First time witnessing a molt.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow. This is pure luck. My Aphonopelma seemani is molting as we speak. It's around 3:30 AM, and I was sleeping, but luckily I woke up feeling a little cold. So I walked over to adjust the thermastat, then I decided to go check on her. Low and behold she is on her back. Looks like I haven't missed anything yet. I'm going to be up all night watching. X) I'm not so lucky when it comes to my camera just running out of batteries, so sorry that I have no pictures to show you all. -_-

Hopefully this will turn out great with no problems.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have had my seemani for 5 years and never saw a molt.
Lucky you.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow..

If it helps, I've never seen mine eat haha.

I probably would have missed it if I didn't happen to wake up when I did.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
seeing a moult is a beautiful thing. congrats.

moose

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i usually toss stuff at mine and it eats it outright.
if it runs in burrow, i wrap a thread around worm and have it go spelunker.

omni

Arachnobaron
I WISH i could catch my PZB molting! I think she's going to do it this spring, maybe i can catch it. She's molted 2x in last 5 yrs, last time was summer 05. I really didnt have a clue that she was going to molt any time. Gotta b a rare event to watch :)

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good idea with feeding haha.. maybe after she's molted she'll have a bigger appetite in a week or so.

Right now she's still laying on her back, and her legs have began to move back and forth a little. Her abdomen is facing me so I can't really get a better glance at her.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, looks like she's finally off her back.. I can't see the new and improved girl yet, but her exuvium is pressed up against the entrance and I guess she's busy pulling away from it. X) Not long to go I'm sure.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you have not sexed it yet you should steal the molt now so you can.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Haha well, I still think she's attached to it. X)

I was informed she was definitely female from where I got her (Tarantula Inc), but I will surely get the exuvium out when she's finished with it.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, looks like she's finally off her back..
Well I was confused then cause you said she was flipped back over, and if she is then she is not (well should not) be attached to anything anymore.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ah ok I'm sorry. I guess she is still on her back pushing out of the carapace.. the exuvium is pressed up at the entrance looking like it's standing on its abdomen.. I guess I meant to say she just isn't laying there twitching anymore haha.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The molt was a success! The exuvium was taken out intact, and my dad got the great idea to put it on the kitchen counter for my mom to come across. She screamed bloody murder for a few minutes, then started to laugh at the whole thing.. she has big plans to use it to scare my grandmother. -_-

As for my little seemani, she is now a very beautiful light-bluish color with white stripes.. very stunning compared to the dusky brown color she looked when I purchased her. Hopefully I'll be able to get some pics up of her amazing color before she darkens into black. :)