First wlid sighting.

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
Well today I saw my first wild T. I was eating lunch at work (construction) when I noticed a rather large spider cross the drive way, thinking it was a really large true spider ,I felt compelled to check this little (2 1/2") fella out.upon closure inspection it turned out to be an Aphonopelma something something.I could not believe I was seeing this I had heard stories of mature males looking for love in this area but have never seen one.This was a beautiful juvie, I took a stick and touched it's leg to check it's temperament and wham it struck and took me by surprise , then it threw up an awesome threat display,unlike any of my captive bred T's.That got me thinking how much nature versus nurture plays in to the temperament of any given T, even semi skittish T's can become relatively accustom to occasional human contact (with certain obvious exceptions). This little guy had no desire to interact with me, initially I considered taking him home but decided against it he was born free and who was i to change that. So this weekend the kids and I go spider watching.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Pics or it didn't happen ;) . Lol. Anyways, congrats on seeing your first wild T. Have fun on that spider watching.

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
Dude I'm old school I don't even have a cell phone at work,let alone something to take a picture with,if it weren't for my wife I couldn't have even figured out how to use the intra net.:?:?

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Dude I'm old school I don't even have a cell phone at work,let alone something to take a picture with,if it weren't for my wife I couldn't have even figured out how to use the intra net.:?:?
...I was just kidding. I thought the "lol" was an implication of that.

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
very nice! based on the size and attitude it could also have been Calisoga longitarsus or another Calisoga sp., not a tarantula, but a mygalomorph all the same. what color was it? lucky man, very lucky! I've searched for native mygalomorphs in my area for almost 25 years and have yet to see one. granted this part of ny only has 2 species. I'm envious for sure.

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
You were kidding I know, but I'm not I'am technology illiterate,it really is sad.:confused:

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
very nice! based on the size and attitude it could also have been Calisoga longitarsus or another Calisoga sp., not a tarantula, but a mygalomorph all the same. what color was it? lucky man, very lucky! I've searched for native mygalomorphs in my area for almost 25 years and have yet to see one. granted this part of ny only has 2 species. I'm envious for sure.
I considered that it may have been a Calisoga ,but from pictures I have seen of them they have very little hair and this little guy was pretty fuzzy.It was a deep almost chocolate brown.Do calisoga have true spider fang position or are they oriented more like tarantulas. Because this guys fangs looked just like all my T's.either way very cool:drool:

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Calisoga, like all mygalomorphs, incluing tarantulas, have vertically oriented fangs. Calisoga look like tarantulas, small tarantulas. Personally I've got a bit of a thing for Calisoga, and most dwarf tarantulas. theres actually some amazing pics of Calisoga longitarsus and Calisoga theveneti on arachnoboards. they definitely look like tarantulas, one of their common names being false tarantula. either way, lucky you.

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm always jealous of folks that live in areas with cool critters. In my yard we have earwigs. I hope you and the kids have a great time searching, good luck!