First Tarantula Questions?

Jkingsley3923

Arachnopeon
Hello all!
my name's Jordan and since I can remember I have been absolutely terrified of spiders. At least until a couple months ago, I was persuaded to hold a tarantula by a local pet store owner. Instantly I fell in love and as weird as it is I have absolutely no fear of spiders anymore :cool:..my family is astonished. haha. I've kept reptiles and amphibians for years and now I am looking into getting my first tarantula! I'm looking into either a Brachypelma emilia or a Grammostola pulchripes. I've read various caresheets on both, but other than that, I'm starting at ground zero here. I have a 10 gallon tank for when it's full grown and tons of smaller caging for use while growing. I'm looking for a spider that looks good, generally pretty laid back and is pretty hardy. I've heard good things about both species, would they be good choices for my position? any personal experience and pictures would be awesome!
thank you!

-Jordan

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Greetings!
Since we've discussed this many times, I would encourage you do use the search feature here on the forum. You'll finds a TON of useful info.

After you've done that, feel free to post any further questions you may have and we'll be happy to help you along.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The gallery here is a great place to findpics of both species.

I suggest you get the Tarantula Keepers Guide, your local bookstore or petstore might have it, but if not, its only about 5cents on amazon.

Welcome to the hobby!

Jkingsley3923

Arachnopeon
thank you! I've been scoping out the rest of the site..there is some amazing information on them!

so far, I'm going with a Grammostola pulchripes

I just have to wait until the local pet store gets some slings in, I'm not sure how comfortable I feel shipping something as delicate as a baby tarantula..

-Jordan

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thank you! I've been scoping out the rest of the site..there is some amazing information on them!

so far, I'm going with a Grammostola pulchripes

I just have to wait until the local pet store gets some slings in, I'm not sure how comfortable I feel shipping something as delicate as a baby tarantula..

-Jordan
We ship T's around the country all the time...it's no problem.
Tarantulas are tough critters.

TigerLily87

Arachnopeon
My B.Emilia was my first T and got me hooked into the hobby, only downside is its a big hair flicker even as a sling lol...I know most NW species are but it flicks the most out of all the Ts I have. I would still recommend it though as its a beautiful T and always rennovating his/her house, also very mellow at being handled...only flicks hairs if I go into the tank to change water, fix something in the habitat etc. doesn't like his/her house being messed with lol!

Jkingsley3923

Arachnopeon
thanks for all the responses guys!
I've looked into a lot of breeders and there are a couple around who seem pretty good and have Grammostola pulchripes slings that are around 1/2" or so, would it be advisable to get one that little or to start with one of a more established size?
I originally looked into the Brachypelma smithi, beautiful spider. Although I think that will be my second spider, that or Grammostola pulcra, because if T's are anything like reptiles, I'm sure to have more than one ;) I just want to get some experience down with the pulchripes before I get ahead of myself and get more :)

-Jordan

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would get one at least 1". You should be okay with a smaller one, but I think you will have a hard time going wrong with a larger, well started sling.

TigerLily87

Arachnopeon
I just got a 1/4' A.Avic sling smallest I've ever got and they are so tiny and delicate looking! But T slings are tougher than they look and even though a 1' will be better for a beginner, I really think you'll be fine with a 1/2' if you've done all your research :)
Good luck keep us updated when you finally get your new sling!

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what to get....Hmmm???

Grammostola sp. Brachypelma Sp. Aphonopelma Sp. are a good first Tarantula. I think the most important thing is this....get a baby or sling in whatever Sp you like and watch it grow and you will learn what to do and what not to do along the way. First, ten years ago I was bitten by a brown recluse spider while I was asleep in my bed and it really messed me up....it was a male luck for me and I found said spider the next day and ever since I have been into spiders. First, I purchased a B.Smithi sling about 1/2" now, it's pretty much full size and I bought it two summers ago she, is a major hair kicker tho but very pretty to look at. Second, I bought a Rose Hair Tarantula(Grammostola sp)full grown and wild caught by Petco....she is a sweetheart and very docil. I might ad I don't handle my T's just my choice. Third, I bought Aphonopelma Sp. Chalcodes,new river, Flagstaff orange and I have more than one of each. Last but not least, A.avic sp. a tree spider from the amazon another good choice and fun to watch! Whatever you choose I'm sure you will have fun and good luck to you!:D forgot, I also have a B.Vagans Female another major hair kicker but really something to look at....black velvet with a red butt after a molt it will be hard to find a better looking T

Last edited:

TigerLily87

Arachnopeon
You have some great choices in Ts all of my faves! Really wanna get an Aphonopelma of some kind, there so beautiful!

Jkingsley3923

Arachnopeon
there really are SO many choices!! :D but who's complaining? haha I'll update as progress is made, the local pet store has some Grammostola pulchripes and pulcra slings on order and as soon as they come in, I get first dibs. I'm extremely excited!

-Jordan

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
yea man i would definetly look into the brachypelma family i have all of them except the curly hair and they r all amazing color, tempermant, and all of the above!

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
... I was persuaded to hold a tarantula ... Instantly I fell in love ...
Exactly my experience - and in my case, it was with a G. pulchripes, the T that seems to be getting the best press in this thread - with good reason - I too cast my vote for the pulchripes - what a beautiful spider!

Somebody recommended the B vagans, and somebody else expressed a "buyer-beware," and I agree wholeheartedly with both - my vagans is like a loose cannon with a very short fuse! Mean, in-my-face, beautiful, voracious, mean, fun-to-watch, always out in the open, mean, easy maintenance and ... oh yes, did I mention mean? ...

That's why I love him.

In short: GET BOTH! That way, when you're scorned by the vagans, you'll be consoled by the pulchripes!

p.s. What tarantula was it that you held in the pet shop? I'd be willing to bet it was a G rosea.