First time enclosure help for Emperor.

RockSW

Arachnopeon
Plan on getting an Emperor soon, but I wanted to have the enclosure set up before hand. Just had two questions. First is heating pads. I have two on the tank currently, one on top and the other on the bottom of the left side. Managed to keep the temperature on that side to around 80F according to the laser thermometer and the humidity pretty good. Im in northern Illinois and its already cold and will only get colder. Is this overkill? My apartment is pretty comfortable without the heat on for me. Not so much for a tropical species.

Second question was a drainage layer. I'm using loose coconut fiber substrate. I noticed after misting a bit that there was condensation at the bottom of the heated side. Will this be a problem in terms of mold growth?

I attached 2 pictures, one of the enclosure and the substrate used. Plan on getting a few more plants (fake if it matters) and an additional hide, the other 2 are buried. Thanks.

EDEC9679-6083-4872-96DF-0C2079DA0CC6.jpeg 4F438974-9574-4DB8-8FB9-6988DEB0D3B7_4_5005_c.jpeg

undeaddeaths

Arachnosquire
Heating pads aren't really ideal for scorps, let alone two
You'd be better off with a ceramic heat emitter or a space heater if really necessary
You can use clay balls and a substrate separator as a drainage layer, but your scorp might claw its way into it
Just don't have the sub soaking wet

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
I think your setup looks great. I haven't personally witnessed coco fiber molding, I don't think it supports it (dead food items will mold however) so I wouldn't be concerned with that condensation in the bottom corner, it will work its way out as the substrate dries.

RockSW

Arachnopeon
Heating pads aren't really ideal for scorps, let alone two
You'd be better off with a ceramic heat emitter or a space heater if really necessary
You can use clay balls and a substrate separator as a drainage layer, but your scorp might claw its way into it
Just don't have the sub soaking wet
So as long as the humidity is high enough and the temperature warm enough I shouldn't need a direct heat source? The shelf its sitting on is actually right next to my apartments heater. Have a separate space heater as well.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
It looks like a very good set-up. You have excellent substrate depth and temperature gradient hides.

I have that same condensation in my terrarium and it nothing to be concerned over.

I have two small cork bark hides sitting end to end so I can pull half of it away, which I have and underneath always remains cozily warm and humid.

As someone else posted, I have never had a single encounter with molds or fungi using coconut fiber outside of occassional feeder remains I spot clean (but I usually have that removed before it molds).

RockSW

Arachnopeon
It looks like a very good set-up. You have excellent substrate depth and temperature gradient hides.

I have that same condensation in my terrarium and it nothing to be concerned over.

I have two small cork bark hides sitting end to end so I can pull half of it away, which I have and underneath always remains cozily warm and humid.

As someone else posted, I have never had a single encounter with molds or fungi using coconut fiber outside of occassional feeder remains I spot clean (but I usually have that removed before it molds).
Yea I did a fair amount googling before I got everything. So many videos of people using an inch of shit like reptibark :/

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Make sure the substrate is moist. No need to chase humidity numbers.