First time breeding (in the future)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
So I turned out to have a pair P. cf nigricolor and P. fortis and was wondering when the time comes (just planning ahead for now), should I attempt to breed them? There's a demand for these beautiful species, however, I have never bred any species before. I've heard from others that the Pamphobeteus genus is pretty hard to breed as well and was wondering if anyone has had any success in doing so (I've read through the breeding reports as well)?

Also, I just found out that my X. intermedia might be a female. If so, would it be wise to try to get a male for her, or to send her to someone with experience and have them send her back (along with a 50/50)?

As these spiders aren't really cheap and common, I'd like to play my part in trying to make more of these available to the hobby (without any 'accidents' on my part).

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
personally i feel like breeding these harder to come by species is a good thing for the hobby and since the males have an expiry date and are the ones in danger think its a risk worth taking, you could always breed your females then send the males out for breeding loans. you could also get an inexpensive easy to breed species to get your eye in. Thats what im doing with N. incei and had my first pairing today with my crazy male diving head first into the females burrow, worked out fine and is a real thrill for the hobbiest to start breeding.

cold blood

Staff member
Let me know if your nigricolor makes it or is available...My female could put him to use when you're done;)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Let me know if your nigricolor makes it or is available...My female could put him to use when you're done;)
Haha, will do! I'm going to feed him a bit less to see if the female will reach breeding size a bit faster. If that doesn't work I can send him to you for maybe a 50/50 loan?

cold blood

Staff member
Haha, will do! I'm going to feed him a bit less to see if the female will reach breeding size a bit faster. If that doesn't work I can send him to you for maybe a 50/50 loan?
For sure...how big is he currently?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
For sure...how big is he currently?
It'll be a little while, but right now he's around 4" give or take 1/4". Sorry, didn't mean to make it seem that he was already a good size for breeding.

cold blood

Staff member
It'll be a little while, but right now he's around 4" give or take 1/4". Sorry, didn't mean to make it seem that he was already a good size for breeding.
No, that's ok, I like having things like this linked up;)

Mine's not quite ready either, she's about 6", maybe just a tad under, and looking like she'll molt sooner than later. Timing should be great.

Last edited:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
No, that's ok, I like having things like this liked up;)

Mine's not quite ready either, she's about 6", maybe just a tad under, and looking like she'll molt sooner than later. Timing should be great.
I'll keep you updated on the molts if you would like! And depending on when he matures, I can drive him up to you as well. Need to get some work done in Wisconsin too anyways haha.

cold blood

Staff member
I'll keep you updated on the molts if you would like! And depending on when he matures, I can drive him up to you as well. Need to get some work done in Wisconsin too anyways haha.
Dang, that works out perfectly:) That never happens:bored:

Definitely keep me posted.