first timer with some unanswered questions

PSUForester

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, I just got a 9 month old Emperor scorpion from a friend of a friend. His scorpion had had the babies. I've been reading up on care of them but I still have a few questions...

I’ve been reading that babies are very susceptable to injury or death while they’re motling, due to being smaller and more fragile, and also that sufficient humidity will help prevent this. My question is, how true is this? I’m worried I won’t be able to get the humidity up to where it should be and I don’t have a gauge to check. I think he's in his 2nd instar, but I'm not sure. I didn't know to ask when I got it. The scorp's about the size of half my thumb, and the typical brown color I've been seeing on pictures.

Also, when do they start turning black?

I've got him in a critter container with some of that petstore jungle substrate, a couple rocks, and a watercap/dish. The humidity is decent, but I'm have trouble getting it to where there is condensation on the side.

I'll note, I have a Chilean rose tarantula too, which I've had for about 4 months. He's doing awesome and rockin in a sweet terraium.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Humidity will increase if the container is kept with minimal air loss, so you need it almost closed. The substrate should be slightly dampened, but not wet. Others might be able to elaborate more on this.

Urizen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've got him in a critter container with some of that petstore jungle substrate, a couple rocks, and a watercap/dish. The humidity is decent, but I'm have trouble getting it to where there is condensation on the side.
Condensation is not what you need to be aiming for, this will encourage fungal/bacterial growth. Hydrometers can be rubbish, but try one, you need 75-80%. If the temp is right, and the substrate is moist, then there shouldnt be a problem.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Urizen has a good point, pay more attention to the moisture in the soil ect. Condensation is only a result of differences in temperature, warm inside the enclosure and colder outside would cause condensation to form, similarly a cold enclosure and a warmer outer temperature would also cause condensation to form, so as Urizen said, that's a poor indicator of what you've trying to accomplish.

PSUForester

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, just an update...

The baby scorp is doing pretty good. I've got some decent humidity, and some nice deep substrate. He even caught and ate his first cricket yesterday! It was a battle, with some chasing and mis-grabs, but he eventually caught it.

The scorp hasn't really gone into hiding much yet. It's daylight in my room, and he's still just hanging out outside his little rock cave. I thought they hide during the daylight?

He's doing good though. Very fiesty. He really went to town on the cricket, haha. I had two in there at the time, and while he was eating the one cricket, he tried catching the other when it walked by. He missed the snag, but just barely. He didnt seem to want the other one afterwards, so I took it out.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think this species is considered to be at least partially diurnal. You must have the humdity somewhere near what it should be if the scorpion is happy to sit out..sounds good. Good Luck!

PSUForester

Arachnopeon
Cool...looks like everything is going good then.

Here's a question I just thought of....

After a molt, what happens then? How long does it take for the new exoskeleton to form and the scorp is safe from prying crickets.

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
After a molt, what happens then? How long does it take for the new exoskeleton to form and the scorp is safe from prying crickets
The exoskeleton is already formed but it's soft and pliable. Within a few days you should notice the exoskeleton developing a brownish colour turning to a darker brown after about a week.

PSUForester

Arachnopeon
I see. That's cool then.

When scorps molt, do they flip on their backs, like tarantulas?

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see. That's cool then.

When scorps molt, do they flip on their backs, like tarantulas?
some do. My Parabuthus transvaalicus and Androctonus crassicauda is on their back when they molt. My L.q and Androctonus mauritanicus molts normal.

If you search for P.transvaalicus. you'll see a bunch of molting pics.

Last edited: