Flag this

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And if I may ask how is this any different than feeding anoles or geckos? I could go so far and extend that to nearly any vertebrate prey. Perhaps this cham was a cull? You never know.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
And if I may ask how is this any different than feeding anoles or geckos? I could go so far and extend that to nearly any vertebrate prey. Perhaps this cham was a cull? You never know.
This. I see nothing wrong with it whatsoever besides it being a pricey and unneeded meal, but there is no difference in this and feeding it a mouse.

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't know if you could see where the user was from too? possibly a WC Chameleon? In that case yes.. definitely like any other feeder lizard.. my problem is here.. the cost=) I couldn't afford to feed a pixie like that......

I have fed my pacman a small rat before (not live) and it sure loved it... but it's not something i'll make a practice of.

it's i guess more disturbing to a person who keeps chameleons.. but i think everytime i feed my snake what a person who keeps rats would think... and they wouldn't be so happy either.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I guess I'm the only one that sees something wrong with feeding chameleons to other reptiles... Chameleons do not compare to other feeder lizards, rats and insects. I'm sorry, but they don't. Even if it's as common as a Veiled. :wall:

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess I'm the only one that sees something wrong with feeding chameleons to other reptiles... Chameleons do not compare to other feeder lizards, rats and insects. I'm sorry, but they don't. Even if it's as common as a Veiled. :wall:
Any reasons other than because you love chameleons? I keep pet chickens, and it pains me to watch a live chick being gupled down live by something like a frog or snake, since I know how friendly they can grow up to be. But like the above posters, it was a pretty stupid idea feeding a cham to that pyxie, but only because the guy bought the thing. (In the author's comments you can see him replying to someone stating he purchased it) But being me, I'd rather have an awesome and pretty cham than a fat, ugly, bottomless pit otherwise known as the pyxie frog - ;) But that's just my opinion, I'm not trying to offend frog lovers. An anole lover sure wouldn't like to see someone feeding another anole to a bearded dragon. Rats make GREAT pets too, if you've ever kept one, they're very affectionate. It would break a rat keepers heart seeing the life squeezed out of one by a python. Rodents, insects, reptiles, expensive chameleons...etc... can all be awesome, pretty, affectionate, and worth-while pets. But to the person next door with the 6 foot gator, they're probably just feeders. To each their own!

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
More offensive to me is how gross that frogs water looks.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
ugh. How can he do something like that! I see it as offensive!

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Chameleon=Glorified anole/gecko(And much more difficult to care for AND NASTY tempered) sorry thats just how it is.

Chameleons do not compare to other feeder lizards, rats and insects.
To YOU To me anoles are awesome and some of the best lizards out there however I also see how people can feed them to other animals (And I am also guilty of feeding anoles off to other animals back before I really appreciated them) So really I am in no position to complain about that practice. Same goes for mice and rats. And considering that cham got eaten very quickly it was far from inhumane. As another poster stated the only offensive thing to me was how gross the water was.

Last edited:

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
People are attached to certain animals.

I'm sure more people would be upset if it was a puppy being eaten by a snake or monitor. I wouldnt feed a dog or cat to any of my snakes mainly because that causes bad press with large constrictors. When really overall it wouldnt be too bad of a thing to do considering the gross overpopulation of dogs/cats. There is NO WAY that would ever fly though. Even though everyone in this thread is saying a chameleon / anole is pretty much the same thing. That comparison is VERY close to a dog / rat.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This reminds me of people who complain about dogs being eaten in Korea while they're munching on a factory farmed hamburger. By and large, meat is meat, pure and simple. If he was feeding his frog a wild caught chinese crocodile lizard, I might be offended from a conservation perspective. But an anole vs. chameleon? I fail to see the vast moral chasm between the two. They're both lizards and the fact that one is overglorified because it turns pretty colors doesn't mean the other is somehow more worthy of death. The only thing I find distasteful about this situation is that the maker of the vid was probably feeding the cham out specifically to get a rise out of people, which always reflects poorly on the hobby. Personally I'll never understand the people who get their kicks from a) watching animals being eaten or b) upsetting the people who love those animals.

My brown anoles were one of my favorite herp pets to date, hands down. Mine were smart enough to differentiate between different food containers, learned to feed at a designated feeding branch, ate from my fingers, and overall were active, curious, personable, and fascinating pets. The chameleon currently sharing my home, on the other hand, runs away whenever I so much as look at it and regardless of how often I pour food into the darn thing seems to still consider me "the enemy." I fail to see the appeal of the cham.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
People are attached to certain animals.

I'm sure more people would be upset if it was a puppy being eaten by a snake or monitor. I wouldnt feed a dog or cat to any of my snakes mainly because that causes bad press with large constrictors. When really overall it wouldnt be too bad of a thing to do considering the gross overpopulation of dogs/cats. There is NO WAY that would ever fly though. Even though everyone in this thread is saying a chameleon / anole is pretty much the same thing. That comparison is VERY close to a dog / rat.
Just...just no. You can't compare an animal that actually has the brain capacity to bond with someone and love them to a lizard or a rat. I'm not saying rats can't bond but it isn't quite the same thing. I love my snakes and tarantulas, but they CANT feel love for their keeper. We keep them for ourselves not for their sake. If you think it isn't bad to feed a puppy or cat to your snake than well I think you need to seek help.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
May be so-but if it was purely substrate I don't think the water would be quite that color unless he was using real soil as substrate. Coir falling in the water will turn things tannin colored but that looks like soup. With a small waterbowl like that it should be changed out fairly often no?

Agreed with all points RGR has made.

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just...just no. You can't compare an animal that actually has the brain capacity to bond with someone and love them to a lizard or a rat. I'm not saying rats can't bond but it isn't quite the same thing. I love my snakes and tarantulas, but they CANT feel love for their keeper. We keep them for ourselves not for their sake. If you think it isn't bad to feed a puppy or cat to your snake than well I think you need to seek help.

My point being... with all the stray dogs/cats it could be a cheap easy food source for certain pets. It wont happen but there will always be tons of abandoned dogs/cats no one is going to take in.

Joshlividum567

Arachnopeon
Ohh stop whining.This guy has done nothing wrong except wasting a decent chunk of cash.I agree with the others, Id rather have a Chameleon than that ugly frog.But how is it that they dont compare? How is a anoles life worth any less than that of this chameleon?Dont flag everyone.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, logically speaking the "all feeders are equal" argument makes the most sense. But ya know, I've always gotten the impression that the extreme feeders are simply using out-of-the-ordinary prey items simply for the shock value, to show how "bad-ass" their choice of pet predator is, as opposed to being educational or of some sort of benefit to the animal being fed. It seems the frog community has a high ratio of these Beavis and Butthead types. Toss in a mouse, lizard,snake, or whatever and fire up the heavy-metal for mood music!

I dunno. To me, feeding videos sort of give the hobby a bit of a black-eye in regards to people who who already consider keepers of exotics to be a bit odd. But in the end, I don't believe the video in question deserves to be flagged as inappropriate any more than any other feeding video does.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If you've never had a pet rat, you can't say anything at all about the subject. A scared stiff feeder who's never been handled and has no understanding of what's going on, and a rat who's been well socialized, well bred, and forms a fierce bond with their owner.. it's like comparing a stray dog or a lab dog vs. a well bred and socialized dog. Even the stray dog or the scared stiff feeder has the capacity to become an amazing pet, but it's not going to automatically come to you when you call it's name and begin grooming/licking your fingers like a rat or dog will.

I just feel it's all equal in my eyes. I don't care what it is, it's still a life. Feeding one life to another should be taken seriously, not OMG check out what my kewl pet can do! It's fierce and *insert heavy metal music* *cue loud squeeling from animal being killed (shrieking baby bunnies always get me, as do the rats and guinea pigs squeeling)* WHOA my pet can kill yours! That makes me badass!!

I keep what I keep for the love of them, to learn about them and such. Not to egg on others and make them upset just for a reaction. If I wanted that, I'd hold viewings of 2girls1cup.

Herpetologydude

Arachnosquire
Well, logically speaking the "all feeders are equal" argument makes the most sense. But ya know, I've always gotten the impression that the extreme feeders are simply using out-of-the-ordinary prey items simply for the shock value, to show how "bad-ass" their choice of pet predator is, as opposed to being educational or of some sort of benefit to the animal being fed. It seems the frog community has a high ratio of these Beavis and Butthead types. Toss in a mouse, lizard,snake, or whatever and fire up the heavy-metal for mood music!

I dunno. To me, feeding videos sort of give the hobby a bit of a black-eye in regards to people who who already consider keepers of exotics to be a bit odd. But in the end, I don't believe the video in question deserves to be flagged as inappropriate any more than any other feeding video does.
My thoughts exactly, the kid doing this video is obviously doing it for attention, and is probably not a very smart individual. Feeding a 40 dollar plus chameleon to a frog when you could do the same and probably get just a much nutrition from a mouse? Smart guy!

It really does make a lot of us keepers look bad with guys like this justifying the stereotype of "weirdos" who keep these animals. Wish people would get some damn respect.

I refrain from feeding live vertebrates unless absolutely necessary, and if I do I would not videotape and put it online. Just seems disrespectful :/