First time with slings: Honduran Curly Hair Tarantula Sling

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
I'm considering getting a honduran curly hair tarantula sling, the one I'm looking at is around a quarter inch. I'm doing my research and I just want o make sure I have my information straight before I bring the little guy home. I'm assuming the deli cup is far too big for it rn so I have access to a medium sized prescription pill bottle that is 2 inches in diameter and 3.75 inches tall that I will perforate with a tumb tack (sides and top). I have cocofiber that I will sterilize in an oven and I'm plaining on filling the jar about 1/2 way. I have a mister and from my reading it seems to be advisable to mist only one side of the enclosure for the sling to drink from at this size (although I also have acess to some pipets that I could use if a mister provides too much water). I was also planning on picking up a wingless furit fly culture while I was getting the sling (scales n tails) so I could fead it without having to worry about pin head crickets munching on my new T. I have acess to some smaller fake plants that I'll throw in the enclosure to make some shelter. Also IDK if this is absolutly insane, but I just remembered I have acess to an old chicken incubator that I could use to maintian more stable humidity and temprature for my sling. To emphasize, I have very little experience and I am eager for any advice that you all can offer! You all have been incredibly supportive to newcomers to the hobby like me!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I'm assuming the deli cup is far too big for it rn
It all depends what size deli cup you are getting.

505BC2F1-E247-4EFE-90B2-085CD939CD50.jpeg

I was also planning on picking up a wingless furit fly culture while I was getting the sling (scales n tails) so I could fead it without having to worry about pin head crickets munching on my new T.
I wouldn’t go for fruit flies.

Mealworms are much easier.

If you pre kill it, no need to worry about getting your sling gets killed.

Though, let it hunts. It’s a born hunter.

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
Gotcha! That's actualy a relief, my leopard gecko needs mealworms anyway so I already have a stock handy

what size is the delly cup you're using in the picture?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
what size is the delly cup you're using in the picture?
It’s the one you are getting from fast food restaurants. Condiment cups that come with ketchup, hot sauce, salsa, chili, etc.

I believe it’s 2oz size cup.

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
alright, I'll see if I can find one, however would the prescription bottle I mentioned work?
Also, what are the draw back with fruit flies? (just curious)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Flightless fruit flies...never again. Scavenged cricket/mealworm parts are safer, easier, cheaper, more nutritious for tiny slings. Just be sure to remove what's left of them after a day to avoid mold.

Braden

Arachnoknight
I kept my 1/4'' curly in a deli cup. She was tiny in it but she did fine. I fed her bits and pieces of cricket and mealworm. I kept the substrate relatively damp but not wet. She is now 1.5'' after like 6 months give or take, I kind of forget but that's in the ball park. I only use fff for my ghost mantis nymphs, I hate fff lol)

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Keep it simple, they are like mini excavators, just add substraight and they’ll pretty much wreck the place up.

Here’s my sling. Used to be packed and leveled substraight and now it’s just a straight up hot mess with tunnels all over the place. Very cool T IMO.
CA005FD7-341A-46E9-89E2-D330A6ED6C95.jpeg

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
Thank you all!! I have my little guy in a sufle cup and just fed him a pin head cricket which he jumped on! He has some stuck molt on his petapalp but otherise seems in fine spirits!

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
What type of substrate do you all use? My little guy doesn't have any burrows and I think the store I got it from (Scales and tails) was keeping it way to humid (not sure though...)

Sterls

Arachnobaron
What type of substrate do you all use? My little guy doesn't have any burrows and I think the store I got it from (Scales and tails) was keeping it way to humid (not sure though...)
Coco fiber is fine, no need to sterilize it. I've also used reptisoil, topsoil/vermiculite.

Don't set up the incubator, it's not necessary. Humidity doesn't matter and room temp is fine. I keep my T albo sling's substrate a little moist as slings are more susceptible to dessication.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You do not need to do this and if you do it will likely mold easier
Yeah, I tried that back when I was a noob (I think it was more to dry it out than to sterilise it) and ended up with thick blue mould all down the sides of my B. emilia enclosure within days of setting it up.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, I tried that back when I was a noob (I think it was more to dry it out than to sterilise it) and ended up with thick blue mould all down the sides of my B. emilia enclosure within days of setting it up.
Yup that’ll do it 🤣

Yeah I think people don’t realize that, sterilizing often does the opposite effect, it reduces natural biotic competition, thus have some big outbreak, and then Think that they must not have sterilized it properly lol

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Yup that’ll do it 🤣

Yeah I think people don’t realize that, sterilizing often does the opposite effect, it reduces natural biotic competition, thus have some big outbreak, and then Think that they must not have sterilized it properly lol
Applying heat to it and then moisture surely also helps break the cocofiber down faster, which would absolutely faciliate its consumption by molds, yes?

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
Heyyy I'm not sure if anyone will get this for a while, but I was wondering if it was ok to put the sling in one of those deli cups, I know other people have done it, but I just wanted to double check theres nothing special I need to do for it? (I'll be filling it up with coco fiber with some orchid bark if that matters)