First time keeping a Whip tail spider

JanaCh

Arachnopeon
My first pet was a whipspider (Heterophrynus batesii), there was a bit of a learning curve but I found it fairly forgiving overall. I've heard Damon medius is fairly forgiving as well, though not so much if they're wild caught, which is most common. My overall cost was probably ~$150 including substrate, terrarium and spider, but you could very easily do it for much cheaper, since both my terrarium and species were fairly expensive.

For me the biggest challenge was definitely the speed and flightiness. Usually it's not a problem, but there was a time when I had to switch out the terrarium and thus temporarily house the spider, and moving it to where I was housing it temporarily was quite difficult. If I had thought through the process more in advance it probably would have been easier, but still worth keeping in mind compared to something like a guinea pig. There were a couple of other challenges that I'd be happy to talk about in a PM, but I don't know how well they'd apply to Damon.
I sent you a PM :shy:

woodie

Arachnosquire
I find Damon pretty easy to keep happy with cross ventilation and wet long fiber sphagnum moss as substrate. Keep them in these plastic pickle jars and move them up to big plastic jar containers around this size.
They aren't as flighty as arboreal tarantulas, With correct husbandry pretty hardy

theredsonja83

Arachnopeon
I would do ALOT of research on them know as much as you can about anything and everything from scientific name, what their natural habitat is like, and what kind of husbandry you’d have to have. I’m also a first time mother of two Metallica pinks and I researched and watched experts like “the_tarantula_collective” and “dark den” on youtube they give care and husbandry instructions. Then also explore this board, ask questions ( you’ll get tons of opinions) the ones who really know what they are talking about will be able sniff out the false info and really set you on a good path to being a great keeper. It was 8months of research and self educating before I got my first one. And my advice prepare yourself for how any arachnid moves, they attack prey fast and can move fast if startled or you may just get one that is atypical and doesn’t follow the rules and has ADHD for spiders( if this can actually be a thing). My first pink toe doesn’t follow the rules as a lot of people consider these ones more on the docile side, nope I got Oscar the grouch of pink toes! She says just give me my food and piss off! I know I’m giving you a lot but trust me you wanna be ready, yes it’s like having a pet rock at times but when they want to move , they will!!! And if your jumpy or startled easily or don’t like surprises then don’t feed from tongs and really get to know how your spider moves when it attacks prey. I’ve actually pissed mine off because I jumped when she tried to get the cricket from my tongs and I pulled back the cricket, when I gathered myself and gave it to her again she took the cricket but then turned around again before I could pull the rings out she lunged at them one more time to let me know she was pissed. I know people say they don’t have the nature to be trained or “warm” up to you or get used to you , and they are right! So don’t expect that, they may tolerate you but your never out of the clear of getting bit or hairs kicked at you. Anyways this is some of my learning experiences so I hope this helps you get your ducks in a row when preparing. It’s a lot for an animal that doesn’t really do much other then what it’s designed to do naturally, but they are so worth it!! When they do their thing it’s so peaceful to watch something that just is natural and doesn’t conform to the busy world around it. It’s my happy place to watch them even when they sit for hours or days, envious almost to be able to just sit and chill unbothered. Oh and before I end this “chapter” be prepared to want more!! Lol 😉 luck

JanaCh

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much! I am already writing my list "what to do if.." so i'll be prepared! I will later ask some questions here on the forum to complete my list! :) i promise i will do alot of reseach before I get him, i kinda hope he'll bite me if i do something wrong so i'll learn from my mistakes. :rofl: And how much does it hurt when he kicks hair at me or bite me? :D

theredsonja83

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much! I am already writing my list "what to do if.." so i'll be prepared! I will later ask some questions here on the forum to complete my list! :) i promise i will do alot of reseach before I get him, i kinda hope he'll bite me if i do something wrong so i'll learn from my mistakes. :rofl: And how much does it hurt when he kicks hair at me or bite me? :D
Actually if your asking re: tailless whipspiders they dont have uricating hairs to kick so that’s good. But T’s (new worlds) do, and I’ve never personally experienced it but it’s usually the first or second “warning” to leave it alone before it bites, and according to “the_tarantula_collective” youtube they can be irritating to the skin causing itching, burning, and can be damaging if they get into your eyes or nose. So will flick them off their abdomens, while other don’t even have to flick their’s can rub off too. Like I said this is all via research. And I recommend a new world tarantula as a first just because venom is usually milder as long as you aren’t allergic. But they still are fast and the arboreal’s do jump. Knowing all this while can sound intimidating made me respect them more, not fear them. Definitely check out the youtubers it’s better( for me at least) when I see them visually.

theredsonja83

Arachnopeon
Actually if your asking re: tailless whipspiders they dont have uricating hairs to kick so that’s good. But T’s (new worlds) do, and I’ve never personally experienced it but it’s usually the first or second “warning” to leave it alone before it bites, and according to “the_tarantula_collective” youtube they can be irritating to the skin causing itching, burning, and can be damaging if they get into your eyes or nose. So will flick them off their abdomens, while other don’t even have to flick their’s can rub off too. Like I said this is all via research. And I recommend a new world tarantula as a first just because venom is usually milder as long as you aren’t allergic. But they still are fast and the arboreal’s do jump. Knowing all this while can sound intimidating made me respect them more, not fear them. Definitely check out the youtubers it’s better( for me at least) when I see them visually.
and bites are all per research and actually this board has a “bite report forum” so check it out it’s mostly from peoples experiences with a bite from a particular spider or millepede and I found to be very helpful in my understanding

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Y'all, amblypygids have no venom, they cannot (or rather will not, unless you try to trick it in to thinking your finger is a prey item, which they seem to able to sense is not) bite nor pinch, and they do not possess urticating hairs. The worst that will happen in any event of dealing with an amblypygid is that it will get hurt/die and not you. Or, they will jump/run out of the container (again very unlikely to happen unless you provide it with a way out that does not involve touching your skin) and flee very quickly towards the darkest area they can find.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

woodie

Arachnosquire
My most recent Damon purchases are large males and actually both took swipes at me when rehousing, However doesn't hurt just startling

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
It all depends on what species you’re getting. If it’s a damon medius there is a chance that it will randomly drop dead since all of them are wild caught, although the paraphrynus or phrynus seem to be hardier. Out of the two however the vinegaroons aka whipscorpions are much easier and are built like tanks, just give them deep substrate, a water dish, and infrequent feedings

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
My most recent Damon purchases are large males and actually both took swipes at me when rehousing, However doesn't hurt just startling
This is good to know. My point remains that they are harmless however.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Many amblypygi would make excellent first pets. I was new to keeping when I got my Phrynus whitei, and I found it very soothing and easy to care for. If you set up their enclosure correctly they’ll pretty much just sit there out in the open, so you can always see them, and most of the common pet trade species aren’t overly fussy about their food or environmental conditions. They can’t hurt you no matter how badly you screw up (or at least no worse than you could do to yourself with a short pin), and they’re very clean animals.
Obviously many people here are all about tarantulas, but amblypygi have so much to offer.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Many amblypygi would make excellent first pets. I was new to keeping when I got my Phrynus whitei, and I found it very soothing and easy to care for. If you set up their enclosure correctly they’ll pretty much just sit there out in the open, so you can always see them, and most of the common pet trade species aren’t overly fussy about their food or environmental conditions. They can’t hurt you no matter how badly you screw up (or at least no worse than you could do to yourself with a short pin), and they’re very clean animals.
Obviously many people here are all about tarantulas, but amblypygi have so much to offer.
I agree, although I would definitely stay away from damon medius since they have a high die off since they’re all wc imports. If you do get some keep them extra moist and they should hopefully do well.