First Tropical T!

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Just got a Pampho sp. Goliath from my local fair. Really well taken care of with the staple pattern on it's back :D Never knew how awesome their feeding response was until it fought a roach it's size o_O Love it!

Attachments

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Congrats! I have two of these lovely Theraphosidae! You might want to add in a hide or two as they're pretty nervous when they're small btw.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Great choice. To me, a sign of some sophistication in tarantula taste is someone who has tropical NW terrestrials. Some really impressive species there.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Worried about it, since it's my first NW tropical sp., but hopefully it will last! Also, would it be able to scavange? It let go of the roach earlier (MAY have been too big). Will it just eat the body, or should I take out the roach and wait a few days and try a smaller and easier feeder for it to take down?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Worried about it, since it's my first NW tropical sp., but hopefully it will last! Also, would it be able to scavange? It let go of the roach earlier (MAY have been too big). Will it just eat the body, or should I take out the roach and wait a few days and try a smaller and easier feeder for it to take down?
It'll scavenge.

I just got two of this species on Friday, and I love their patterning!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Nice! Just gave her a hide, what size are yours and do you give them a hide at about a little over an inch?
Bob got them from the same dealer I did so I'll just answer as well (hope you don't mind @BobBarley lol), ours are around 1-1.5". I provide a hide at all stages of life, be it a fake leaf or a piece of cork bark with hole excavated underneath it.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Here's a photo of my set up for juvie Ts that outgrow deli containers (including the Goliath I just recurred), excuse the bad quality please:

image.jpeg

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I did give them a hide, and they are about 1.5" as @Phormic28 said. I've never seen either of them in the hide though.
Really? That's interesting, I've seen both of mine in their hide and they usually stay in there during the day and come out during the night.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Really? That's interesting, I've seen both of mine in their hide and they usually stay in there during the day and come out during the night.
Yeah both of them are always out, and interestingly, my male 4" Lasiodora parahybana is more skittish thus far. Could just be that they are taking longer to settle in, but I'm unsure.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Yeah both of them are always out, and interestingly, my male 4" Lasiodora parahybana is more skittish thus far. Could just be that they are taking longer to settle in, but I'm unsure.
So far mine have been great eaters, unlike the iffy P. antinous. However they do tend to just roll their mealworms around sometimes, will have to take a video of it sometimes!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
So far mine have been great eaters, unlike the iffy P. antinous. However they do tend to just roll their mealworms around sometimes, will have to take a video of it sometimes!
Lol, sounds awesome! I haven't fed either of them yet but I will today.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I have 3 Pamphobeteus Platyomma....which is the same genus different species these guys are eating machines.

Mine molted once or twice since I got em in July and once I get them to Arizona they'll be scarfing down a lot of roaches.

they haven't been fed for the last two week because I didn't want them molting during the trip through the mail and die in the process.

I'm going to probably buy three more