Fishing spider has a pet dead roach...?

Tigrosa

Arachnosquire
Cross-posted from the facebook group.
Hey guys, I have a really weird question. My fishing spider (Dolomedes tenebrosus) laid some unfertilized eggs a few weeks ago, and her behavior since has been very strange. I have occasionally watched her spend several hours trying to drag chunks of sphagnum up to her perch, and hold them in her jaws for extended periods of time. Earlier in the week I offered her a roach which she either attacked and didnt eat or died of natural causes. I left it in for an extra day so my isopods could eat some of it, but before I could remove it, the spider grabbed it and ate most of it. That was over forty eight hours ago, and she's still holding onto it. I tried to separate her from it at one point, but she picked it right back up again. There isn't much left of it, and I wanna take it from her because it's probably pretty gross at this point, but I just removed her from the enclosure and tried to pry it from her jaws but she flat-out refused to let go. What the hell is going on?

Tigrosa

Arachnosquire
Well I managed to get ahold of what she was towing. It seems that at some point she traded the roach carcass for another chunk of sphagnum. I have no idea where the roach is, but hopefully my isopods eat it before it gets too gross. :/

I think you're right... spiders are just weird...