Fish Food & Crickets

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Does anyone here feed their crickets fish food? And if so has anyone noticed if it causes them to smell worse than other types of food?

I fed a cricket to one of my Latrodectus and she didn't eat it right away. Thr following evening it smelled like vinegar I side the enclosure and I had to change the substrate.

Just trying to see if there are any connections here and if so to alter practices to eliminate this occurrence from happening again.

Thanks

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I feed my roaches fish food and rabbit pellets.
The kind for pond fish.
I haven't noticed it making any difference compared to any other protein source.

jay444

Arachnosquire
I use organic dry cat food as protein source for my feeder crickets

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use organic dry cat food as protein source for my feeder crickets
Because you have cats, or..?

Does anyone here feed their crickets fish food? And if so has anyone noticed if it causes them to smell worse than other types of food?

I fed a cricket to one of my Latrodectus and she didn't eat it right away. Thr following evening it smelled like vinegar I side the enclosure and I had to change the substrate.

Just trying to see if there are any connections here and if so to alter practices to eliminate this occurrence from happening again.

Thanks
I’ve had this happen with crickets, not fed 🐠 food

jay444

Arachnosquire
Because you have cats, or..?

I’ve had this happen with crickets, not fed 🐠 food
Nope I don't have any cats actually. I just find dry cat food pellets to be the most useful. They don't really smell, stay in the food dish and have a really high protein content. Plus, crickets reallllly like them. When I bring new crickets in the colony they instantly jump on the cat food.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Seems like crickets are susceptible regardless.

Okay thanks all.