First Time T Owner....any advice???

StephSully

Arachnopeon
So I just ordered a Sun Tiger and a Brazilian Black....they should be here by the middle of next week. Any advice for me???

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
First time owner might rethink the P.irminia (sun tiger).They are very fast and often defensive there are ton of more suitable options for beginners.

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
General info

Do not feed your T's mice, this causes tarantulas to have problems when they molt and that could possably kill your T. some people feed pinky mice every few months but i dont recomend it.

Use coconut fiber substrate (eco earth brand) it is the best bedding for T's. do not use wood chips or sand! these both can hurt your T.

Do not use under tank heating or a lamp, this can burn and dehydrate your T. just keep in a warm room!

Dont use a sponge for water, just a water dish will work.

For tarrestrial T's make sure you have alot of substrate (4-6 inches)so they can burrow. another good idea is to fill the tank enough so that if the T ended up climbing to the top and fell then it wouldnt get hurt.

If handling a T hold it close to the ground. This is best because if it decides to jump or falls off your hand it will not have a dangerous fall. holding over a bed or rug is always better than wood or tile floor aswell.

Info on the two T's

P.Irminia (Tanzanian sun tiger)

This T is Defensive and feels threatend easily so it will bite! be carefull and do not try to hold this T. These guys are also aboreal so they love to climb. provide it with a tank that is taller than it is wide.

G.Pulcher (Brazilian Black)

This is a great beginner T! it is not verry defensive and very docile. this is a good choice if you want to handle your T but still practice caution. this is a terrestrial T so it will be dwelling on the ground or in a burrow more than on the sides of the tank.

I hope this helps you :) if you have any questions feel free to message me! good luck with the T's

Last edited:

StephSully

Arachnopeon
General info

Do not feed your T's mice, this causes tarantulas to have problems when they molt and that could possably kill your T. some people feed pinky mice every few months but i dont recomend it.

Use coconut fiber substrate (eco earth brand) it is the best bedding for T's. do not use wood chips or sand! these both can hurt your T.

Do not use under tank heating or a lamp, this can burn and dehydrate your T. just keep in a warm room!

Dont use a sponge for water, just a water dish will work.

For tarrestrial T's make sure you have alot of substrate (4-6 inches)so they can burrow. another good idea is to fill the tank enough so that if the T ended up climbing to the top and fell then it wouldnt get hurt.

If handling a T hold it close to the ground. This is best because if it decides to jump or falls off your hand it will not have a dangerous fall. holding over a bed or rug is always better than wood or tile floor aswell.

Info on the two T's

P.Irminia (Tanzanian sun tiger)

This T is Defensive and feels threatend easily so it will bite! be carefull and do not try to hold this T. These guys are also aboreal so they love to climb. provide it with a tank that is taller than it is wide.

B.Pulcher (Brazilian Black)

This is a great beginner T! it is not verry defensive and very docile. this is a good choice if you want to handle your T but still practice caution. this is a terrestrial T so it will be dwelling on the ground or in a burrow more than on the sides of the tank.

I hope this helps you :) if you have any questions feel free to message me! good luck with the T's

Lots of info!! THANK YOU!

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B.Pulcher (Brazilian Black)

This is a great beginner T! it is not very defensive and very docile. this is a good choice if you want to handle your T but still practice caution. this is a terrestrial T so it will be dwelling on the ground or in a burrow more than on the sides of the tank.
Uhh.. don't you mean G. pulchra?

BillieJean

Arachnopeon
Some more info from someone who got his first tarantula (G. pulchra) just a few months ago:

Watch a few videos of tarantulas molting, so when you see your tarantula molting, you'll know what's happening and won't be worried about it. When it begins to molt leave it be, I've seen a few threads recently where people killed their tarantulas because they tried to 'help' it while it was molting. Know not to do this.

Eventually you'll want to learn how to sex your tarantula. That link is a really good reference, but you should read through it a couple times (I definitely didn't understand it the first time through). You can also practice by seeing how others sex tarantulas on this forum.

Protip: the epigastric furrow is not a reproductive organ.

EDIT: I should mention that I also got two Poecilotheria (for a friend) along with my pulchra. They can be quick, so be be cautious when feeding and rehousing—cool them so they aren't as active when rehousing. As long as you do your research and exercise some caution and common sense, you and your new friends should have a blast together :)

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
EDIT: I should mention that I also got two Poecilotheria (for a friend) along with my pulchra. They can be quick, so be be cautious when feeding and rehousing—cool them so they aren't as active when rehousing. As long as you do your research and exercise some caution and common sense, you and your new friends should have a blast together :)
Im not saying anything against your post.. Except the OP didnt get a Poecilotheria.. The OP got a Psalmopoeus.. ;) Not they the OP should show less respect.. Becuase they shouldnt.. The Psalmo. genus is (IMO) faster.. More flighty... Quicker to bite than a Pokie..

I say this because all my pokies.. Run & hide.. All my Psalmos... Dont....

StephSully

Arachnopeon
Gooty Sapphire Ornamental?

Ok guys....being completely new to this hobby, I need some help. Someone has recently offered me a spiderling for ridiculously cheap. I know how prized these guys are and how expensive they are. What can you tell me about their attitude? I need to make a decision today as to if I take him/her or not. Thanks for your help once again!!!!!!!

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would go for it if it's really cheap.....Since spiderlings of P. metallica are around 75€ normally.... They are quick, fast growing species, sometimes they get quickly spooked.... I haven't seen any spider of these species to be agressive and saw quite a few...They can get defensive sometimes. But they are the calmest of this species. Overall they are so great bird spiders so its on my to get list. I wish I will be able to get dark form though they are very rare..... But nothing is prittier than that jet black with white ornament on their abdomen and white and yellow stripes over their legs!

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Ok guys....being completely new to this hobby, I need some help. Someone has recently offered me a spiderling for ridiculously cheap. I know how prized these guys are and how expensive they are. What can you tell me about their attitude? I need to make a decision today as to if I take him/her or not. Thanks for your help once again!!!!!!!
I was in the same situation and went for it - - - one of my two favorite T's to this point. Mine is ALWAYS out on display, and only retreats a few steps when I do maintenance arount it. Last week it displayed the famous teleporting speed for me. Four of us were watching the cricket I had just dropped in - - T was on the far side of the cage - - suddenly the cricket just disappeared and reappeared in the fangs of the T back on the other side wall of the enclosure. Fantastic fun!

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Go to the bite forum & read the threads from people who have been bitten by a pokie.

Pokies are awesome. They are very beautiful & pretty easy to care for. They're more skittish then anything.

You just need to be prepared for if you want to handle that level of venom should you get bitten.

Edited to add: As long as person knows what they are getting into & understands what could happen, I don't see anything wrong with a new person having one. I got my first pokie & H. maculata within a month of joining the hobby.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Advice??? Yeah, do your home work before you purchase your T's not when their coming in next week.

Enjoy your new T's.

PIG-

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Irminias aren't THAT bad.. Just don't poke and prod at them like you would the blacks...

One of my first t's and loved it..

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
to the author of this thread. i would stay with the pulchra but maybe instead of imirina pick up a b. smithi or g.pulchripes