First Tarantula Concerns

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone!
So I want to get into this hobby and the tarantula that I have my eye on is the B. Vagans. I have a couple concerns about getting a tarantula though. (By the way, I have done research, but I want to confirm it because I know people on this forum are very experienced and knowledgeable.)

My first worry is the temperature. The thermostat reads that right now the house is 72 fahrenheit, but A) winter is coming and B) the room I'm planning on keeping my tarantula in has a large window in it, so it's usually colder than 72 fahrenheit, and with winter coming, it could be in the mid to low 60s. I know that there a several options to heat the room up for the T, such as a space heater, but the thing about that is that I live with my parents and wouldn't a space heater raise the utility bill?

Anyways, thanks for reading through this post and I apologize if this was stupid or had an obvious answer.

EDIT: Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'm going to get a small space heater just so it's easier for me to monitor the temperature :happy:

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Since B. vagans is such an inexpensive tarantula, I'd suggest getting a juvie or adult. That way it's much more durable. Good first choice, by the way!

Don't worry about temperature ever again with this (and most) species. If you're comfortable, then so are they. A space heater will raise the electric bill, but not as much as you'd think. But again, this is a durable tarantula. It won't bat an eye at low 60's.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't have a clue about the bill in the U.S (if you are in the U.S, I mean, because I can't find 'neverland' on the world atlas. Do you live in Jacko former domain?) but definitely here in Italy a space heather will skyrock your electric bill.

As EulersK said, buy an adult (I suggest a female... why a short lifespan, less bigger male?) they are more hardy.

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
Since B. vagans is such an inexpensive tarantula, I'd suggest getting a juvie or adult. That way it's much more durable. Good first choice, by the way!

Don't worry about temperature ever again with this (and most) species. If you're comfortable, then so are they. A space heater will raise the electric bill, but not as much as you'd think. But again, this is a durable tarantula. It won't bat an eye at low 60's.
Awesome! Thanks so much for the speedy response! This really is a great forum!

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Room temperature is fine but during the winter if it gets as cold as you say you're gonna need a space heater of some sort. Never use heat pads though.

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
I don't have a clue about the bill in the U.S (if you are in the U.S, I mean, because I can't find 'neverland' on the world atlas. Do you live in Jacko former domain?) but definitely here in Italy a space heather will skyrock your electric bill.

As EulersK said, buy an adult (I suggest a female... why a short lifespan, less bigger male?) they are more hardy.
Haha, I put "neverland" as a joke on the location part :cat: and the only thing that would be a problem with getting a female would be that when I go off to college, I don't know what I would do with it, but now that I think about it, I would have the same problem with a male as well...

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
Room temperature is fine but during the winter if it gets as cold as you say you're gonna need a space heater of some sort. Never use heat pads though.
Okay thanks, I've heard some bad stuff about heat pads before and I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
60F is not that low of a temperature, juvenile and adult Brachypelmas should not have tiniest problem with it.

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
60F is not that low of a temperature, juvenile and adult Brachypelmas should not have tiniest problem with it.
Cool. I was worried because I heard that some T's can be pretty sensitive with temperature, and I want to make sure it can live a happy and healthy life :happy:

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Okay thanks, I've heard some bad stuff about heat pads before and I'll definitely keep that in mind.
Yeah i've got first hand experience with how bad they can be lol. Had an H. lividum years back and heard nothing but how humid and tropical they like it. So being completely inexperienced with tropical species i figured very damp substrate and a freaking heat pad would be perfect (also lived in a very cold house). The poor spider was eaten alive by mites about 2 weeks later. Never again!

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
Yeah i've got first hand experience with how bad they can be lol. Had an H. lividum years back and heard nothing but how humid and tropical they like it. So being completely inexperienced with tropical species i figured very damp substrate and a freaking heat pad would be perfect (also lived in a very cold house). The poor spider was eaten alive by mites about 2 weeks later. Never again!
That's crazy! I didn't think anything that bad could happen with a heat pad! I'll make sure I stay away from them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it could be in the mid to low 60s
Vagans is good species, nice choice!

This temp is too low for any relevant length of time. Their metabolism will likely slow down.

Here are some comments from Rick West, in case you don't know, he's one of the worlds foremost experts on tarantulas, link below

"Regional temperatures aren’t that dramatically different between seasons in Mexico.Day temperatures average 75 – 85 F in the drier winter season and 80 – 90 F in the wetter summer season and night temperatures range from 50s – 70s F, depending upon elevation and the type of vegetation zone."

http://www.tarantulasdemexico.com/en/brachyrickwest_en.htm

wouldn't a space heater raise the utility bill
Only if it's plugged into the outlet, RIGHT.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
Vagans is good species, nice choice!

This temp is too low for any relevant length of time. Their metabolism will likely slow down.

Here are some comments from Rick West, in case you don't know, he's one of the worlds foremost experts on tarantulas, link below

"Regional temperatures aren’t that dramatically different between seasons in Mexico.Day temperatures average 75 – 85 F in the drier winter season and 80 – 90 F in the wetter summer season and night temperatures range from 50s – 70s F, depending upon elevation and the type of vegetation zone."

http://www.tarantulasdemexico.com/en/brachyrickwest_en.htm

Only if it's plugged into the outlet, RIGHT.... :rolleyes:
What do you mean with the last part? I should only plug it in when I need to, or should I just keep it on? Thanks for the link by the way.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What do you mean with the last part? I should only plug it in when I need to, or should I just keep it on? Thanks for the link by the way.
I meant if you plug it in, it's of course going to increase your utility bill because you will be using power. I though that part of using electricity was obvious ;):D:wacky:

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
I meant if you plug it in, it's of course going to increase your utility bill because you will be using power. I though that part of using electricity was obvious ;):D:wacky:
Oh okay, yeah I knew that. I think I just read that part wrong then.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
B. vagans is a great choice! My girl Kira was my second T I owned, not quite pet rocks like most Grammos, and they grow at an okay speed too, or at least mine did, lol. They can be a bit sassy sometimes though

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
B. vagans is a great choice! My girl Kira was my second T I owned, not quite pet rocks like most Grammos, and they grow at an okay speed too, or at least mine did, lol. They can be a bit sassy sometimes though
Thanks! I was debating wether to go for the B. Vagans or the LP, but I decided on Vagans because I'd like to have experience before dealing with a tarantula of that large of a size haha

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Thanks! I was debating wether to go for the B. Vagans or the LP, but I decided on Vagans because I'd like to have experience before dealing with a tarantula of that large of a size haha
:D I was actually going to get a B. vagans and LP at the same time, I ordered them both, but the breeder must have mixed up the vials, so I ended up with a B. vagans and a B. albopilosum, but no regrets, got my LP a few weeks ago and WOW she is nasty, though I heard that they mellow out once they're bigger

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
After re-reading all the replies to this thread, I've noticed that there isn't a unanimous "use a space heater" or "don't use a space heater"
Myself, I don't really want to use once just because of the cost. I just don't know 100% what do about about that.

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
:D I was actually going to get a B. vagans and LP at the same time, I ordered them both, but the breeder must have mixed up the vials, so I ended up with a B. vagans and a B. albopilosum, but no regrets, got my LP a few weeks ago and WOW she is nasty, though I heard that they mellow out once they're bigger
Haha, that's pretty funny. Do you like the albopilosum though?