Flat-back millipede galore

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
This time of the year, the flat-back are out in full force. We have so much diversity here in North Alabama. 0A568AF1-0AE2-44A2-BBC7-400764C5BE81.jpeg 99AA87B2-4DC3-4B00-8715-329D5EFFCE27.jpeg

Last edited:

davehuth

Arachnoknight
We have some amazing genera up here in NY, but our Northern species can be tough to keep in captivity. Do these from your region have trouble in captivity? Would love for you to share some of your methods.

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
We have some amazing genera up here in NY, but our Northern species can be tough to keep in captivity. Do these from your region have trouble in captivity? Would love for you to share some of your methods.
I have only had them for 2.5 weeks. I had heard that they don’t do well, so I didn’t collect a ton. I collected leaves and wood from where I found them. So far, they are breeding and I haven’t had any deaths. I will keep you appraised of the progress.

SeaNettle

Arachnopeon
I would agree with this. It's coming upon the season here (upstate NY) for lots of yellow and black flatbacks.

davehuth

Arachnoknight
I would agree with this. It's coming upon the season here (upstate NY) for lots of yellow and black flatbacks.
Hi! What Xystodesmid genera do you see in your region of NY? In the western part of the state we have Rudiloria and Apheloria.

SeaNettle

Arachnopeon
Hi! What Xystodesmid genera do you see in your region of NY? In the western part of the state we have Rudiloria and Apheloria.
It's easiest for me to say I'm in the surrounding Albany area. I've seen a lot of what looks like Brachoria hoffmani though I'm pretty certain they are not in my area. It's probably a similar-looking Brachoria. As far as other kinds not too sure.