First tarantula - worried about mites

martafajla

Arachnopeon
Hello,
I am a new user and would like some help if possible. I will be getting a Brachypelma smithi relatively soon and have done research about it, the only thing I am worried about are mites. I'm not sure as to whether I'm blowing this out of proportion but it appears to me that this is a quite frequent issue. So I would like someone to verify this for me. Also I do understand that mites are directly related to humidity. As far as I understand a B. smithii doesn't need much humudity at all so I was thinking of jus thaving a water dish for it. Is this correct? Thank you

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B. smithi are fine with substrate just off dry. Mites live in more moist environments but will happily survive in any uneaten food you have in the enclosure. Basic maintenance will reduce the threat of mites, which often come in on food items. With this species I don't think you'll have many instances, but mites aren't really an issue unless things get really out of hand.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What is the size of the T you are planning on getting? I ask because the care is different for spiderlings under 2", then it is for those over.

As far as mites, they are harmless unless they are on your T. The little white ones that people see aren't even always mites, but springtails instead and they are equally harmless. If you see that you have them, upping the ventilation and letting the enclosure dry out should get rid of them.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's gonna be a 2.4" T so definitely not a sling.
Then it is going to be fine on dry substrate with a water dish. You shouldn't have any worries in the mite department as long as you remove boluses.(food waste)

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, like curious has already said, you'll be perfectly fine keeping it dry, and just adding a water dish. Keep up on your maintence and don't leave scraps in the enclosure and you'll never have a problem.