First time turantula owner and i held her

wackywazup

Arachnopeon
So i just wanted to say i hated spider deeply but i felt that if i got one id get over my fear and well i got the opertunity to buy one from a friend who couldnt take care of her shes 3 years old and is around 3.5 inches and i finally got the nerve to hold her and she did well mind shes a rosie and most are calm i think i did well i also let my sis and my brother hold her :D shes the coolest im now a spider lover and plan on getting 1 more which will be a p. metallic if i can find one

Lolita

Arachnoknight
just keep in mind pokies definitely aren't rosies and they are fast moving and have pretty potent venom my friend got tagged by a P regalis sling and was sick for 2 weeks and he has a pretty tough constitution when it comes to venom so i don't recommend handling a p metallica but congrats on getting over your fear crixus my male red knee got my mom over her fear of spiders

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
face your fear

Grats on facing your fear! I am fascinated with spiders yet afraid...well not really arachnophobic..rather arachno-cautious lol. Im getting my H.incei tomorrow if mail goes well, also i'm getting a small c.elegans :) i'm so excited, and nervous at the same time. prob wont hold any for a bit, but caring for them will be a start in the right direction.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
So i just wanted to say i hated spider deeply but i felt that if i got one id get over my fear and well i got the opertunity to buy one from a friend who couldnt take care of her shes 3 years old and is around 3.5 inches and i finally got the nerve to hold her and she did well mind shes a rosie and most are calm i think i did well i also let my sis and my brother hold her :D shes the coolest im now a spider lover and plan on getting 1 more which will be a p. metallic if i can find one
Be sure you do research on how to take care of arboreal species. Pokie can be a handful and like to escape.

Also make sure you do research how to care for a sling as well

Last edited:

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i would say its more that even a p. metallica sling is a sizeable investment, at least in the hobby, and is quite a bit different than an adult G. rosea in every category (care/temperment/price/housing).

pokies aren't nearly as terrible as i think sometimes the "newb" warnings here make them out to be though, ime. i haven't been bit yet (and don't aim on trying to provoke a bite), but they seem to be a lot less recalcitrant than claimed, and usually shy away from intrusions. i had one rehousing go less than smoothly (an ornata, of course, right? :p), but other than that, pretty good from my three.

also, congrats OP. i used to scream like a little girl at the first sign of most bugs, and especially spiders. now,only a year later i go hunting around my yard and house for them, and get called over to catch any wandering "visitors" in the house by my roommates ;)

Last edited:

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to have arachnophobia before getting my first rosea about 2.5 years ago, and now I have 33 Tarantulas, 21 scorpions, a tailless whip scorp and a black widow, lol.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ya it's funny how these gigantic spiders turn someone who is scared to death of spiders into someone who thinks they are the coolest things around...lol. I always hated spiders. My friend Tom had a M Smithi before I knew him and it had since passed and when I found out it brought back memories of the one my brother had when I was about 12. Well, I decided to try and get one as a b-day gift for Tom one year and started reading up on them. Never realized there were sooo many different species. I finally got a F 2" Smithi for him. Well, I ended up taking care of her for a good month cause he was moving. Say no more...I had a hard time handing her over...lol and I vowed then I HAD to get one of my own. Well, within a year I now have 4. That will soon grow to 10 cause I have a M GBB coming soon and I have 5 Avic Versi slings reserved. And so the addiction begins. They do still spook me a little cause they can move quick. So for any newbies out there...DO YOUR HOMEWORK!! You can never learn enough. I am a better "spidermom" because of reading up first.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
pokies aren't nearly as terrible as i think sometimes the "newb" warnings here make them out to be though, ime. i haven't been bit yet (and don't aim on trying to provoke a bite), but they seem to be a lot less recalcitrant than claimed, and usually shy away from intrusions. i had one rehousing go less than smoothly (an ornata, of course, right? :p), but other than that, pretty good from my three.
idk my friend got tagged by his P regalis sling and he's pretty tough but that one knocked him on his butt plus last night i was over at his house looking over one of his P regalis slings since it was in a opaque container and he wanted me to try to sex it we moved it to a catcher cup so i could look and when we were moving it back in somehow got on me (don't ask me how the little thing moves like lightning) even though all i was doing was holding the lid to the container and as soon as it got onto me it threat postured i almost peed myself i held my breath and it took it's threat posture down and my friend coaxed it into it's container again maybe i'm just scared of pokies but yikes i wasn't expecting that

wackywazup

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys ya i plan on doing lots of research cause i live in alaska so climate changes are weird for me and i want less stress on the spider as possible i dont plan to hold the p. metallic for a while ill let it get used to its new home and ill study watch its reactment to the food ect befor i handle it.. i plan to get a sling and stuff and document it got a new camera that can do all the stuff for me take pics on timely bases and stuff.. but ya im a huge spider lover mine loves to be held its weird i see her taping at the glass and got to thinking so i put my hand in there and she walks right over to it and climbs in and idk she like lays almost flat on her stomach imediatly its weird

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks guys ya i plan on doing lots of research cause i live in alaska so climate changes are weird for me and i want less stress on the spider as possible i dont plan to hold the p. metallic for a while ill let it get used to its new home and ill study watch its reactment to the food ect befor i handle it.. i plan to get a sling and stuff and document it got a new camera that can do all the stuff for me take pics on timely bases and stuff.. but ya im a huge spider lover mine loves to be held its weird i see her taping at the glass and got to thinking so i put my hand in there and she walks right over to it and climbs in and idk she like lays almost flat on her stomach imediatly its weird
Same thing does my big female p metallica, just lais down. But they do not like it, she might just be curious or just do it because! They dont know what you are, maybe they just think you are some branch on a tree that just got in the way of their path;-)

wackywazup

Arachnopeon
Here a nother one though has your spider looked like its been in a deathcurl befor cause iv caught mine go into almost a deathcurl and scared the crap outa me so i went in gave a lil tap to the rear legs and she up and moved just fine i checked the water and its fine it about 72% dry in there which seems where she likes it any more she walks around a lot any less she starts climbing the walls