Flatrock Mites and possible mycosis...

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I moved my flatrock scorpion from a rubbermaid container to a 2.5 gal terrarium with fine gravel a few months ago. I'm afraid that the low ventilation may have begun to cause problems. the Just now I picked up his water dish and saw mites crawling all over it. I bagged the scorpion and used a magnifying glass to check the topside and underside, and I found no signs of mites. I did see somthing that might be mycosis. The only way I can describe it is as a thin, 3mm raised scarlike thing. I'm really hoping it's just an old injury I haven't noticed before. I apologize for lack of photos, but my old camera just wouldn't pick up the detail needed. Any advice would be invaluable. I'm completly overwhemed.

I've moved him to a deli cup with no water and fresh substrate for now. I'm tempted to just keep him there. It seems so much eaiser than dealing with a terrarium.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your Hadogenes doesn't need a water dish. Maybe just give him some water every month or so.

Mike

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your Hadogenes doesn't need a water dish. Maybe just give him some water every month or so.

Mike
Thanks. I'll probably stick his substrate and driftwood in the oven before I set it back up. Anyone have an idea of what tempurature and time to bake it for?

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I moved my flatrock scorpion from a rubbermaid container to a 2.5 gal terrarium with fine gravel a few months ago. I'm afraid that the low ventilation may have begun to cause problems. the Just now I picked up his water dish and saw mites crawling all over it. I bagged the scorpion and used a magnifying glass to check the topside and underside, and I found no signs of mites. I did see somthing that might be mycosis. The only way I can describe it is as a thin, 3mm raised scarlike thing. I'm really hoping it's just an old injury I haven't noticed before. I apologize for lack of photos, but my old camera just wouldn't pick up the detail needed. Any advice would be invaluable. I'm completly overwhemed.

I've moved him to a deli cup with no water and fresh substrate for now. I'm tempted to just keep him there. It seems so much eaiser than dealing with a terrarium.
If there are mites then your tank is probably humid. I don't see a reason why you have to bake your substrate :? .

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If there are mites then your tank is probably humid. I don't see a reason why you have to bake your substrate :? .
I just thought I would kill off the existing mites before I stuck my scorpion back in there. Get a fresh start ya know?