First Tarantula is Close to Passing. Any Funeral Ideas?

ekmonks

Arachnopeon
My first Tarantula, an unknowingly mature male Euathlus species red that I got back in February has been in death curl all week. I expect him to pass in the next few days. Ever since I discovered he was a MM male I've just been sadly expecting this day to come. All that said I want to know if anyone has funeral ideas? I'd like to have some friends over and give him a proper service and send off to the "pearly gates". I was suggested to do a "Viking funeral" which sounds honorable but I was also considering burial in my yard or a park. Any other ideas?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When my male Aphonopelma sp. recently passed away, I respectfully interred him in a Riker-mount "casket" so I could continue to enjoy him (or at least use him as a teaching tool when explaining sexual dimorphism, tibial hooks, and emboli to my students.)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
You can preserve him by putting his body in the freezer, and decide what to do with him later.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Most of my males go to the garbage.

I'm thinking of trying to give their corpses to other spider however

@Mojo288 that'd be a feeding.

Last edited:

Swede Baboon

Baboons are life
Im partial here but still have to go with Viking funeral. Send his lovely spirit to Valhalla so he may feast with the gods.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I used to put them in the garbage but would smell a little so now they go down the toilet. Bonus points if you play Rime of The Ancient Mariner by Iron Maiden

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I froze my first T loss (OBT MM) to buy time until I could decide what to do with him. I ended up thawing him and preserving him in an alcohol base. I didn't recognize it was an MM at the time but since he was preserved, I figured it out after the fact. I was still a newbie -- a year into hobby. Then I tossed him (I think, I may have just misplaced him) -- but I realized it was depressing seeing him in jar of preservative.

Freeze -- it'll buy you time until you decide what to do.
Some mount them, some put them in acrylic-type dome. Or burial. Lots of options.

Hyperion

Arachnopeon
My first Tarantula, an unknowingly mature male Euathlus species red that I got back in February has been in death curl all week. I expect him to pass in the next few days. Ever since I discovered he was a MM male I've just been sadly expecting this day to come. All that said I want to know if anyone has funeral ideas? I'd like to have some friends over and give him a proper service and send off to the "pearly gates". I was suggested to do a "Viking funeral" which sounds honorable but I was also considering burial in my yard or a park. Any other ideas?
I don't know how you would feel about it but if you go onto YouTube and go to the dark den Channel Petko does a segment about preserving a dead T as long as the thought of that doesn't get you emotionally it might be nice to have your buddy around even if he is technically no longer with us.

ekmonks

Arachnopeon
I don't know how you would feel about it but if you go onto YouTube and go to the dark den Channel Petko does a segment about preserving a dead T as long as the thought of that doesn't get you emotionally it might be nice to have your buddy around even if he is technically no longer with us.
I decided to do something memorable so me and some friends had a service and sent him off the viking way.