First tarantula, water question

primal pomegranate

Arachnopeon
Hello,
I just bought my first tarantula early this month. It's a Choco Golden Knee about an inch or so from Jamies Tarantulas. I have the Juvenile set up from Jamies that comes with the small water dish. I'm just really confused about the water situation. I have been filling the dish every day but I'll come back an hour or so later and all of the water is out of the bowl o_O

Any thoughts on where the water is going? Also, should I be concerned about this or is there still adequate water/humidity since I'm filling it every day?

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Hello,
I just bought my first tarantula early this month. It's a Choco Golden Knee about an inch or so from Jamies Tarantulas. I have the Juvenile set up from Jamies that comes with the small water dish. I'm just really confused about the water situation. I have been filling the dish every day but I'll come back an hour or so later and all of the water is out of the bowl o_O

Any thoughts on where the water is going? Also, should I be concerned about this or is there still adequate water/humidity since I'm filling it every day?
Are you sure the dish isn't leaking ? I'd try a different water dish in case there is a leak , you shouldn't have to worry about the humidity with this T , but you don't want a leaking water dish as they like the substrate dry . Lovely first T . Mine is quite big now they are what I call a gentle gaint . You can use the small bowls you use for hamsters as a water dish .

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I've used those dishes before from Jamie's shop. They often do leak. Replace it with a bottle cap (make sure you've sanded off any sharp nubs first though).

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
This happens all the time with my slings. What happens is that either a strand of coco fiber or webbing is wicking all the water from the dish into the substrate. Take the dish out, rinse it off, get any webbing off of it, and make sure when you put it back that there's nothing hanging into it before you refill.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Also if you are using coco fiber that can act as a wik if some gets into the water dish. This happened to me it can drain the dish in a few hours.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I agree to test the dish (after washing it thoroughly) and see if it really leaks when sitting on the kitchen counter. Most of my 'leaking' dishes are nearly always the water being wicked out by some webbing, substrate or combo.
And if it is leaking for real... bottle caps are pretty easy to come by. :)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The wicking issue is very often the culprit, I haven't had a water dish leak on its own without noticing. The worst is when you clean the bottle cap off refill it, and then return to see the T webbing it up again

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I can also confirm the substrate wicking it out problem. My bottle cap dish has gone dry twice in two hours before i figured it out on my own today :banghead:. You never stop learning around here.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Those dishes are also very small and shallow. I agree with the wicking thing, as it's the most likely cause. But depending on how dry your air is, it doesn't take long for that amount of water to simply evaporate.

My pico reef aquarium needs water top-offs every two days. And I usually have to add about a cup of water each time. It's like "Dude! Where is all that water going??"

primal pomegranate

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the replies! I did switch out the small dish for a bottle cap last night and so far the water is still there. Whatever the issue was it seems to be resolved now. I will keep wicking in mind for the future. Thank you everyone!