First Tarantulla rescue

CharlaineC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not sure if she is a g rosa as aomeone said or a rose haired. but I got her from another resue i know of that needed someone who takes inverts.

let me know what you all think she is. this is her current enclosure as well.

Last edited:

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
G rosea and a rose hair are the same thing, and that is indeed a rose hair.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is indeed a grammostola rosea (commonly called "Chilean Rose Hair"). It is a little hard to see the entire set up with those pictures. If you haven't done so already, I do recommend reading this: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292
It has a lot of great information for first-time g.rosea owners. Make sure she doesn't have a whole lot of room to climb on the glass. This species is terrestrial but sometimes thinks it's arboreal. A long fall for one of these could be deadly. Generally only leave a legspan's worth of room from "floor" to "ceiling". Don't mist her, either. They despise water. I watched mine do a frenzied riverdance when I accidentally overfilled her dish, she acted like she was standing on hot coals or something. Sometimes they go a while without eating...a LONG while. It's nothing to worry about, that's just the way they are sometimes. They don't always web heavily. Some lay down a good amount, some are like mine and you can barely see a thin layer on the ground. Again, nothing to worry about.
I'm a little worried about the mesh-looking material on the walls of the enclosure. Mesh is notorious for catching toes that go astray and can lead to the spider losing an appendage, so you may want to consider getting a glass enclosure in the future.
To be honest, she looks great! You've got the right substrate it looks like, and room for her to walk around (HAHA), somewhere for her to hide if she ever feels like it. Basically, these guys are "pet rocks" but they're the best darn rocks I've ever seen!
Congratulations and well done on your rescue! Welcome to AB!

CharlaineC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the enclouser is all screen and nice and big I added more substrate do to the small amout that was in it I also plan on adding something to stop the substraight form someing out. thier are some better photos of her as well.

Last edited:

CharlaineC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cool

Well I will admit that the people i got her from did not think that she was a rose. that is why i wanted to make sure. I have been on the bords for a little bit now and love the search feature. is why i have such small posts. I'm a scorp fan but statring my invert rescue I have fallin for the t's as well. The setup is screen as it is what she came in I am waiting on a new glass tank for her

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is a HUGE floor-to ceiling distance!!! I am glad to hear you're getting a new tank for her, because that tank looks like an accident waiting to happen. It's not your fault, though, since that's all you had. But I would definitely get her a smaller space as soon as you can! A lot of people keep their roseas in 5.5 gallon aquariums with a top, and they work just fine. Small isn't bad, unless she's obviously cramped.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i saw that cage and literally said "holy crap." yeah, really far floor-to-ceiling distance, and waaay overkill for your new pet rock. a 5-gallon tank works beautifully for roseas. i will say this though, i sure wish and dream that i had an enclosure that looked like that!! i am VERY jealous. what you could do (if you're interested) is to have a colony of arboreals in that cage. that way you wouldn't have to worry so much about falls and you could keep several T's in the same tank. it's an idea. but if i had that big and tall of an enclosure, communal P. metallicas here i come!!!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
well, pokies and p. murinus always make pretty impressive communal displays :}