Flatworm pic

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I found this on a sidewalk while I was walking around at night. Probably not a whole lot of interest here. I haven't done any research on them but know there are species that eat earthworms and snails. I don't expect anybody here to know this but, ...it looks like it made an egg case, that small brown ball. It was sitting on top of it for hours. It could be a seed or something that is was sitting on but I didn't notice it before I put the flatworm in the container. Any comments about species, diet or info on that brown ball... egg case? (not a leech) Found in East Texas.

Last edited:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm curious about the worms feeding orfice. If it is circular then I'd want to say it's a leech....at least that's what it appears like to me. I'd put it in a cup of water and see how it reacts...the ball maybe an eggsac, which would explain it's purpose on land.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It does look like a leech but it's not. I find these under logs and in rotten logs. These are terrestrial and move very slow like slugs and unlike a land leech would. I've had several aquatic leeches and I don't think there are any land leech species in Texas. If there are any species, that'd be interesting to know. But no, this is not a leech. I may try to get a better pic if there is any more curiosity or doubt but I don't really expect there to be.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I only know a tiny bit about flatworms-- all a byproduct of having a friend who knows a ton about them.
*There are terrestrial leeches in the US. That is not one.
*Does look like a flatworm that made an egg case. My friend says that he has kept eggcases on a few layers of new wet coffee filters in a peti dish with a cover at room temp until they hatch- most species make one egg with one individual so you wont get an army of these things suddenly. They make eggs intermittantly.

Sidenote: Apparantly there is a hammer-headed flatworm from China that is now established in the US....who knew?

That's my second hand nickles worth.....

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for that info! I've seen the Hammer-head around here. I've seen them over a foot long. Man I really expected there to be more than one worm in that brown ball, that's a surprise. Cool, thanks again.

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I only vaguely remember what I learned about planarians years ago in school, but I think flatworms in general are hermaphroditic and capable of asexual reproduction in addition to sexual reproduction.

flatwormlover11

Arachnopeon
hi im new! the "hammer head" is bipalium kewence, i currently have a colony of them and they make exelent pets! the one posted in the photo would also probably make a good pet. however, when they die they rapidly decompose, and it is the worst smell ever!