flat rock scorps and mice

Justin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can an adult flat rock scorpion eat a small hopper mouse or fuzzy mouse? oh and by the way, i just thught some of you might be entrested, today at five on the discovery channel there is some thing coming on about scorpions.

The Spaz

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Justin
Can an adult flat rock scorpion eat a small hopper mouse or fuzzy mouse? oh and by the way, i just thught some of you might be entrested, today at five on the discovery channel there is some thing coming on about scorpions.
Heh thanks for the info about the scorpion show coming at 5 on the discovery channel! Go Scorpions!

The Spaz

Arachnopeon
I hope this helps some!

Scorpions, Flat Rock

Flat Rock Scorpion
Hadogenes sp.
5" to 7"
Africa
Beginner to Intermediate

Flat Rock scorpions are venomous and aggressive. DO NOT HANDLE!

An adult Flat Rock scorpion will require at least a 5-gallon aquarium. Provide dark hiding places.

Flat Rock scorpions are indigenous to tropical rainforests of Africa; therefore, it's crucial that they be provided a temperature range of 77-82°F during the day and in the mid to high 70's°F at night. This is necessary for the tarantula’s metabolism and immune system to function properly. They should also be kept at a constant high level of humidity.

Flat Rock scorpions are carnivores. Likes small insects, such as crickets every 3-4 days. DO NOT LEAVE CRICKETS IN THE CAGE FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME.

Provide a small shallow bowl with saturated cotton for drinking, and also mist the enclosure every other day for moisture and moderate humidity.

No special requirements.

Mad Scientist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know about hopper mice, but maybe a fuzzy would do.

Just remember a scorpions prey should never be 2/3 of their size.

(H. troglodytes 5.5" -7.5")

• fuzzy 3" - 3.5''
  • hopper 5" which would be the scorpions full size

But the websites I found about feeder mice are not very helpful, becuase they don't say if the total size is with the tail included. Because personaly I've never seen a fuzzy or hopper. My scorpions are always healthy being on an insect diet. Of course variety never hurts.

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Spaz,

Where did you find that care info? A lot of it is pretty bogus.

Cheers,
Dave

The Spaz

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Spaz,

Where did you find that care info? A lot of it is pretty bogus.

Cheers,
Dave
Sorry if that is bogus info! I got it off the flukers website that had care sheets on a lot of invertabrates and animals. I just copied and pasted it on here so I could help. If it's wrong then they are wrong to have that on their website.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Spaz,

No worries. It wouldn't be the first time that a company had bogus info on their site. In fact, most of the info out there is bogus.

In terms of the actual errors, for those who wish to know:

While all scorpions are venomous, flat-rocks have some of the mildest venom out there. Far from being dangerous, even compared to emperor scorpions. In terms of temperment, they seem skittish but far from defensive. This may have been put on there to cover themselves legaly.

5-gallon is a nice size, though they can be kept in less.

Tropical rainforest? Moderate-to-high humidity? They should be kept in a scrubland type setup with something to simulate the crevices between flat rocks. Piles of slate stacked up and siliconed together works well. They need very occasional misting -- maybe once or twice a month. They should NOT be kept in high humidity conditions.

And the absolutely worst thing on the sheet -- cotton should NEVER be used in water dishes, as it serves as a wonderful host for all sorts of nasty miroorganisms. Provided the dish is shallow, your scorpion will have no problems.

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. I will be bringing this all to fluker's attention.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have fed rat pups on occasion to my flat rocks, usually they are ignored but the female did eat half of one once.
Ed

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Excellent call guys. Gotta love it when info like that gets out to a newbie. That info on their (temporarily[thanks to skinhead] still avail) caresheet is almost guaranteed to kill a perfectly good scorpion over time (and quite possibly much faster!!!). I think someone got a little mixed up and copied and pasted the caresheet on a rainforest Tarantula, as the fact is, they did refer to a Flatrock as a Tarantula *caughs*.

Just as a note, certain larger scorpion species tend to enjoy a good fight with something which may be quite large. I feed adult mice on occasion to imperators and tarantulas and locusts (I mean the black and red ones that grow to like 3 inches +) occasionally to H. spiniferis (only adults and yes, the Ts are also soon-to-die adults of the not-so-large species). If you did choose to do this, it is recommended you watch over them carefully. I do NOT do this however, with Flat rocks!!! They tend to like smaller foods and will refuse anything this size given to them (at least mine do). I tend to use adult Wolf Spiders for A. australis and others of similar size, including A. bicolor and L. quinquestriatus.

As asked about Hadogenes being of a large size, they are claimed by some to have the longest length measured (over 8 inches as also claimed by some with P. imperator and H. swammerdami) for a scorpion, though obviously not the largest (weight and bulk), due to the scorpion being "flatter" than that seen in other genus.

Last edited:

Justin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
emperor scorpions can eat adult mice? i did not know that. so are you saying that a flat rock scorpions can not eat ADULT mice? but do you think they would eat a hopper mouse?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
P. imperator is quite a capable scorpion as strength goes. Though I do not recommend the feeding of mice to them, due to the mice carrying diseases, etc. (I breed my own because I also keep snakes, so I havn't the worries of this). Though Hadogenes have an extremely strong grip and large claws, they tend to not attack anything which makes them feel intimidated. If whatever you are attempting to feed to this scorp is larger than the claw, or thicker than the claw opens, no, I don't recommend trying it. They will "shoot it down" quickly (they wont touch it and will more than likely run from it).

JUST STICK WITH PICKIES!!! They are easier to clean the mess up afterwards.

Last edited:

Justin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok, thanks for answering my question. Do you keep your emperor scorpions in ten gallon tanks or five?

Justin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im probably going to order a flat rock scorpion soon. what should i feed them. and what is the biggest scorpion you can get

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Currently, I keep them in 10 gallon tanks, but am thinking of either moving them to a 75 gallon I also have, or putting Pandinus colei or perhaps even H. swammerdami in it. I'm not sure yet, but will definitely be something with aggressive size. I need to find a seller of swammerdami soon, as soon I will be attempting to purchase a number of them as well. Current scorps I keep...

P. imperator, colei (on the way), cavimanus
H. trilineatus, hottentotta
H. spiniferis, longimanus
H. troglodytes
C. exilicauda, margaritatus
H. spadix, arizonensis
P. transvaalicus, liosoma, heterurus
A. australis, bicolor
L. quinquestriatus
O. whalberghi (on the way), longicauda (appears to be, but new purchase)
Tityus... unknown species (on the way), stigmurus & bahiensis (in the works if they'll send for a descent price)
B. arenicola, yotvatensis (in progress if for a good price)

I also keep a small number of tarantulas, centipedes, millipedes, bearded dragons, snakes, beta fish, etc.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I usually stick with crickets and pinkies (depending on scorpion's size). As far as the largest scorpion you could purchase, it would honestly be a debate between a P. imperator (non-aggressive and quite a cheap price) and H. swammerdami (a big attitude comes with the size on this one and not such a low price, not to mention, difficult to find).

The Spaz

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by XOskeletonRED
Excellent call guys. Gotta love it when info like that gets out to a newbie. That info on their (temporarily[thanks to skinhead] still avail) caresheet is almost guaranteed to kill a perfectly good scorpion over time (and quite possibly much faster!!!). I think someone got a little mixed up and copied and pasted the caresheet on a rainforest Tarantula, as the fact is, they did refer to a Flatrock as a Tarantula *caughs*.

Just as a note, certain larger scorpion species tend to enjoy a good fight with something which may be quite large. I feed adult mice on occasion to imperators and tarantulas and locusts (I mean the black and red ones that grow to like 3 inches +) occasionally to H. spiniferis (only adults and yes, the Ts are also soon-to-die adults of the not-so-large species). If you did choose to do this, it is recommended you watch over them carefully. I do NOT do this however, with Flat rocks!!! They tend to like smaller foods and will refuse anything this size given to them (at least mine do). I tend to use adult Wolf Spiders for A. australis and others of similar size, including A. bicolor and L. quinquestriatus.

As asked about Hadogenes being of a large size, they are claimed by some to have the longest length measured (over 8 inches as also claimed by some with P. imperator and H. swammerdami) for a scorpion, though obviously not the largest (weight and bulk), due to the scorpion being "flatter" than that seen in other genus.
I did not copy and paste that wrong it is what was there when I picked a flatrock scorpion care sheet from flukers. They probably typed it wrong or there was an error but on top of the care sheet it says flat rock scorpions! So no it wasn't me go check for yourself!:)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Spaz,

I don't think he was suggesting that you copied it wrong, but rather that the person who put it together at flukers just copied the care sheet for a tropical tarantula and changed the species name and length and such.

In fact, I don't think this is the case at all. The care sheet is identical in most respects to their emperor care sheet. While it is still lacking, the care they specify isn't far off for emp care. So yeah, they did just copy it, but from the emp sheet.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thank you Dave, you are exactly correct as to assume I was merely suggesting that they, at Flukers, copied and pasted from the caresheet of a T. Indeed, you are correct about the possibility of it having been, at one time, an imperator caresheet. It appeared that way to me at first, but I caught an eye on their referral to a T, I couldn't help but assume what I did.

Hey Spaz,
I'm by all means, not an aggressive person and if I say something that may offend you, please bring it to my attention before you get snappy or defensive in return. I'll do my best to make what I am saying more clarified as to not bring conflict to this forum. Arguements only lead to misinterpreted information being posted for all other eyes to view.

later,
edw.

Last edited: