Flat Rock Set up

LD50

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Can anyone post a picture of your flat rock setup im planning on getting one.:}

LD50

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I also got a question can i mix jungle mix with sand to make the substrate for the little flat rock:D

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They like sandy/rocky soil. They also prefer alot of rocks for climbing. Slate works good because it stacks well and it can be used to make small hides. It also holds heat well. I would stack the rocks verically as well as horizontal. They will spend most of there time in the cracks formed by the stacked rocks. The amount of substrait is not important, they are not known as burrowers. They like things on the dry side. you only need to misted maybe once a month. I would provide them w/ a shallow water dish.

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmm... I once had a Flat Rock and kept it on sandy soil with three flat stones (4-5" roughly, two of which acted as pillars while the third provided a shelter). It seemed to work as the animal remained healthy and active right up till I sold it. Hope this helps! :)

Don't put too small of stones in the terrarium either. Mine liked to do interior redesigning. LOL!

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Bryan,

No pics of my setup (acutaly, my girlfriend's, but we both care for everything anyways). I can, however, describe it for you. It is a 5 gallon aquarium (bit of overkill) with red decorative sand and lots of slate. The slate is stacked in such a way as to provide lots of places to hide. The majority is glued together to prevent collapse, with some other pieces off on their own. The substrate is not deep, nor suitable for burrowing. The scorpion spends all its time hiding in the slate waiting for food. ;)

Jungle mix with sand will make a good substrate, but so will just the mix or just the sand. Lots of rocks is the key for these guys.

Cheers,
Dave

LD50

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What Kind of brand of sand is best for a flat Rock????:D

LD50

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Have another question will a 10 lb bag of repti sand fill a 5 gallon tank???

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by BryanSS
Have another question will a 10 lb bag of repti sand fill a 5 gallon tank???
that should be more than enough.......I was using 1 lb. per gallon of terrarium for my reptiles.
Ed

LD50

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i changed my mind im getting an emperor scorpion does this sound like a good set up a 5 gallon fish tank with the hood im gonna place a 75 watt light bulb on it for heat and moist jungle mix and a drift wood hiding place does it sound good and also a screen top

Last edited: