First Tarantula

Ninja12

Arachnopeon
Hi all, i got my first Tarantula, shes a Chilean Rose Tarantula called Frankie, shes very mild and easy to hold but she keeps rubbing her fangs with her front legs, what does this mean? she she cleaning or maybe hungry?

Also how often should i feed her? Ive read that some people say every few days, some say once a week some say every 2 weeks... what is correct??

Thanks

Here is a picture

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When it rubs it's fangs, it is cleaning.

You should feed it 2-3 crickets once a week.

Post some pics of it's enclosure.

And to verify sex, post some pics of it's underside where the abdomen meets the body, then someone can tell you if it's male or female.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Good information above. The next step is to read all the stickys on owning your first tarantula. Especialy the rosea ones. All the questions you have will be answered there.

felmor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nice T! I wish I can have a G.rosea too, hopefully a rcf :D

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You should feed it 2-3 crickets once a week.
attempt should be the key word. if you feed it 2-3 a week, it will probably take them all at first for a while (no idea how long, mine ate great for months and i thought it was the exception and then it went on a fast too :wall:) but eventually go on a fast.

don't be alarmed, this happens commonly...

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First, "Welcome to the hobby!"

And, "Welcome to these forums!"

Hi all, i got my first Tarantula, shes a Chilean Rose Tarantula ...
First, you need to read Stan's Rant at http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html. Be especially certain to read the four books that are mentioned. Note that you needn't go out and buy them. Your friendly, neighborhood, public library probably has one or two already on its shelves, and they can get the others for you through the Interlibrary Loan System. It's a lot of reading, but you can space them out over the next few (cold, dark) winter months.

Then, you need to read CARE AND HUSBANDRY OF THE CHILEAN ROSE TARANTULA at http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html.

Lastly, has anyone told you of the tarantula enthusiast's lament?

LIKE THOSE POTATO CHIPS, YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE!

You've been warned! {D

Vespula

Arachnodemon
She's a pretty little girl! I got my first rosea in July, and within a few weeks I had two! They're an addictive species!

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
get the book The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. Everyone here will agree. The best, comprehensive book that explains everything.......I still refer to it when I have questions.....go on amazon.com and order it...you wont be sorry

Last edited:

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
get the book The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. Everyone here will agree. The best, comprehensive book that explains everything.......I still refer to it when I have questions.....go on amazon.com and order it...you wont be sorry
Hehe yes totally agree however, not sure you know, Pikaia (post above) is the actual author Stan Shutlz. :)

TKG is a great reference and Stan honestly 2020+ for the 4th edition? I'll be like.. near 50 then! :D

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hehe yes totally agree however, not sure you know, Pikaia (post above) is the actual author Stan Shutlz. :)

TKG is a great reference and Stan honestly 2020+ for the 4th edition? I'll be like.. near 50 then! :D
And in 2020 I'll be 77 and well nigh unable to work a computer! That's okay. I'll just tap it out in Morse code with my cane against my wheelchair in the nursing home!

I was 15 when Dr. Willam J. Baerg wrote his little book The Tarantula that started this whole hobby.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And in 2020 I'll be 77 and well nigh unable to work a computer! That's okay. I'll just tap it out in Morse code with my cane against my wheelchair in the nursing home!

I was 15 when Dr. Willam J. Baerg wrote his little book The Tarantula that started this whole hobby.
Regardless, Morse code or not, it will be well received I'm sure :)

I was in a small LPS the other day and they had a 2nd edition TKG on the rack and the sales boy stated he's heard this is the Tarantula "bible" and offered to me. I acknowledged by stating I have that and the 3rd edition already and the author frequently posts on an internet forum I am part of. He was silent.

I'm still not sure if his silence was of amazement or of disbelief but I'm hedging my bets it was was disbelief since I overheard him while walking out talking to his fellow shopkeeper about "the guy who says he talks to the author of that book" :)

Oh little does he know how respected and admired you are for not only putting out the series and all the work you and your wife have done for the hobby over the years but also to frequent hobbyist resources like this and continue to spread the joy of these marvelous creatures!

Kudos to you and I'll be waiting on TKG 4th Edition!

Cheers,

BillyG

Arachnopeon
you'll get to there,and you'll get more and more other ts as well,just wait and see,my first T is a female rosea too,you can change their foods not just crickets,there's many choices,like dubia roaches(that's what we call it),turkistan roaches(my favorite!!),superworms,and last but not least...crickets!{D Good luck,pal!

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... Oh little does he know how respected and admired you are for not only putting out the series and all the work you and your wife have done for the hobby over the years but also to frequent hobbyist resources like this and continue to spread the joy of these marvelous creatures!

Kudos to you and I'll be waiting on TKG 4th Edition!

Cheers,
Ah, gee. Now you've got me blushing. :eek:

Although Marguerite and I are directly responsible for a lot of what you read in the Guides (e.g., the ICU, best ways to handle tarantulas, collecting techniques, lumping their care into five basic regimens), we need to give the tarantula keeping hobby and everyone who has ever had a pet tarantula some credit as well. Marguerite and I simply could not have done all that by ourselves in even two lifetimes.

While there is a lot of science in that book, the bulk of it is merely a recanting of the personal experiences of dozens, hundreds, even thousands of enthusiasts who've shared what they learned with the rest of us. Pat yourselves on the back friends. You deserve the credit even more than we!

I hope that half of you can enjoy these remarkable animals half as much as Marguerite and I have over the decades.

Enjoy your little 8-legged buddies!

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd hold off just a bit before getting the book. It's great, and has lot's of fantastic info, but I would make sure you like the T's first. Give it a month or two first, and then consider buying it.

Suzjohnson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd hold off just a bit before getting the book. It's great, and has lot's of fantastic info, but I would make sure you like the T's first. Give it a month or two first, and then consider buying it.
That's why borrowing the books from the library makes so much sense! Then, if you like having tons of reference material handy to poke around in, buy them. Just starting off with tarantulas? I can't think of a better time to read about them and, if you ask me, it will only enhance your enjoyment.

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's why borrowing the books from the library makes so much sense! Then, if you like having tons of reference material handy to poke around in, buy them. Just starting off with tarantulas? I can't think of a better time to read about them and, if you ask me, it will only enhance your enjoyment.
great point

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wonder if the RVing community knows about your T's. ;)
Sadly, we got rid of all of our tarantulas in preparation for moving into our motorhome full time.

(Uploaded with ImageShack.us)

And, we typically make an annual migration between Canada and the Gulf Coast that requires crossing international borders at least twice a year. The hypothesis is that one can take tarantulas across international borders, but the reality is that the US Fish & Wildlife Service agents all want to be featured on Top Cops and are positively rabid about anyone carrying anything except cats and dogs across the US border. Permits must be purchased, and there is a fee of something like US $35 per hour for the inspectors' time, plus 38 cents a mile for their travel time. And, they'll only do this by appointment which often must be made weeks in advance, especially for out-of-the-way border crossings. Anyway, it's a nightmare we chose to avoid entirely.

The up-side is that we get to enjoy relatively mild weather most of the year, we get to spend several months a year in tarantula country, and lastly, we get to meet lots of other enthusiasts as we travel.

And, to answer your question directly, a few of them do and just shrug their shoulders and go about their business. It's rather disappointing, actually. :(

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Bummer! I'd love to be a full-timer when I retire, but my wife won't go for it. Thankfully I've got the better part of four decades to try to convince her.:D
I'd probably stay in the States for the most part, don't really know anyone in Canada. I wonder how T's acclimate to the vibrations caused by constant movement.