First T

MikeDell

Arachnopeon
Verrrrrry slow. We're talking it will go on many-month long fasts, which is why it glows slow. They also live ( in females ) almost 30 years in some cases. They take forever. On a 1-10 scale, they are probably a 2 or 3.
Out of curiosity, what are some of the fast growers?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Out of curiosity, what are some of the fast growers?
Almost all of the old worlds. Stuff like the baboon species, poecilitheria, etc. Most new world T's (as in the one's in the Americas) are either slow and long lived or huge and humidity dependent. Most old worlds are MUCH faster, arguably more colorful, and very fast growing. As an example, an OBT can mature in 4-6 (as a female) year give or take. A brachy can take 10+ to mature as a female. So, it's risky going for OW in the beginning. Not impossible, since most are easy to care for, but they are also much more fast and venomous than NW. Personally, I like OW's. Cool looking with a lot of attitude and appatite. All about give and take :D

Mauri

Arachnoknight
Almost all of the old worlds. Stuff like the baboon species, poecilitheria, etc. Most new world T's (as in the one's in the Americas) are either slow and long lived or huge and humidity dependent. Most old worlds are MUCH faster, arguably more colorful, and very fast growing. As an example, an OBT can mature in 4-6 (as a female) year give or take. A brachy can take 10+ to mature as a female. So, it's risky going for OW in the beginning. Not impossible, since most are easy to care for, but they are also much more fast and venomous than NW. Personally, I like OW's. Cool looking with a lot of attitude and appatite. All about give and take :D
I agree! But I just got into Psalmos and an H Mac. (H mac best of both worlds?) which are also great. But yeah does come with attitude n speed.

P.S H pulchripes is next for me I think.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I agree! But I just got into Psalmos and an H Mac. (H mac best of both worlds?) which are also great. But yeah does come with attitude n speed.

P.S H pulchripes is next for me I think.
Cool. Really hoping to get a young juvie H. mac myself. Jist a question, is it really as reclusive as they say? The care is little to nothing, they are beautiful, grow a decent size, what's not to love? Just wondering as a future owner :D

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
OW's come with more than just attitude and speed. They come with venom that isn't a joke - especially an H. maculata. A bite from even a juvenile can put a grown man into the hospital, if for no other reason than the pain. I recently had a young juvie bolt out and onto my hand. Getting bitten by even that size wouldn't have been a pleasant experience.

They're not that reclusive, no. I think people believe them to be reclusive because of how skittish and light sensitive they are. If you turn on the light, they've scurried to their hide long before you even look into their enclosure. They always come out shortly after the lights are off, though. Especially if they're hungry. This species demonstrates some pretty aggressive hunting behavior.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
OW's come with more than just attitude and speed. They come with venom that isn't a joke - especially an H. maculata. A bite from even a juvenile can put a grown man into the hospital, if for no other reason than the pain. I recently had a young juvie bolt out and onto my hand. Getting bitten by even that size wouldn't have been a pleasant experience.

They're not that reclusive, no. I think people believe them to be reclusive because of how skittish and light sensitive they are. If you turn on the light, they've scurried to their hide long before you even look into their enclosure. They always come out shortly after the lights are off, though. Especially if they're hungry. This species demonstrates some pretty aggressive hunting behavior.
Good. I'd love to at least bring out a red light and see it's beautiful patterns every once in a while.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
Cool. Really hoping to get a young juvie H. mac myself. Jist a question, is it really as reclusive as they say? The care is little to nothing, they are beautiful, grow a decent size, what's not to love? Just wondering as a future owner :D
Well transfer to enclosure went well. Dropped a cricket in and bang..pounced on. Overnight it threw up a burrow under the cork I provided.

So far so good. Will feed and hopefully get on film tomorrow with my other new additions.

I am generally not expecting to see it much but then am used to that with my P.Irminia. She is hopefully in pre-moult I dont fancy disturbing her. (I'd say she's a good 4 inches at least). Havent seen her for at least 3 weeks now. Worried? A bit so might have to try and peek in soonish. (in case she has moulted badly).

MikeDell

Arachnopeon
Interesting. Would you recommend any of the Old World's for a beginner? I like what I have seen from many of the NWs but I kind of want something that may grow a bit quicker.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Just stay away from any "rose hairs". My GF's is an active webber and fussy with food. Mine... gives me a headache. I have to keep her on the humid side, actively burrows and tunnels and will molt unexpectedly. I got her from my older sister and she was adult. She has molted 5 times in my care since I had her in 2016. Any growth is unnoticeable. An easy and hardy T but... complicated.
You keep your Grammostola sp. humid ?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Interesting. Would you recommend any of the Old World's for a beginner? I like what I have seen from many of the NWs but I kind of want something that may grow a bit quicker.
IMO, an OBT is an option. For one of the prettiest T's out there, they are easy to care for and make a lot of webbing. These are VERY fast and aggresive though, so if you want something more "chill" you should go for a Ceratogyrus or Augecephalus. Usually the horned baboons are generally calm for a baboon, and they have a spike! There are so many threads too, I would just look up beginner OW in the forum and look at the results.

MikeDell

Arachnopeon
IMO, an OBT is an option. For one of the prettiest T's out there, they are easy to care for and make a lot of webbing. These are VERY fast and aggresive though, so if you want something more "chill" you should go for a Ceratogyrus or Augecephalus. Usually the horned baboons are generally calm for a baboon, and they have a spike! There are so many threads too, I would just look up beginner OW in the forum and look at the results.
Cool. Yeah I have been reading some threads and it seems alot of OWs tend to be pet holes which isn't something I want. Also, Id rather not deal with anything aggressive right now but maybe down the line when I have more experience.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
None. Get a G. pulchripes juvi or something. OW are a different league. You can try, but it can be quite something. They aren't something to be messed with. I'm a Teen (13) and I almost bought an S. calceatum. They are insanely venomous spiders, with venom that could kill me if bitten per say on the wrist or neck. You could try a P. irmina/cambridgei.

MikeDell

Arachnopeon
None. Get a G. pulchripes juvi or something. OW are a different league. You can try, but it can be quite something. They aren't something to be messed with. I'm a Teen (13) and I almost bought an S. calceatum. They are insanely venomous spiders, with venom that could kill me if bitten per say on the wrist or neck. You could try a P. irmina/cambridgei.
Yeah I just did some quick research and I agree with you. The faster growth isn't worth getting bitten or never seeing the thing. Eventually, when I am more comfortable, I may try an OW.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Yeah I just did some quick research and I agree with you. The faster growth isn't worth getting bitten or never seeing the thing. Eventually, when I am more comfortable, I may try an OW.
In regards to what I said about P. irmina/cambridgei, they have some powerful venom (not OW bad, but still painful) and grow fast. They are fast though (in speed) but reclusive (For the most part)

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Try something like an A. Geniculata. They grow pretty quickly to a very good size and they're eating machines. One of my favorite feeding responses is from my Genic

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
IMO, an OBT is an option. For one of the prettiest T's out there, they are easy to care for and make a lot of webbing. These are VERY fast and aggresive though.

You think OBT's are a good recommendation for a beginner? Geez.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You think OBT's are a good recommendation for a beginner? Geez.
I completely missed that...

Yeah, OP, don't get an OBT. Specifically, it's a P. murinus. They are certainly not a beginner tarantula.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
To clarify one issue that this thread has arisen , there are no aggressive tarantulas . There are ones that are highly defensive in nature , such as the OBT which is mentioned above (BTW , next to an H.mac I can't think of a worse T for a beginner to get) . Aggression is being likely to confront or attack . Ts don't do this unless you are talking about prey items . Ts are defensive meaning that they are willing to defend themselves when they are presented with danger . The threat posture is similar to the rattle of a Rattlesnake . It is clear message that if a would be attacker persists then they are going to get bitten . But like the Rattlesnake the tarantula just wants to be left alone . They don't actively seek out victims to attack , that is something humans do .

Last edited:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
To clarify one issue that this thread has arisen , there are no aggressive tarantulas . There are ones that are highly defensive in nature , such as the OBT which is mentioned above (BTW , next to an H.mac I can't think of a worse T for a beginner to get) . Aggression is being likely to confront or attack . Ts don't do this unless you are talking about prey items . Ts are defensive meaning that they are willing to defend themselves when they are presented with danger . The threat posture is similar to the rattle of a Rattlesnake . It is clear message that if a would be attacker persists then they are going to get bitten . But like the Rattlesnake the tarantula just wants to be left alone . They don't actively seek out victims to attack , that is something humans do .
Maybe this is just my experience, but I have had no problems with my OBT as long as you leave thm alone. As long as you give them a hide and don't bother them, they are as docile as a Grammostola. I believe as long as you are careful and always leave your spiders alone, an OBT can make a fine beginner. This is, as long as you know what you are getting into. The one time my OBT got crazy defensive was when I peeled back his hide to take out his molt. He didn't bolt or go crazy, he just stood his ground and (basically) let me get it out. Again, this may be my experience, but I think an OBT can be a great intro to OW and the hobby as long as you know what you are doing and DO NOT mess with them unless absolutely necessary. I don't quite recommend it to the OP as a first T, it would be my first pick as a first OW T. Call me crazy, but I love those little tangerine monster :D

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
an OBT can make a fine beginner. This is, as long as you know what you are getting into [and] as long as you know what you are doing
OBTs like most OWs are going to be a handful , no pun intended . I just worry that a beginner might look only at the price and availability as the deciding factor in getting one . Don't get me wrong , they are hands down my favorite species and I do mean favorite . I just hope people do their research before taking the plunge .