Fixed my loneliness

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I was on kijiji... looking for a job..of course i got distracted and went into the other pets sections...
they had a tarantula for sale for 50$....
I called up and bartered to 35$....
So I go excited, since its just down the road!
I go in the guys place...
guess what they are keeping her on??? NEWSPAPER!
I was like omg... he said his son was moving out and he needed to sell it.
she's pretty fat, a T's adaptability is amazing...

So her 7-8 inches of glory....
Took a few shots... Waiting on some soil at the moment. ...I have tank and lid...just need nontoxic soil....

She's not really a hair kicker, very tolerant. Got a side view size... I am sure if she's diagonally measured she would be about 8 inches, but I didn't want to stress her out too much for that.

Introducing...my new girl :)
Im sure you all know what she is hehe

enjoy
Crysta

Last edited:

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Crysta,
Welcome to the west coast!!
Thats a really sweet deal and a great species! newspaper substrate...wow:?
Enjoy your new eating machine!

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the welcome!
yeah I know :( was all dirty too :(
ehe cant wait till she gets settled in, in about a week to feed her :D

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Congrats, Crysta :)

She's very pretty.

Having fun in Van? I'm hoping that I can make it to visit sometime in the next little while (been too long since I have been home.) I will be sure to let you know, if I make it out that way. I could show you some pretty cool places also.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats Crysta! She is a beauty.. My girl does not really "eat like a machine".. I am starting to wonder if they all eat less the older they get.. Eh.. Anyways... Congrats... :)

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats Crysta! She is a beauty.. My girl does not really "eat like a machine".. I am starting to wonder if they all eat less the older they get.. Eh.. Anyways... Congrats... :)
Congrats on the sweet deal. And yeah, my big girl is not an eating machine either. My last big female (back in 2001) slowed down her eating as well. So from my experience, they do slow down as they get larger.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on the sweet deal. And yeah, my big girl is not an eating machine either. My last big female (back in 2001) slowed down her eating as well. So from my experience, they do slow down as they get larger.
Well that makes me feel better.. :D

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks everyone!
I dont mind if she doesn't eat all that much, she's beautiful just the way she is :)
I think she will enjoy to get her paws in some peat as well! So Now I am off to zellers to get some good peat, they should have some!
(still learning the best places to get it haha)

Btw way shell! I can't wait to meet you, so you better do it soon!! :) ehehe

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Crysta, grats on that nice, chunky female Lp. What a deal! :clap:

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Terry D! She is really chunky!
I have no idea what LP's are worth at this size, but its a beautiful specimen. Previously I thought they where a brownish, but this one is just a beautiful satan black!!
She's such a lovely girl :) got her aquarium (10g i think) full of dirt now and a waterdish. I think he kept her in a 15 long before, with a screen lid..... but she chewed through the first screen lid he had...so he got another screen lid which she still tried to chew though...I guess no one learns!
Now she has a nice plexi top with holes :) im working on securing it :)

Anyways, a weird behavior I noticed. She's in a small critter keeper for holding while I was putting dirt in the new home and while just sitting there starring she starts to tap her back legs really hard.... tap tap tap against the plastic. I never had one do this before. I guess she's tired of waiting and has become irritated with the small space. lol!

Heres the travel cage she was doing it in

lol! amusing...

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Thanks Terry D! She is really chunky!
I have no idea what LP's are worth at this size, but its a beautiful specimen. Previously I thought they where a brownish, but this one is just a beautiful satan black!!
She's such a lovely girl :) got her aquarium (10g i think) full of dirt now and a waterdish. I think he kept her in a 15 long before, with a screen lid..... but she chewed through the first screen lid he had...so he got another screen lid which she still tried to chew though...I guess no one learns!
Now she has a nice plexi top with holes :) im working on securing it :)

Anyways, a weird behavior I noticed. She's in a small critter keeper for holding while I was putting dirt in the new home and while just sitting there starring she starts to tap her back legs really hard.... tap tap tap against the plastic. I never had one do this before. I guess she's tired of waiting and has become irritated with the small space. lol!

Heres the travel cage she was doing it in

lol! amusing...
I'm no expert on this species, or tarantulas, or breeding, or breeding tarantulas, or answering questions, but maybe that could be the drumming when females try to find a mate? I read in a few tarantula breeding threads that the female is drumming loudly.

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've only seen females tap with their front feet for courtship/mating reasons.

she's quite a looker! good luck with her!

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would find it really odd, for a T' to be drumming when she was just transported on a public bus through lumps, for 10 minutes, then I walked 6 minutes...took pictures of her..then put her back in.... It's just odd that she would be looking for a mate after all that in my opinion lol... maybe she's lonely like me :( Also...I never knew they used just their back 2 legs for that xD

we agree on the leggie thing it seems jaymez :)
And thank you, I am sure she appreciates it.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Crysta, Yeah, it sounds a bit strange being the back legs from what I've seen/read regarding most species. (polly wanna.....:eek:) < in reference to my own comments here, btw. Lp breeders?

She sure dwarves her temporary kk, though! {D{D

A veritable steal!!

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
awesomely sweet deal you got there, she's impressive!

makes my tiiiiiiny sling look like a shrimp!

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Terry D, I like crackers ;) Although I don't think I earn them as good as other people.

Yes she is very impressive!
The guy that had her is scared of tarantulas (cause the newfiew moved out who was the original owner) and he was my god how can you get near her like that? lol! while i was gently guiding her in the kritter keeper

Anyways, the last pics ill share with you guys :) going into her new home.

Umm.. Im a really simple person. I might add some leaves and cork bark later. Also, I forgot the pot...But I will see if she burrows first. (she's been on newspaper all her life with no hide as well...)

Enjoy
Crysta

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Crysta , Yes, I agree. I was referring to my own ~ "parroting"

Your Lp is frikkin awesome :drool: - I'm writhing in a jealous fit! :D

Terry

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've only seen females tap with their front feet for courtship/mating reasons.

she's quite a looker! good luck with her!
+1 Only the first 4 legs would drum. And I love the satin black as well. Mine became satin black when turning 7" legspan. At 6" she was still that dirty brown color.