First T

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Ohhhhhhhh, got it. Never heard of that though, will have to look it up. Figured all grammostolas grow like molasses...

MikeDell

Arachnopeon
Again, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will continue my research. I think I will wait until October or so to purchase as it is extremely hot out right now where I live and I don't want to take any chances, even with overnight shipping. Price is also a consideration for me so I will most likely end up going with a G.pulchripes, as I want a big spider with a docile temperament for under 30 bucks.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Again, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will continue my research. I think I will wait until October or so to purchase as it is extremely hot out right now where I live and I don't want to take any chances, even with overnight shipping. Price is also a consideration for me so I will most likely end up going with a G.pulchripes, as I want a big spider with a docile temperament for under 30 bucks.
Great choice! You will enjoy watching these guys grow :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I want a big spider with a docile temperament for under 30 bucks.

Not much selection in that price range. Almost everything in the hobby has to be raised up from a sling by someone, and they have time and money in doing that. There's a lot of little slings that cost more than $30.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have been successful in buying a number of my tarantulas from individuals who are selling part/all of their collections online. Sure, you are taking some risk that you are not getting the correct species, or correct sex, but I have not run into any of those issues.
I ended up buying two juvenile G. pulchripes for $40cdn each. They were sold to me as unsexed and I ended up with one male and one female. It was an awesome deal. My two sub adult female GBB were also bought that way - sold to me as unsexed and I sexed them from old moults I found in their enclosure the same day I bought them - the result was two females.
You might want to consider looking online for people selling part, or all, of their collections because you can really get some good deals sometimes.

MikeDell

Arachnopeon
Not much selection in that price range. Almost everything in the hobby has to be raised up from a sling by someone, and they have time and money in doing that. There's a lot of little slings that cost more than $30.
Yeah I decided that I will most likely end up with a sling or juvie and I found G. pulchripes on a few vendor sites for 20 to 30 bucks. It looks like raising one should be doable even for a beginner so I will probably go that route.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Yeah I decided that I will most likely end up with a sling or juvie and I found G. pulchripes on a few vendor sites for 20 to 30 bucks. It looks like raising one should be doable even for a beginner so I will probably go that route.
My first tarantula was a G. pulchripes that I raised from a tiny sling. He was incredibly forgiving of my beginner mistakes even at a very small size. I can't say enough good things about this species. Always my recommendation for a first tarantula.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
Or shows. My P.Irminia was £40 and I think my Hentzi was £30. (both females and juve). Otherwise Poec hit the nail on the head.

Interesing question would I own two adults now if I hadnt gone to the show...most likely not I'd prob have 16 slings rather than two adults n 14 slings :)

MikeDell

Arachnopeon
My first tarantula was a G. pulchripes that I raised from a tiny sling. He was incredibly forgiving of my beginner mistakes even at a very small size. I can't say enough good things about this species. Always my recommendation for a first tarantula.
Great to know. When I do decide to officially purchase, I will post here and make 100 percent sure that I get everything that I would need for a sling.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Great to know. When I do decide to officially purchase, I will post here and make 100 percent sure that I get everything that I would need for a sling.
Post some pics! Love to see them, although we'll see your adult in about 6-8 years ;) Cool though, hope you get a good one

Mauri

Arachnoknight
I'd check out toms big spiders. He was a help to me when I first started off. Nice chap as well.

https://tomsbigspiders.wordpress.com/

(although I dont agree entirely with his beginner list).(I would include an avic but only if you are prepared to get the enclosure right and take more care).

And i'd include the A geniculata+T.Lagunas+G pulchripes. Smithis arent that bad either I suppose but be prepared for long pre-moults. However my little one has been eating fine after first moult. (am guessing will go into pre-moult after next meal or so).

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Post some pics! Love to see them, although we'll see your adult in about 6-8 years ;) Cool though, hope you get a good one

For which species? Pulchripes males can mature in 4-5 years without being pushed, females a year or two longer.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Where are G.pulchripes on the scale of slow to fast growth? Somewhere in the middle?
Verrrrrry slow. We're talking it will go on many-month long fasts, which is why it glows slow. They also live ( in females ) almost 30 years in some cases. They take forever. On a 1-10 scale, they are probably a 2 or 3.