First tarantula?

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was wondering what would be a cool "first timer" tarantula? The thought would be to get a pair and see if they could be bred. Thanks guys!

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
first Ts and you want to try to breed them....? id start with slings buy 2 sets of 5 from diff blood lines and raise them. just get fast growing ones and by the time they are ready to breed. you will know what to expect and be ready to give it a try.but its not something i would do on a whim 200+ slings is alot of work

or did you mean to make your first breeding attempt? as your already an experienced T keeper? if so i would go with Pterinochilus murinus from what ive seen so far in my attempt to breed them they are just like a newlywed couple. only leaving her bed ...err her web for food . you can house them togather for about 3 to 4 weeks with little fear of your male becomming lunch

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i don't recommend breeding T's as a first timer. it takes experience and a lot of reading on the subject to even start. however, if you want to keep a pair (and i'm assuming comunally) go with A.Avicularia. (Guyanan PinkToe) Sweet spiders and they can live well in a colony.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For first time I recommend a G Rosea. As for breeding, I would really take the advise giving and wait until you have more experience or have a friend that knows what he is doing. I have had my T's for about a month & a hlaf now and will only be breeding my G Rosea with the help of a friend who has been successful next year when she(T) is ready.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hold on peoples !!!

Whew !! When I posted this topic earlier today I think what I meant was:

To obtain a T specie that is good for getting acquainted properly with tarantulas. Then raise 2 or more individuals from youth to adult hood with the idea in mind that sometime after they become adults attempting to put a pair together and see if I could get them to reproduce. Of course, an education in the proper husbandry would occur en situ as the spiderlings grew into adults. Once I had accomplished bringing in new slings into the world and the life cycle for that specie had gone full circle, then trying a new specie or two. I have no problems taking years to learn anything.

Hope this clarifies !! Sorry for the confusion...
:eek:

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Matt,

I think you might be looking for Grammostola rosea, or perhaps even Grammostola aureostriata. Last June I bought two G. aureostriata slings hoping one would be male and one would be female, but they both turned out to be male. G. aureostriata get bigger than G. rosea, reaching around 8" in legspan. They're a heavy-bodied tarantula, so you could think of them as a gentle giant in a way. I've got two G. rosea as well: an adult female who was my first tarantula, and the smallest one I have is absolutely nuts but still cute (typical psycho Rose, but this one's 'personality' might change as it grows older). I've also heard Aphonopelma seemanni make good beginner tarantulas - I also have an A. seemanni, but as he was a wild-caught tarantula I can't guarantee that for sure as he's not used to being held, and can RUN very quickly if he gets nervous. Hope this helps!

-Sarah

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
go with A.Avicularia. (Guyanan PinkToe) Sweet spiders and they can live well in a colony.
They can live peacefully together only until they can't, whether it's three seconds or three years. It's risky, requires a lot of extra space and careful enclosure work and extra food, and generally isn't recommended to even try unless you've got experience and extra money lying around to waste on likely killing a tarantula this way.

I would not ever suggest this to a newbie.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mike, first off, what's your budget? Have you read up on tarantulas much? Don't opt for the G. rosea, why not bypass the lamest t in the hobby and get something alittle more exciting?

Aphonopelma seemanni (Costa Rican Zebra)
-Very easy to keep/very hardy!
-Looks brilliant if you get a black/blue color form not brown
-Fairly docile-mostly skittish/nervous
-Almost as cheap as G.rosea

Acanthoscurria geniculata (Giant White Knee)
-Best Display tarantula (always out in the open!)
-No a crazy webber/burrower
-Easy to find and cheap! (3" $30-35)
-Eats more than you can imagine!
-Easy to keep and hardy as heck!
-Looks amazing by the way!
-Grows really fast! Wow!

This species kick urticating hairs and is more defensive than aggressive. Just don't try to handle it and you should be fine. That's my 2 cents.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
New to t's and new to breeding? The two don't mix but I wish you luck anyway.

I reccommend that you read up on the subject very well. Know how to recognize signs of maturity in both male and female t's. Ask a lot of questions. Each species is different when it comes to breeding. You can have the ideal situation, a breeding pair in their prime, and still end up without a viable eggsac. There's a lot of factors to consider. Temp., time, lighting, and also the t's themselves.

Also consider what you will do with the spiderlings if the breeding is successful. Will you care for them all? Is there a demand for them? You'd be hardpressed trying to rid yourself of 500 1/2" G. roseas.

Good luck Mike! Let us all know what you decide on!

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Kudos on your willingness to educate yourself. Most people chose a Grammostola, Brachypelma or Avicularia as a first T, but the choice is yours. I would personally not start with a sling as adults are hardier. Besides, many dealers will include a freebie sling with your order. Also a particularly "fast" species may not be the best choice until you get used to capturing escapees.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@ Jonathon Rice : How can you call the G Rosea Lame or any T for that matter. :) Perhaps the normal one is bland, but not the Red Color Form. They are really awesome and easy to look after.
However I agree with you on the A seemanni. It is an awesome T and really looks stunning. Still trying to track one down where I live, as well as A Geniculata.

icenola

Arachnopeon
My first one was the colorful Mexican Redknee (Brachypelma smithi). Gorgeous with awesome coloring. Your friends may be skiddish about Tarrantulas like my family was...but they fell in love with how colorful "Taco" was and how big and friendly he became.

But...

The main thing I would suggest is to get a Terrestrial, because (IMHO) they tend to hang out in the open more so you can watch em. All you need is a hollow log, a water dish, and proper substrate. Mine would roam around....eat...and when he slept in his log...at least I could see still see him. Burrowers can disappear in a hole for the longest and you have no idea what's going on down there. (You might own what people refer to as a pet hole).{D

George

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im gonna also say Aphonopelma seemanni, nothing wrong with a rosehair but your first T dosnt have to be one by any means.

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey, I'm quite new to tarantulas too but I've been on this forum for a bit posting, asking questions, reading, and more. I will be getting my first 3 tarantulas Wednesday. I ordered 3 G. rosea slings for several reasons. They are slow, easy to take care of, and are cheap. I also ordered a G. rosea so I can show my parents that all T's aren't so bad ;). Goodluck with your choice!

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering what would be a cool "first timer" tarantula? The thought would be to get a pair and see if they could be bred. Thanks guys!
Hi!

IMO you should go with C.cyaneopubescens, A.geniculata, A.seemani.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Mike, first off, what's your budget? Have you read up on tarantulas much? Don't opt for the G. rosea, why not bypass the lamest t in the hobby and get something alittle more exciting?

This species kick urticating hairs and is more defensive than aggressive. Just don't try to handle it and you should be fine. That's my 2 cents.
i wouldnt call them the lamest species in the hobby. Just the most readily available if they banned importation of them then they would be like the B smithi .

And they are odd balls too. you never know what to expect of a g. rosea they may be defensive in the OBT sense or docile in the pet rock sense... never know. and they are quite pretty after a molt for a good while

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey, I'm quite new to tarantulas too but I've been on this forum for a bit posting, asking questions, reading, and more. I will be getting my first 3 tarantulas Wednesday. I ordered 3 G. rosea slings for several reasons. They are slow, easy to take care of, and are cheap. I also ordered a G. rosea so I can show my parents that all T's aren't so bad ;). Goodluck with your choice!
lol now watch you get one thats possessed by the ghost of an OBT with PMS