First Tarantula Concerns

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
After re-reading all the replies to this thread, I've noticed that there isn't a unanimous "use a space heater" or "don't use a space heater"
Myself, I don't really want to use once just because of the cost. I just don't know 100% what do about about that.
I use a space heater in my bedroom (AKA the tarantula room, AKA the rat room, AKA the gecko room, AKA the animal room with a mattress on the floor in the corner where I sleep) And keep it 75-80 degrees. I personally am very anemic so even 80 degrees is chilly for me, usually I have to force myself to keep it 80 and not go full blast. It's a very small black heater that I don't think uses a lot of power or else my mom would yell at me for keeping it on 24/7

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
I use a space heater in my bedroom (AKA the tarantula room, AKA the rat room, AKA the gecko room, AKA the animal room with a mattress on the floor in the corner where I sleep) And keep it 75-80 degrees. I personally am very anemic so even 80 degrees is chilly for me, usually I have to force myself to keep it 80 and not go full blast. It's a very small black heater that I don't think uses a lot of power or else my mom would yell at me for keeping it on 24/7
Interesting. Do you know what kind of heater it is?
Edit: Or do you know where you bought it?

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Haha, that's pretty funny. Do you like the albopilosum though?
YES. I have two B. albos, Kirby was my first T ever, got her as a tiny half inch sling, she's so calm and is the number one choice I pick for showing to people who are scared of spiders. She grows pretty slow though, after a year and a half of owning her she's only about 2 inches. Aragog on the other hand, who I bought as an LP, grew from 2 inches to 4 in about 4 months, and is very sassy and moody. It's definitely a species with a lot of variety between individuals.

- TO the space heater thing, it's a Pelonis https://www.amazon.com/Pelonis-NT15...id=1477955638&sr=8-10&keywords=pelonis+heater

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
YES. I have two B. albos, Kirby was my first T ever, got her as a tiny half inch sling, she's so calm and is the number one choice I pick for showing to people who are scared of spiders. She grows pretty slow though, after a year and a half of owning her she's only about 2 inches. Aragog on the other hand, who I bought as an LP, grew from 2 inches to 4 in about 4 months, and is very sassy and moody. It's definitely a species with a lot of variety between individuals.

- TO the space heater thing, it's a Pelonis https://www.amazon.com/Pelonis-NT15...id=1477955638&sr=8-10&keywords=pelonis+heater
Love the names of the spiders!

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Love the names of the spiders!
They all have names usually of whatever comes to mind, lol, Kira, Kirby, Aragog, Mazu, etc. Only Nexie and Jacko have any thought put into them, Nexie is an H. gigas, which are the only species of tarantula that can swim underwater (or one of the only) And a 'nexie' is a water spirit. Jacko is a Hapalopus sp. Pumpkin Patch, so "Jacko" is like Jack-O-Lantern :D

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
They all have names usually of whatever comes to mind, lol, Kira, Kirby, Aragog, Mazu, etc. Only Nexie and Jacko have any thought put into them, Nexie is an H. gigas, which are the only species of tarantula that can swim underwater (or one of the only) And a 'nexie' is a water spirit. Jacko is a Hapalopus sp. Pumpkin Patch, so "Jacko" is like Jack-O-Lantern :D
I'm terrible at naming anything haha

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
After re-reading all the replies to this thread, I've noticed that there isn't a unanimous "use a space heater" or "don't use a space heater"
Myself, I don't really want to use once just because of the cost. I just don't know 100% what do about about that.
I think that's because of two reasons. Firstly, very few of us only have Brachys - which are known for being durable. Tropical tarantulas wouldn't necessarily survive in the temperatures you're talking about. Secondly, they won't thrive in those temperatures, only survive.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
OP,just use a small lamp,like this one .Keep your T on a shelf,about a foot away from the lamp.
A 40 watt ceramic bulb,you can get them at any pet store.get a mercury thermomteor from any hardware
store.place next to the T,s enclosure,and monitor it for a few days to see where the temps go during
the day and night.
And as everyone has stated,it will be fine.T,s die from high temps,not cool temps.Ok don't put him or her in
the freezer.How the heck do you spell Thewrmometor.Thermootor.that temp thingy!!!!

Attachments

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
OP,just use a small lamp,like this one .Keep your T on a shelf,about a foot away from the lamp.
A 40 watt ceramic bulb,you can get them at any pet store.get a mercury thermomteor from any hardware
store.place next to the T,s enclosure,and monitor it for a few days to see where the temps go during
the day and night.
And as everyone has stated,it will be fine.T,s die from high temps,not cool temps.Ok don't put him or her in
the freezer.How the heck do you spell Thewrmometor.Thermootor.that temp thingy!!!!
I think I'm just going to invest in a space heater, thanks so much for the suggestion though!
Can anyone recommend some space heaters that I should use? (I want to have multiple options so I can choose which one's right for me)

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B. vagans is a great choice! My girl Kira was my second T I owned, not quite pet rocks like most Grammos, and they grow at an okay speed too, or at least mine did, lol. They can be a bit sassy sometimes though
I've heard it said in the past that Grammostola are pet rocks but i just don't get it i have 5 different species and between them they are my busiest genus by a mile, My Brachypelma on the other hand are true pet rocks and i have 9 different species to document movement and I'm still on the 1st page

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I've heard it said in the past that Grammostola are pet rocks but i just don't get it i have 5 different species and between them they are my busiest genus by a mile, My Brachypelma on the other hand are true pet rocks and i have 9 different species to document movement and I'm still on the 1st page
Oh really? I guess individuals vary lol, I only have three brachys, and one of them is pretty lazy :)

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh really? I guess individuals vary lol, I only have three brachys, and one of them is pretty lazy :)
G pulchra are world famous for being bulldozers. G anthracina are the exact same and as for G iheringi,actaeon and pulchripes are constantly hungry so they are always looking for food. As for Grammostola pet rocks it's generally rosea/porteri that are known for that

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
G pulchra are world famous for being bulldozers. G anthracina are the exact same and as for G iheringi,actaeon and pulchripes are constantly hungry so they are always looking for food. As for Grammostola pet rocks it's generally rosea/porteri that are known for that
G. iheringi are so gorgeous, I need one :dead: And I guess I shouldn't stereotype them because of G. rosea then, haha

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. iheringi are so gorgeous, I need one :dead: And I guess I shouldn't stereotype them because of G. rosea then, haha
G iheringi and actaeon look identical when they are younger but actaeon loses the cherry red abdomen as it gets older. Check out G anthracina they are simply stunning they look like pulchra same stocky build but their underside are covered by red setae

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Thanks! It looks good, except it doesn't have a thermostat that tells you the exact temperature. Should I still get it?
The settings on the right side will heat the area to a specific temperature, but yeah, it doesn't tell you the specific. I would still get it because it's cheap and lasts for years, though, lol