flash

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not really new to photography, but the world of external flashes is something foreign to me. Currently I have a Nikon D90 with a Tokina 100mm F/2.8, and I'd like a proper BUDGET flash setup for it.

I think I'm going to go with a Neewer TT560 for the flash, it seems to have good reviews.

Looking for suggestions for the following:
Flash bracket
Diffuser
Off camera flash cable dealy thingy

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
If you are into flash photography, Edgerton be the man. The 'father' of the trade and close personal friend of Jacques Cousteau whom he assisted with numerous projects.
http://edgerton-digital-collections.org/

One of my all time favorite anecdotes. Edgerton was working with Cousteau rigging up camera and flash on deep sea exploration sleds. They used balsa wood to shim the equipment into position. After a trip down to ~30,000 feet the balsa wood was compressed as hard as teak.
Cousteau kept those pieces of wood, one of which he gave to his friend, Pablo Picasso. Picasso carried that piece of wood in his pocket for many years, often fondling it as he contemplated works of art. The piece eventually was given back to Cousteau, a dent worn in it from Picasso rubbing it.
Three memorable geniuses and a piece of wood.

Last edited:

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Are you looking for a diffuser specifically for the flash or diffuser material in general? If it's the former, I find nothing beats bouncing it off the wall or a low white board, using the shutterspeed/iso to compensate for the loss in power.

If it's the latter, I use everything from white curtains to frosted window material depending on how much softness I want. For me, the biggest issue for diffuser material is the color of the light after diffusion. Used shoot through umbrellas are dirt cheap too, especially the standard sized ones.

For an off camera trigger, I like all the Nikon branded ones. They're reliable, and the higher models offer 30+ sec shutterspeed. If you need a cheap/fast solution, tether your camera and use Adobe Lightroom or another app to control the trigger.

Nice glass, pls share your shots :)