First time coming across this spider. what is it.

DragonizedGlory

Arachnosquire
Hey guys. So I was out in the bush putting a common house snake back where it belonged when i saw a spider running across the road. I'll tell you this much. It dit NOT like it when I stopped it.
Instant threat pose. When I touched it with a twig it went ballistic trying to strike at it. It looked like it was trying to do cartwheels and back flips. I felt like catching it so I did, got home and put it in a glass container and studied it a bit.
I have absolutely no idea what it is. It looks so much like a tarantula except for its abdomen that looks a bit small. No utricating hairs and almost no hair at all.
The spider is from south africa. North West province to be exact. If you want I'll narrow down the location some more but please tell me what this is so I can do some research on it.
I don't think this is a baboon spider :/
20161027_203345.jpg 20161027_203405.jpg

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
That looks like a trapdoor-spider to me. It´s certainly not a tarantula. Also, in South Africa you won´t find any T´s with urticating hairs ;)

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Looks like Gorgyrella schreineri to me! Those palps make me think it could be a MM, especially since finding trapdoor spiders anywhere outside their burrows is incredibly rare most of the time. Someone else may be able to confirm, I don't know a ton about trapdoors.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Agreed, looks like a trapdoor and a MM at that. Be careful, many trapdoor spiders have a very nasty bite. I'd let it go sooner rather than later, let it do it's spider-y thing and find a female. Consider letting it go just before dark, if possible.

Estein

Arachnoknight
I agree--it looks like the trapdoor spiders I see in the southeast US. The family I'm thinking of is Ctenizidae, which is also found in South Africa. Hopefully that gives you a good starting point. Cool find!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Arachnosupporter
Be careful I think its been stated here before that SA law doesn't allow keeping of native species without a proper permit.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Somebody out looking for romance. Carpe Diem and head out in the evenings with your flashlight. Good chance on it being that time of year and others will be out.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
What Snark was trying to say was be careful where your step lol

I'd hate to accidentally step too close to one of those in the dark and get bit. Nice find but be wary of those fangs.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Let's just be clear that the op found one in South Africa...and that if it is Gorgyrella, it's only found in Africa...