First time pink toe tarantula, advice?

Lyssa G

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone! I recently just got a Pink Toe Sling Tarantula, about an inch big. I just had some questions that I couldn't find a consistent answer for!

1. How often should I be feeding it and how much? I've seen some forums/sites say a cricket everyday whereas others have said 2-3 days is fine
2. Enclosure setup? It of course came in just the standard plastic container but since it is an arboreal species should I change the container into a candy jar type so that I can open it from the bottom or even buy a proper container? If so should I be poking air holes into the sides as well as the top?
3. Enclosure conditions? With the humidity and such how do you guys keep it at the proper level? I've read that the containers soil should be kept on the dry side (I accidentally made it pretty damp before I read some forums on here) should I just wait till it dries or is it better to replace the soil? I also read that I shouldn't be spraying the container too often, if so how often should I be spraying water into the enclosure? Besides doing that how should I maintain the humidity?

Its moved around its little webbing quite a bit but I haven't really seen it come down from there so I'm not too sure if its had any water from its dish since I've gotten it (3 days). At first I also just put a cricket in the container and came to notice that it hasn't come down to hunt for it. Should I just tweezer feed it directly or will it eventually come down to hunt if I throw some in?

I'm just a bit worried and overthinking the smaller details on how to raise/keep this pet well. Any sort of advice or tips would help a lot!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Read on:

Lyssa G

Arachnopeon
Read on:

This literally answers everything, thank you I appreciate it!!!

cold blood

Staff member
How often should I be feeding it and how much? I've seen some forums/sites say a cricket everyday whereas others have said 2-3 days is fine
You wont find a consistent answer here as there literally is no "correct" answer. You can feed often, or sparingly and the t will still grow into an adult in time. Feeding schedules simply put, don't apply to tarantulas. As a generally rule, after a t molts, it will always be at its thinnest, and therefore be at its hungriest. As the t plumps, its food needs decrease and when fat, they need no food.

Now how you feed can affect things you deal with...like if you binge feed, the t will plump quickly and eventually stop eating. While this isn't harmful, it will lead directly to a long fasting period and possibly a long period of inactivity and reclusive behavior. On the other end, if you feed sparingly, it will take a long time to plump and start refusing food, and such a slow food input can extend the molt cycle and can slow growth considerably...but likewise, a slow grower isn't harmful.

See, every molt cycle, every t will need a specific amount of time before its physically ready to molt, and this length of time will increase dramatically as the t grows. Every cycle that same t will also have a certain nutritional need that needs to be met. To maximize growth, one simply needs to have its nutritional needs met by the time its physically ready to molt. Its very very easy to meet these nutritional needs before the physical needs are met, so most people actually feed more often than necessary, which is why long pre-molt fasts are pretty commonplace...again, not harmful.

Temps also play a role, as cycles decrease as temps rise, but considering temps are the same, the above will apply regardless.

So you can basically feed as often as you like, or take time off and go on vacation if you like and it won't matter to the long term health of the t.

Enclosure setup? It of course came in just the standard plastic container but since it is an arboreal species should I change the container into a candy jar type so that I can open it from the bottom or even buy a proper container? If so should I be poking air holes into the sides as well as the top?
There really is no advantage to moving it unless its set up poorly. Top opening or bottom opening are both fine and its really your choice. I prefer top opening and love the deli cups for raising avics as they are really easily ventilated and make for a great temporary enclosure (all sling enclosures are temporary).

. Enclosure conditions? With the humidity and such how do you guys keep it at the proper level? I've read that the containers soil should be kept on the dry side (I accidentally made it pretty damp before I read some forums on here) should I just wait till it dries or is it better to replace the soil? I also read that I shouldn't be spraying the container too often, if so how often should I be spraying water into the enclosure? Besides doing that how should I maintain the humidity?
You are all kinds of mixed up here. I see info from here on AB, mixed with terrible care sheet info.

There is NO humidity requirement...its not even something you need to think about. Ventilation is the most important thing, and its all about air movement. But people always make more of ventilation than they need to and over-ventilation has almost become the norm...which is fine, as too little is far more detrimental.

With good airflow, having damp sub will not be an issue, so you can likely just let it dry out, but if its soaking wet, then yes, I would change it out.

Spraying it is done for drinking opportunities, not for humidity control. You can lightly mist, and I mean lightly....on occasion if you like, just don't feel like you need to do it frequently.
Should I just tweezer feed it directly or will it eventually come down to hunt if I throw some in?
There is no need to help the t eat, simply drop in an appropriately sized cricket and leave it to the sling to do the hunting.

I'm just a bit worried and overthinking the smaller details
You are certainly over-thinking things, no doubt, but its ok, it's better than reading one care sheet and thinking you have it all down forever. It's hard-to-find good advice on the internet, there is a lot of garbage out there, which is why places like AB are so important as you can get advice from actual keepers, many of us long time keepers and/or breeders, and with the good activity levels here, bad info is quickly corrected. In general, just ignore most of what you read from unknown sources and avoid care sheets like they are STDs.

Lyssa G

Arachnopeon
Why would buy an animal FIRST if you’re asking those questions?

You’re welcome.
I've read plenty off of Google, watched videos though the years, talked to a friend who owns a tarantula and even talked to the people at the store. Only happened to stumble across this website after truly wanting a tarantula. Thought I was set but after reading the care sheet given to me and talking to the people at the store was I told different from what I've been told previously, so it left me in question. Decided to search up more specific questions and it brought me here. Just needed more clarification/reassurance after being given wrong information from the "professionals." Came to realize that I've been doing everything perfectly just heavily in doubt and overthinking. Thanks again for your awesome forum!!

You wont find a consistent answer here as there literally is no "correct" answer. You can feed often, or sparingly and the t will still grow into an adult in time. Feeding schedules simply put, don't apply to tarantulas. As a generally rule, after a t molts, it will always be at its thinnest, and therefore be at its hungriest. As the t plumps, its food needs decrease and when fat, they need no food.

Now how you feed can affect things you deal with...like if you binge feed, the t will plump quickly and eventually stop eating. While this isn't harmful, it will lead directly to a long fasting period and possibly a long period of inactivity and reclusive behavior. On the other end, if you feed sparingly, it will take a long time to plump and start refusing food, and such a slow food input can extend the molt cycle and can slow growth considerably...but likewise, a slow grower isn't harmful.

See, every molt cycle, every t will need a specific amount of time before its physically ready to molt, and this length of time will increase dramatically as the t grows. Every cycle that same t will also have a certain nutritional need that needs to be met. To maximize growth, one simply needs to have its nutritional needs met by the time its physically ready to molt. Its very very easy to meet these nutritional needs before the physical needs are met, so most people actually feed more often than necessary, which is why long pre-molt fasts are pretty commonplace...again, not harmful.

Temps also play a role, as cycles decrease as temps rise, but considering temps are the same, the above will apply regardless.

So you can basically feed as often as you like, or take time off and go on vacation if you like and it won't matter to the long term health of the t.

There really is no advantage to moving it unless its set up poorly. Top opening or bottom opening are both fine and its really your choice. I prefer top opening and love the deli cups for raising avics as they are really easily ventilated and make for a great temporary enclosure (all sling enclosures are temporary).

You are all kinds of mixed up here. I see info from here on AB, mixed with terrible care sheet info.

There is NO humidity requirement...its not even something you need to think about. Ventilation is the most important thing, and its all about air movement. But people always make more of ventilation than they need to and over-ventilation has almost become the norm...which is fine, as too little is far more detrimental.

With good airflow, having damp sub will not be an issue, so you can likely just let it dry out, but if its soaking wet, then yes, I would change it out.

Spraying it is done for drinking opportunities, not for humidity control. You can lightly mist, and I mean lightly....on occasion if you like, just don't feel like you need to do it frequently.

There is no need to help the t eat, simply drop in an appropriately sized cricket and leave it to the sling to do the hunting.

You are certainly over-thinking things, no doubt, but its ok, it's better than reading one care sheet and thinking you have it all down forever. It's hard-to-find good advice on the internet, there is a lot of garbage out there, which is why places like AB are so important as you can get advice from actual keepers, many of us long time keepers and/or breeders, and with the good activity levels here, bad info is quickly corrected. In general, just ignore most of what you read from unknown sources and avoid care sheets like they are STDs.
Thank you so much for your reply! This is exactly the kind of response I wanted, detailed and answers my small dumb over thought out questions. Read one care sheet given to me by the store and it's "professionals" and questioned everything I knew before. Really appreciate your response and am lucky you answered me quickly and with a lot of specifics. Luckily I've been doing everything right just been heavily overthinking and doubting my own knowledge. Thank you again!!! :)

cold blood

Staff member
I've read plenty off of Google, watched videos though the years, talked to a friend who owns a tarantula and even talked to the people at the store. Only happened to stumble across this website after truly wanting a tarantula. Thought I was set but after reading the care sheet given to me and talking to the people at the store was I told different from what I've been told previously, so it left me in question. Decided to search up more specific questions and it brought me here. Just needed more clarification/reassurance after being given wrong information from the "professionals." Came to realize that I've been doing everything perfectly just heavily in doubt and overthinking. Thanks again for your awesome forum!!
You are spot on. The truth is that doing your research as a beginner is a difficult and often confusing task, as most of what you will read on the net, in books or in pet stores is actually pure garbage, but being new, it would be impossible for you to know that the info you had previously gotten was bad.

It really bothers me when people complain to new people about doing their research when they know darn well just how much bad info is out there. Fact of the matter is that you are here DOING RESEARCH (this is a place to do research, let's not forget that).

Glad you joined and were able to get the info you need. Never be afraid to ask questions, we all started at the same place, its called the beginning.

. Read one care sheet given to me by the store and it's "professionals"
keep in mind, there are really no pet store "professionals", just uneducated workers who are over-confident in their advice because they memorized a crappy care sheet.;)

Lyssa G

Arachnopeon
You are spot on. The truth is that doing your research as a beginner is a difficult and often confusing task, as most of what you will read on the net, in books or in pet stores is actually pure garbage, but being new, it would be impossible for you to know that the info you had previously gotten was bad.

It really bothers me when people complain to new people about doing their research when they know darn well just how much bad info is out there. Fact of the matter is that you are here DOING RESEARCH (this is a place to do research, let's not forget that).

Glad you joined and were able to get the info you need. Never be afraid to ask questions, we all started at the same place, its called the beginning.
Thank you, really gives me a lot of reassurance and makes me feel a lot better to hear this!!!!!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
1. How often should I be feeding it and how much? I've seen some forums/sites say a cricket everyday whereas others have said 2-3 days is fine
Feeding once every 3-5 days is plenty, I tend not to feed anything larger than the tarantula's abdomen if possible, if you feed larger meals then feed less often unless you like extended periods of not eating.

2. Enclosure setup? It of course came in just the standard plastic container but since it is an arboreal species should I change the container into a candy jar type so that I can open it from the bottom or even buy a proper container? If so should I be poking air holes into the sides as well as the top?
32oz deli cup set up like below. For ventilation I make a row of holes all around just above sub level, the same about an inch from the top, a few holes at mid-height, and about a dozen holes in the lid.

Aviculariinae sling setup.jpg

This is more than sufficient IME, the absolute minimum you want to go with is a row of holes above sub level and holes in the lid/top so that as warmer air exits the top of the enclosure it pulls in fresh air through the holes in the bottom preventing stagnant conditions.

cross vent.jpg

3. Enclosure conditions? With the humidity and such how do you guys keep it at the proper level? I've read that the containers soil should be kept on the dry side (I accidentally made it pretty damp before I read some forums on here) should I just wait till it dries or is it better to replace the soil? I also read that I shouldn't be spraying the container too often, if so how often should I be spraying water into the enclosure? Besides doing that how should I maintain the humidity?
I keep about 1/4 - 1/3 of the sub moist by overflowing the water dish and repeating when it dries out, I don't mist at all, that's what I find works best (haven't had any deaths keeping them this way in over 5 years).

I've had issues with them dropping dead or suffering fatal moult complications when keeping them over completely dry sub during the winter (specifically around Jan-Feb) when the ambient humidity here absolutely tanks (can get down into single figures due to a combination of dry winter air and heating) so I personally wouldn't recommend that.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Thank you so much for your reply! This is exactly the kind of response I wanted, detailed and answers my small dumb over thought out questions. Read one care sheet given to me by the store and it's "professionals" and questioned everything I knew before. Really appreciate your response and am lucky you answered me quickly and with a lot of specifics. Luckily I've been doing everything right just been heavily overthinking and doubting my own knowledge. Thank you again!!! :)
Care sheets KILL tarantulas esp Avics.
Humidity- not an issue, chase those values and you’ll kill your T like many first time Avic owners.

youtube- stupidtube- monkey see monkey do

Keep researching HERE