Flat rock scorp set up!

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey, I am new to scorpions but am an experienced tarantula keeper. I picked up this flat rock and I was wondering if this is a good set up for it. How can you tell it's sex btw?

It is a 5 gallon tank and the wood is about an inch from the substrate but it seems to like to chill in the plants in the back. Should I add more flat rocks to produce more "clutter" for it to climb on? Of course I keep it on the humid side.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a great looking scorp. It looks like an H. troglodytes to me. It definitely looks female, seeing how small its metasoma is. I keep mine on the dry side, only filling up the water bowl every week or two. If you can find some, you can experiment with flat slates of rock for it to hide in between.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
it looks good but i would add maybe a couple more hiding spots towards the side of the cage where the water bowl is imo

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd rather have a screen top, sand coco mix, no wood, stacked flat rock like slate and the cap of water in the corner like you have. I would use that top with a tropical species, depends on the climate in your room though. If it's cool in your room, some cut down on ventilation might get it warmer in the terr. I also like the idea of a stick-on heater plugged into a timer next to where the rocks are stacked, ..just imo, that way you could use a screen top. I really use desert substrate I got from the desert but I know it's not convenient for you to do that.

Dessicaria

Arachnopeon
Flat-rocks are an arid-country species, and like to hide, appropriately enough, between flat rocks. :) I keep mine on a substrate of gravel and have overlapping pieces of slate and shale for them to hide between - leaned up against small rocks to form a safe hiding place that won't fall down on them. I have a shallow water dish in each half of the enclosure (lid from a medium-sized can of fishfood), and a couple times a week or so I give them a light misting. I have actually seen them drink from the water dish, but only on one or two occasions, after they were transported and presumably had gotten dehydrated from travel. Still, I keep the dishes in there so they can access them as desired.

My female is at least 12 years old, so perhaps I'm doing something right. :)