming my room after the bombs and set up an air purifier for a few days.. will that be enough to ensure my tarantulas will be okay inside the house? I dont want to take any chances losing them to these stupid flea foggers.

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Smart move getting them out of the house that would definitely be bad news for your Invertebrates.

I cannot comment on the time frame since I do not use those products. Someone else can chime in there. Minimum of several days of cleaning and airing out the domicile are an absolute must in this situation given that the product is lethal to invertebrates.

Also, is she sure that it will even work? Does the product kill flea eggs or just adult fleas or what? If it does not kill the eggs then the effort is completely pointless.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Depending on the strength of the pesticides it could be a a couple of days or it could be a couple months, I would definitely try to convince her to not use it in your room. Good Luck!

Also the box says seven months so lets hope it is weaker than it proclaims...

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Depending on the strength of the pesticides it could be a a couple of days or it could be a couple months, I would definitely try to convince her to not use it in your room. Good Luck!
Double edged sword if she does not use it in that room and they hide in there until its safe elsewhere.

As I said before though, I question if the stuff is even worth using if it does not kill the eggs or what not.

I don't know, I am not a fan of pesticides anyway for humans. Nevermind invertebrates. Others will more experience using pesticides will have to chime in.

Good luck @Tillykat

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Double edged sword if she does not use it in that room and they hide in there until its safe elsewhere.
When one of my friends parents were in this situation they made that mistake so they decided to just replace all there carpeting, Not the most economically sound choice but it worked.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Smart move getting them out of the house that would definitely be bad news for your Invertebrates.

I cannot comment on the time frame since I do not use those products. Someone else can chime in there. Minimum of several days of cleaning and airing out the domicile are an absolute must in this situation given that the product is lethal to invertebrates.

Also, is she sure that it will even work? Does the product kill flea eggs or just adult fleas or what? If it does not kill the eggs then the effort is completely pointless.
I recently had to deal with two separate flea infestations in my apartment, and I can attest that foggers don't kill the eggs. They're ineffective at killing fleas but highly effective at covering every square inch of your house in pesticides... :depressed:

@Tillykat : removing the Ts is a great idea. You should really try to convince your mom to hire a pest control service that can come and spray the correct pesticides in your living space instead of using those useless bug bombs. When I had my apartment treated, it only took five minutes for them to spray the floor and 45 minutes before I could return to the apartment. Best of luck!

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Make sure you wash your clothes well before handling or performing maintenance with them as well. :(

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
+1 for calling orkin or some other professional and having them come out and do a specific treatment for fleas. try and convince your mom to return the bug bombs for her money back because they're very ineffective at killing infestations of any kind because they don't penetrate the walls or into cracks and crevices. Deep in the carpet where fleas reside will probably recieve small amounts of the pesticides. And the outcome is your house is now coated in pesticides (bad for your family) orkin comes to my house and I talk with the gentleman about insects and arachnids and he assured me his sprays weren't aromatic, meaning that the bugs must come into contact with it in order for it to die. He sprays on my property for ants. And his job is to kill bugs. But he still finds interest in my t collection.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
I am a licensed pest control technician of many years. As stated bombs=waste of money. When I spray, I recommend invert pets to be removed during treatment and three hours after. The sprays kill on contact but during treatment they do "float". Odor is immaterial. Remember that pesticides have residual (over the counter claims of 6 months is bogus). So this means no t's on the carpet, and if a feeder gets loose, cull it don't use.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I am a licensed pest control technician of many years. As stated bombs=waste of money. When I spray, I recommend invert pets to be removed during treatment and three hours after. The sprays kill on contact but during treatment they do "float". Odor is immaterial. Remember that pesticides have residual (over the counter claims of 6 months is bogus). So this means no t's on the carpet, and if a feeder gets loose, cull it don't use.
thank you for this response, it was very informative. I recently was staying at a friends house while we were looking for a place of our own. Little did we know they have a HUGE.. I mean completely out of control germanica roach infestation. Although we were very careful when we moved our belonging into our new place, we had, what I believe to be, a few hundred hitchhikers. On top of that, my feeder colony is FULL of the house roaches which seem to be eating off my feeders? At any rate, the 3 hour thing will help when we go to spray again for them. We used DemonX when we moved in but I was concerned about my collection going forward since the application we did moving in didn't eradicate them.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
For a cockroach infestation, baiting is the safest and most effective option. Baiting is safe because it is a paste you place in cracks and crevices for the roaches to eat. No removing of pets needed. Always follow the label.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
For a cockroach infestation, baiting is the safest and most effective option. Baiting is safe because it is a paste you place in cracks and crevices for the roaches to eat. No removing of pets needed. Always follow the label.
can you message me on where I could obtain something like this? Is it available at home improvement stores? I've used the powder stuff before with mixed (often completely failed really) success.

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had to battle a pretty bad flea infestation once in a home with wall to wall carpeting and many invertebrate pets. While dog sitting fleas were introduced to my indoor only cat and ended up infesting my home.

I was quite worried after a few weeks when only using natural remedies the problem got worse. The fleas were biting me as well.

After doing a lot of reading I finally concluded there would be no way around needing to use pesticides.

The way I did it was to keep all my Tarantulas away from my cat which I did anyhow since there is a room for my Tarantulas where my cat is not allowed.

I started giving an oral flea medication as well as a couple of capstar pills over the course of a few days for some immediate relief. I also placed flea traps in every room in the house and placed my cat supplies and litter box in the basement well away from any Tarantulas.

I was also sure to not cross contaminate anything and only cared for my T's BEFORE doing anything with my cat. I vacuumed regularly to collect cat hair and fleas.

Usually only after I showered in the mornings would I feed or water and afterwards feed my cat, not returning to my Ts until the next day after showering.

By using an oral medication I was able to limit the pesticides to my cat's system rather than the entire home. To ensure I got all the fleas I rotated between 2 medications and used per instructions.

Perhaps you can treat in a similar manner and avoid the flea bombs. After about a month I saw no fleas but I still followed the recommendations and treated long after.