Fish nets?

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The " Tools or Tricks of the Trade?" thread actually made me think of this but I didn't want to try to ask the question in the middle of it and hijack it.

There's a book my grandpa (who is now fascinated with tarantulas) checked out from the library called "Arachnomania." It was written in 1991 so I figure a lot of its information is outdated. One thing I found interesting, though, is the author says he uses small fish nets to catch and transport his tarantulas. Now, I've often thought about having one of these one hand to catch escapees (when a catch cup just won't work). I'm worried, though, that this method would possibly injure the tarantula by entangling them.

Does anyone use or have any stories/experiences with using a fish net to catch and/or transfer a tarantula?

I've searched the boards and can't find any stories about people using them (other than sporadic references about cornering a t w/ a fish net) so I'm guessing the 1991 data is extremely old.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I should imagine it may increase the risk of the spider loosing a leg, that being said if the mesh was fine enough it wouldn't.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I should imagine it may increase the risk of the spider loosing a leg, that being said if the mesh was fine enough it wouldn't.
It would still make me nervous. It seems like their tiny claws could get hung up on almost any kind of fabric; especially in a hectic situation.

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It would still make me nervous. It seems like their tiny claws could get hung up on almost any kind of fabric; especially in a hectic situation.
Yeah, that's what I'd be worried about. The last thing I would want to do is have to free a very angry, tangled up spider from a net. The last thing I'd want happen to the t is have it injure itself by thrashing around trying to get free.

I wonder how the author of the book was able to do it? He also mentioned something about sliding some cardboard under the trapped t and picking it up. Maybe in his cases the t was standing on the cardboard and not caught in a net. :confused: