Flat-rock sitings

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Flatrock sightings

Who out there is still seeing Flatrock scorps in the pet stores? I was wondering if the collecting laws in Africa were keeping them out of the stores more. I found one baby one for sale in a pet store here in Austin for $14.
sorry, can't edit that title.

Last edited:

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here in NE Ohio I only see Pandinus imps, I have found some Heterometrus' and a couple P cavimanus miss labeled as P imps but only P imps in the BIG stores, two small 'ma and pop' pet stores said they could get some 'flat rocks' but never would order them for me. Then I saw some at a local reptile show and bought two.

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The only flatrocks I can get are CB and rare about £25 each ($50 roughly) Got a couple on order though, will be weeks before I get them.

jojobear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
IME flatrocks tend to be seasonal with best availability starting in Dec/Jan and then dwindling off by summer. I don't know for sure just my observations over the years.

Last edited:

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i've been looking for a female H trog for over a year and have had no luck in finding any H trogs at all... so maybe they are starting to be collected less

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I see a few Flat rock scorps in the Mom and Pop stores around here. I picked up a male for my female around 3 months ago. Mostly emps though.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
they would definitely be more readily available if the gestation period wasn't an eternety...but I haven't seen many H. trogs for sale in a long time...and they only sale P. imperators in the pet stores here...

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah i'm in fla and they are around here and there,but not as common as the emps.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Saw quite a few of them this winter at a local pet store chain. None since spring.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
We can get Hadogenes in the winter around here. It used to be H.trogs but in recent years H.paucidens seems more common.

Cheers,
Dave

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Another mom-pop siting in Oregon -- they have a couple HUGE female H. paucidens* labelled as males for . . . I think it was $25? My smaller female I picked up at an expo back in January for $15.

*Unless there's a larger species that also has the olive keels.

Urizen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
H.Troglodytes are illegal to collect,keep, and export here. So that's probably one of the reasons. The fines are extremely high, even if some one reports you for killing one in your home, the fine is the same. Up to ZAR10 000 per specimen.

As far as I know, only Buthidae species are not protected as of yet. But with many going out overseas, it is only a matter of time.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I see H.tryl in one petshop. They keep them communally but um... they really shouldn't. I see scorpion pieces everywhere.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hadogenes paucidens tangent

I have two Hadogenes paucidens. And via research I keep them Dry and hot, but is there more exact measurements, I've seen temps from listed 75°-90° F and humidity from low to 75%. I've seen pics from showing them on some sort of soil and moist looking to sand and dry. The only consistent statement is keep some flat rocks in there for them to hide between.

Also is floor space the necessity or hides. I have several pieces of slate at about 45° to 60° draft with narrow spaces for hides but only about 12" by 12" floor space.

Has any one seen pics of the natural habitat of these guys? Any insight would be appreciated.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also is floor space the necessity or hides. I have several pieces of slate at about 45° to 60° draft with narrow spaces for hides but only about 12" by 12" floor space.
I keep my female in a rubbermaid / sterlite container (forget which makes it) that's slightly narrower than a 10-gallon but only 2/3 as long. She always hides under the same flat rock -- I never see her out from under it unless I try moving her, in which case she runs laps and snaps at anything that moves until she decides to hide again.

Or, the short version, experience suggest hides are more important than floor space. :)

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've seen more H. paucidens lately than H. trog in the pet stores. I was just in the petland here (which sells more exotic stuff than the other stores) and they had a H. paucidens.

I keep my H. trog in a 10 gallon tank on sand with slate flat rocks to hide in. I have a 50W heat bulb on her tank from 7 to 7 resting on the screen and I water her once a week. She had at least 30 babies last year in this fashion. I feed her once a week.

I ended up keeping about 4 of her babies.