First T.

Pec85

Arachnopeon
Hey guys I JUST bought my first Rose Hair and I'm wondering some things, I placed a couple real leaves in its tank with some wood hidey holes and cut out half an end of a toilet paper roll it hasn't found or gone in them yet for now it's a small but not too small tank will it eventually find them? And when I put a cricket in will it know it's there? If it's not in plain sight or on the other side of the tank and it's hiding under a leaf? I know they're pretty much blind but it has its ways obviously. Its 7 months old so it's very small I know these guys are slow growers and is there a way to find out it's gender? I'm hoping it's a female for a long lifeexpectancy. I hear potting soil is a good substrate so that is what I'm using.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
you have just described a pretty poor cage, post a pic of the cage for more accurate advice. also, its topsoil you want. most potting soil has additives that will kill your spider, remove it asap. put some in a container and leave a couple crickets in it for day or 2, if the crickets live, the soils safe.

Pec85

Arachnopeon
1477601940281236657593.jpg I took it out post haste I've had it a few days it was always on top of the cage it actually seemed like it was avoiding the soil

Pec85

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the quick reply boy I feel dumb the pet store said potting soil

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Removed and in the container it came in
All you need is a hide (plastic works if you can cut a cup or something, won't mold), a waterdish (they won't drown, so if you can fit a dish then you should) and that is about it. When feeding, just drop a cricket in there. It will find it eventually. If it isn't hasn't eaten it in about a day, then take it out. Never know when those small T's will molt ;)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
kritter keepers a great choice for tarantulas. do that cricket test i mentioned earlier to be sure its okay, or buy eco earth from a pet store.
when you put the spider back in, fill the cage up with substrate so theres not a gap bigger than 1.5x the tarantulas leg span. this will prevent falling injuries. be very careful that the wood you use is not cedar, that will kill the spider. when rehoused, they will usually avoid the ground and look for escape routes btw.
edit: if its 7 months old it should be in a vial or small deli cup. it can escape from KKs at under 1.5".

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Its 7 months old so it's very small I know these guys are slow growers and is there a way to find out it's gender? I'm hoping it's a female for a long lifeexpectancy.
No way to easily tell at this point unless you have at least a low power microscope... but really, you've got a G. rosea/porteri. Even if it's male, expect at least 5 years out of it. If it's female, you may want to write her into your will.

Pec85

Arachnopeon
Ok I rushed out got a coconut shell hidey hole some good substrate a water fish a sponge in the middle thank you for saving my spider. I'm ordering a new tank next month so shortly.

Pec85

Arachnopeon
Ah ok, I just hope it gets big and I have ample time to handle it at full size. I guess it reaches full maturity in 5 years.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok I rushed out got a coconut shell hidey hole some good substrate a water fish a sponge in the middle thank you for saving my spider. I'm ordering a new tank next month so shortly.
What's the sponge for? Tarantulas don't drown. No need for a sponge, rocks, gravel, etc.
Also, they love substrate, so don't be stingy with it. When they're small, they like to burrow a lot. Bury that coconut shell and fill it with substrate. poke your finger and make a starter burrow.

While we're at it, just FYI no heat pads. They will dessicate tarantulas.

Also, second guess EVERYTHING the pet store employee told you. EVERYTHING!!! :shifty:

Last edited:

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ah ok, I just hope it gets big and I have ample time to handle it at full size. I guess it reaches full maturity in 5 years.
Careful handling any T. I wont tell you not to, but the tarantulas do not enjoy it. They get absolutely nothing out of it and will never bond with you.

This species of tarantula is also notorious for mood swings.

Boy I'm really being a Debby Downer with this thread... :embarrassed:

You're going to love your new tarantula, they are very fun to watch but probably won't entertain like a lizard or fish might. Get ready to learn some patience and also clear some room and save up some more money for you next tarantulas!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask and search these boards. Good luck!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It's a good thing you found this site. Continued dwelling in the enclosure the way it was set up originally would have been death for the spider.

Most important lesson: never trust a pet store employee of any level on the care of invertebrates(or anything else for that matter but thats another issue). Trust the knowledgeable people here.

Pec85

Arachnopeon
Ah ok I thought I did my research man I should have came here first thank you very much!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
to handle it at full size
Is a great way to end up with a dead tarantula or have an injury.

If you want to handle a pet, get a hamster or snake etc.

They don't like to be held, they are solitary animals. They derive no value from being held, they don't even appear to like the touch of human flesh because it's soft.

It will likely take more than 5 years before full size IF female.

You haven't done nearly enough research, so thank god you found this site before you accidentally killed your T.

Read here about Ts, lots of USEFUL info, most of it will answer a lot of your questions.

Some of it will even educate you on things you haven't considered. I found it very helpful many years ago,and at times still do.

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/spiders.html

Last edited:

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You haven't done nearly enough research, so thank god you found this site before you accidentally killed your T.
It looks like he did do research, just not with trusted/good places. My research on avics consisted with reading SEVERAL web pages that said to mist them daily and closely monitor humidity. :banghead: Granted, these were probably care sheets or from care sheets.

On that note @Pec85 , NEVER TRUST CARE SHEETS!

DeanK

Arachnosquire
If the pic is the current set up you need to fix some things. Add a lot more substrate, remove all the pebbles and the tp roll and add something for a water dish

Pec85

Arachnopeon
I did do research and have watched professional videos with people handling them and saying for events and kids parties they usually use rose hairs because they are extremely docile and calm I didn't come here for a browbeating (if you want a gerbil blah get one of those) I came here for help not elitistism. I mist mine once a day the way I was told and researched.

How would you know? I have and again I didn't come here to be condescended either.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I did do research and have watched professional videos with people handling them and saying for events and kids parties they usually use rose hairs because they are extremely docile and calm I didn't come here for a browbeating (if you want a gerbil blah get one of those) I came here for help not elitistism. I mist mine once a day the way I was told and researched.

How would you know? I have and again I didn't come here to be condescended either.
your research is wrong, theres a ton of crap on the internet. 90% of it is wrong. some keepers here have been keeping decades and breeding as well. most people here know what theyre talking about. misting is useless for grammostola, use a water dish for humidity. since yours is a sling, overflow that water dish once a week or so. research is useless if youve been researching the wrong stuff.