Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

First time being tagged

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Cherri, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Cherri

Cherri Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Been into ts for about 6 years and finally got tagged by an escaped p irminia (my favorite T species). I stupidly cupped my hands around it. I felt a little something like a bee sting and I put it back. Only my feelings were hurt. :dead: I should have had a catch cup, I know. I'm just glad it wasn't hurt. What was your first bite story?

2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

20 yrs...still waiting for the first close call. My tongs and catch cups dont anticipate me being tagged.

A fast escapee with no catch cup around...you did what you had to do...way to not react to the bite.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

I hope to never have one. At times, Ts do unpredictable things like zooming up the paint brush/tongs, but I really try to minimize the chances of a bite. I keep a catch cup at each end of my shelves so that no matter where I am, one of them is within reach.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

Am I the only one who doesn't know what a bee sting feels like? :bag:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnodemon Active Member

Count your blessings. Bees are not all that big a deal (unless you are allergic), now wasps and hornets, that’ll “wake ya up in the mornin’”.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

"Been into ts for about 6 years and finally got tagged......."

That reads like some sort of weird rite of passage. Like "phew finally got bit".

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince

Got bit 3 days in Gf clamped down hard on my nipple.. Damn near elbowed her in the face

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

I have a friend who claims to have never been stung by a bee....I just cant imagine how this would be possible...now you, too? I told him that wasnt possible...now you...maybe he wasnt lying.....hmmm.

I was stung 3 times this summer alone. How does one never get stung....I mean, ive had them fly into sunglasses and get caught, under sandals as im walking, on something im grabbing, fly down a shirt....random land and sting for no apparent reasin....get too close to a hive im not even aware of....thats a bunch of stings at once....man i could go for pages...lol

I wish i had your luck Lonnie:)

9. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Arachnohipster

USA
    I was stung IN THE FACE by a bee last month. It was on my face and I batted it away and then it stung me. Ugh. It hurt a bit, I was more bummed that the bee died for that though.
    Now yellow jackets? Don't get me started on those horrendous creatures!

• Love Love x 1
  10. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Horrendous creatures? Really? You treat humans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jim Cricket

Jim Cricket Arachnopeon

USA
    May have felt threatened by your tattoo. :troll:

• Funny Funny x 6
  12. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

I have never been stung in 32.5 years of life by any bee, wasp, or hornet.

13. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

Luck has nothing to do with it. You're an outdoorsman and I'm an indoorsman. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mack1855

mack1855 Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Oh,in all my years of running around the great outdoors,in the Western U.S.
    Yah,been stung several dozen times.And the ultimate,pain inducing insect,is the Western Yellowjacket.And took a shot to the back of my left ear earlier this summer.
    6 years or so, keeping T,s,never been tagged.As @cold blood has pointed out,catch cups,lots of room,and not being distracted,goes a long way.And now that I posted this,I'll get tagged in a couple days.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Goopyguy56

Goopyguy56 Arachnobaron

Yeah I mowed over a yellow jacket nest a few months ago. It felt like matches getting put out on my skin. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. My arm and leg were sore and itchy for a few days which was worse than the initial stings. Ime, those big black wasps are the worst in my neck of the woods anyways.

16. RezonantVoid

RezonantVoid Hollow Knight Arachnosupporter

I've been stung by some of the more painful ants and scorpions here as well as bees, paper wasps and a single hornet. Mostly in my energetic and careless rock/log flipping childhood days, but none are pleastant at all. Not planning on getting tagged by spooders any time soon

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnoangel Active Member

First time being tagged

Well, obviously you're it. Now you've got to tag someone else.

• Funny x 7
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Award x 1
  18. Urzeitmensch

Urzeitmensch Arachnosquire

Several years since I got stung now that I think of it. Last time I was taking off my shoes on a grassy riverbank. My wife asked me not to for fear I might step on a bee. I laughed it off, telling her I never stepped on a bee in my life. About 1 - 2 minutes later I stepped on a bee which promptly stung me between the toes. True story.

19. aarachnid

aarachnid Arachnosquire Active Member

Were you afraid of spiders before you started keeping? I am just now feeling confident around my tarantulas, I’m afraid being bitten at this point would mess me up. Maybe not 6 yrs down the road, though.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MainMann

MainMann Arachnosquire Active Member

Haven't been stung by a bee/wasp/hornet of any kind yet Alhamdulillah ;) though that does mean I don't know if I'm allergic or not. Is there any way to know if we are allergic without getting stung?As for Ts, I don't care if people think I'm too wary or something, better safe than sorry lol :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.