First tarantula; help decide on a species?

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Her abdomen is huge, right?! The breeder I bought her from gave me a free L. parahybana (only about 1cm if that) So at least I'll get to see somebody molt sometime soon! I didn't plan on getting a free second T so I've been frantically reading posts and watching videos all day about them! Apparently they have pretty bad urticating hairs which makes me very nervous since that was something I was trying to avoid. Any advice for a sling that size and that species would be welcome! :)
Just keep it exactly the same as your g pulchra. Their temperament is very different; much more skittish and bolty.

The hairs once it gets a bit bigger are quite bad, but if you just wear at least gloves when rehousing you'll survive.

This is why I'm kind of against freebies. There's definitely a time and a place for them but now you have a spider you weren't prepared for.

Edit: At least you'll get to enjoy your LP during the many, many months your G pulchra will inevitably be sealed up for

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
The breeder I bought her from gave me a free L. parahybana (only about 1cm if that) So at least I'll get to see somebody molt sometime soon! I didn't plan on getting a free second T so I've been frantically reading posts and watching videos all day about them! Apparently they have pretty bad urticating hairs which makes me very nervous since that was something I was trying to avoid. Any advice for a sling that size and that species would be welcome! :)
Congrats! My little (but quickly growing) LP is definitely one of my favourites! Mine doesn’t seem to flick at me, and I’ve had it from a 3-4 cm sling (certainly still had that translucent look). It’s just moulted into its grown up suit - but is still only about 7 cm DLS - gotta love that sharp black with salmon pink trim! :rofl:

Here’s a gratuitus feeding pic I took just now! :D

F57B0251-5447-425A-9C1A-080F5FCF8B68.jpeg

Dorifto

He who moists xD
This is why I'm kind of against freebies. There's definitely a time and a place for them but now you have a spider you weren't prepared for.
I received a C sanderi as a freebie along with my pulchra... Nice first contact with that crazy bolty thing 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Be carefull with the pulchra's hairs too! They are not far behind.

Last edited:

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
My precious lumpo has also decided to grace me with his presence. I thought she was a girl so I've been calling her coco chanel... But now i look at a recent molt i think they are actually jean paul gaultier 😅 4" DlS

Attachments

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
My precious lumpo has also decided to grace me with his presence. I thought she was a girl so I've been calling her coco chanel... But now i look at a recent molt i think they are actually jean paul gaultier 😅 4" DlS
He is looking good Neonblizzard such a handsome dude 😊

8 legged

Arachnoprince
After keeping jumping spiders and mantids for a while, I've decided to get my first tarantula.
I'm on the fence between four different species
- B. hamorii
- G. pulchra
- G. rosea
- T. albopilosus
I want to know which one you guys would recommend the most out of these species. (I plan on getting a sling. I know the G. pulchra's are slow growers but that doesn't bother me.)
I've done a lot of research and I know that any spider can be fast or kick hairs, but in your experience, which species am I most likely to get a calm/chill spider with?
I don't plan on holding my spider because I don't want to stress him or her out, but I am an ex-arachnophobe so I would prefer something slow so that it doesn't bolt when I'm unboxing the sling/rehousing. I've read that some T's are known to move about the dirt in their enclosure and be seen most of the time, are any of these sp. known for doing that?
Lastly, I have been known to have allergies/easily irritated skin, so a T that is least likely to kick hairs would be best. (I will be wearing gloves when cleaning the enclosure etc.
If a species I haven't mentioned seems to fit this list more, I'm happy to take suggestions, too!
Thanks in advance for your replies :)
Your selection is rock solid! Take the one you like best, although you have to keep in mind that G. pulchra grows more slowly than a stone.

Edit: Just saw this is old s**t🤣

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One thing for sure, your L. parahybana will outgrow your G. pulchra in a matter of months. Here's one good thing about your situation : Your pulchra will inevitably go through a fast at some point, so your parahybana will gladly take extras as it grows larger and larger. You'll have a beautiful 6-7" black T and a significantly larger 8+" not-so-dark T. Enjoy the ride ! These won't be your lasts ;)

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Honestly,
An lp is a great contrasting spider to your pulchra. The only problem is you wanted something docile and didn't want anything with bad hair. They can be very skittish and extremely flicky but they're awesome spiders and if you take precautions it might just outshine that boring pulchra. Lol
Congrats on both and have fun.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Honestly,
An lp is a great contrasting spider to your pulchra. The only problem is you wanted something docile and didn't want anything with bad hair. They can be very skittish and extremely flicky but they're awesome spiders and if you take precautions it might just outshine that boring pulchra. Lol
Congrats on both and have fun.
I got my G pulchra sling as my first and love them, but honestly he hasn't surfaced for six months! I'd have died of pure boredom by now if i didn't have any others

nadiaosnaznara

Arachnopeon
I would recommend on having G.Pulcha as your first tarantula.
Not only it is calm and docile it is also known for being the most(for me) beutiful grammostola sp.

Pulcha is the most suitable for begginers but kinda pricey

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivike22

Arachnosquire
I had pulchra as my first and honestly it’s boring, I’ve seen it eating once,and as soon as I got closer to the enclosure it fleed. Now she’s burrowed for 7 months,haven’t eaten ever since. Plus haven’t molted in 9 months(last november). So it will be docile and easy,but not too satisfying. I love her but I have purchased 3 more T’s cos I had enough time waiting and worrying haha They’re so much different.Active always out etc. Gbb is amazing but a bit faster or acanthoscurria geniculata is also easy and out. But careful as they can get fat easy.
Or you just simply get a juvie or adult pulchra.
This is my g. pluchra and a. geniculata though 😍

Attachments