First time buyer questions

DasGhost3002

Arachnopeon
I finally got the go ahead from the mrs.!
I can get my first T. I have been looking into it quite a bit, and I have some questions because alot of the information online is either conflicting or just seems wrong. What better place to clear it up than here?
I'm pretty sure I narrowed it down to somewhat of what I want, I just need a few recommendations/nudges in the right direction if you all would be so kind.
I have a 18x18x24 ecoterra. I am going to be building the terrarium (I build custom terrariums on the side for fun), the idea/setup i would like to do would fit really well with a T that either likes to be up high or on the ground. Preferably a on the ground type (terrestrial right?), and I would like a T that does alot of webbing with decent coloring while avoid a burrow or heavy burrow type. And first and foremost, because I am a first timer I would prefer something thats not going to try and eat my face just for looking in its general direction.
I have been looking pretty strongly at a Greenbottle Blue, or a Goliath bird eater. But the research I've done is GBE are very sensitive with humidity and such, so to avoid them as beginners. Which is leaning me towards the GBB, but I really want a T that does heavy webbing.

So from you professionals who have a world's more knowledge than me, is the GBB a good fit (and ANY info on them I should be aware of), or is there a better route?

Thank you so much in advance!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
GBB Open Thread

Lots of info

venomous Vixen

Arachnopeon
I have a female Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens I got her as a tiny sling and she is about 3in now. Definitely a cool species but she is boltey and fast! With an enclosure that big I’m assuming you want to get a larger size that would be too big for a sling. I don’t know if I would recommend them for beginners just because of how fast mine is. You’d have to be super careful when housing her when you get her. Definitely check out you tube on videos of rehousing and unpacking T’s to learn some techniques that are helpful, like using a big tote that you can place the entire enclosure in while housing her and catch cups and all that fun stuff. Hopefully your wife isn’t afraid of them or you have someone who is willing to be there with you during the housing because extra eyes and hands are always good. I’ve got around 30 T’s, just actually got to slings in yesterday morning and I still have my husband stand with me with catch cup in hand and helping me keep an eye on the T’s while I try to work with everything to get them moved. As long as you can get her in her enclosure safely and are careful when opening her enclosure during feeding I think it’ll be fine. Mine is a super Webber. Not as much as my OBT or my Chilobrachys fimbriatus but those species aren’t for beginners.

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You have an arboreal enclosure, this is not suitable for any terrestrial species. Besides, the only arboreal species that get large enough to justify such a huge enclosure are old worlds (which aren't recommended for beginners)

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
A GBB is what you want based on what you said. I kept mine in a deli cup when it was a sling. Now I have it in a small kritter keeper for a molt or two.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Seconding everything @The Grym Reaper said. That enclosure is positively huge and absolutely too tall for any terrestrial or fossorial species. Even large old world arboreals don't need that much space (12x12x18 is more than enough for even big pokies). IME a first time keeper should avoid over-complicating the enclosure. Perhaps consider a non-spider resident for such a large and fussy setup.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I finally got the go ahead from the mrs.!
I can get my first T. I have been looking into it quite a bit, and I have some questions because alot of the information online is either conflicting or just seems wrong. What better place to clear it up than here?
I'm pretty sure I narrowed it down to somewhat of what I want, I just need a few recommendations/nudges in the right direction if you all would be so kind.
I have a 18x18x24 ecoterra. I am going to be building the terrarium (I build custom terrariums on the side for fun), the idea/setup i would like to do would fit really well with a T that either likes to be up high or on the ground. Preferably a on the ground type (terrestrial right?), and I would like a T that does alot of webbing with decent coloring while avoid a burrow or heavy burrow type. And first and foremost, because I am a first timer I would prefer something thats not going to try and eat my face just for looking in its general direction.
I have been looking pretty strongly at a Greenbottle Blue, or a Goliath bird eater. But the research I've done is GBE are very sensitive with humidity and such, so to avoid them as beginners. Which is leaning me towards the GBB, but I really want a T that does heavy webbing.

So from you professionals who have a world's more knowledge than me, is the GBB a good fit (and ANY info on them I should be aware of), or is there a better route?

Thank you so much in advance!
Do you realize you are on very deep water now with the missus! You cant just buy ONE tarantula. As soon you get it, it wont be long until you want another. I dont wanna be you in front of your wife then!🙂

GabGab

Arachnoknight
I got a cute juvenile AB and its a good beginner species even though they don't web alot.. But as a first time owner you should start out with a docile one! They're are alot of other beginner species that you can start with as well! BUT If you end up getting the GBB goodluck! :))

DasGhost3002

Arachnopeon
Do you realize you are on very deep water now with the missus! You cant just buy ONE tarantula. As soon you get it, it wont be long until you want another. I dont wanna be you in front of your wife then!🙂

Already want a couple scorpions. Got a chance to snag a dictator and a desert hairy.

Seconding everything @The Grym Reaper said. That enclosure is positively huge and absolutely too tall for any terrestrial or fossorial species. Even large old world arboreals don't need that much space (12x12x18 is more than enough for even big pokies). IME a first time keeper should avoid over-complicating the enclosure. Perhaps consider a non-spider resident for such a large and fussy setup.
Well I build custom terrariums for fun, and for the enclosure i plan on using a good chunk of the space. So it won't be a wide open area. And definitely wouldn't be a fussy setup. By the time I'm done with it, it will be much more smaller. Trust I took into consideration enclosure size vs tarantula size. Just need help getting pushed into the right direction for a T in general. Since it seems from responses a GBB would be to small for the enclosure?
Also I'm throwing in fake plants in this one to avoid any issue with plant life/spider weight/anchor points.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
GBBs are very hardy, if one kills a GBB they need to own a rock instead for a pet.

But they are pretty fast, and certainly flick uritcating setae. I've raised a lot. Due to their speed- not a beginner, due to how hardy they are- beginner.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Well I build custom terrariums for fun, and for the enclosure i plan on using a good chunk of the space. So it won't be a wide open area. And definitely wouldn't be a fussy setup. By the time I'm done with it, it will be much more smaller. Trust I took into consideration enclosure size vs tarantula size. Just need help getting pushed into the right direction for a T in general. Since it seems from responses a GBB would be to small for the enclosure?
Also I'm throwing in fake plants in this one to avoid any issue with plant life/spider weight/anchor points.
Height is a fall risk which can lead to fatal injuries. An enclosure that size with enough "stuff" to make the habitable space appropriate for anything but an old world arboreal will mean feeders have many places to hide. It also leads directly to fewer predator-prey interactions, so slower growth unless you buy an adult. It also makes it orders of magnitude harder to locate and observe the spider. This enclosure is very much not suitable for any spider appropriate as a first purchase. Do yourself and the spider a favor and put something that will thrive in it. Go read the beginners threads here, watch Tom Moran's videos on beginner species husbandry, and rethink this whole project.