First t!!! :)

Jkingsley3923

Arachnopeon
I picked up a little Grammostola pulchripes sling recently and I am completely fascinated by my new little project. He has about a half inch leg-span and just ate a pinhead cricket for me today. He lives in a glass pill bottle with vermiculite 3/4 the way filled up, I water him once every other day by putting a couple drops of dechlorinated water onto one side of the substrate with an eye dropper. I'm trying to get him on a feeding regimen of one appropriately sized cricket, three times a week. Does this all sound good? or is there something I should be doing different? he is at room temperature in my reptile room which sits at a constant 72 degrees Fahrenheit. My only other question thus far is how long should I wait before taking the dead cricket out?, I know they don't consume the whole thing, but when will I know when it has had it's fill?

thank you all!
I'll post pictures as soon as I get my macro lens working, he is too small to use my regular lens and get good results. :)

-Jordan

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All sounds just fine to me!

Wait a day, maybe two at most; you don't want to risk mold.

Other than that, keep doing what you're doing! :)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Welcome to the hobby Jordan! :)

In my experience with G. pulchripes slings, they will eat almost everyday as sling/juvies until they refuse food before molting time. The rule of thumb for spiderlings as far as im concerned: They cant over eat. You can feed your sling as little or as much as you want. Doesnt matter to me. (adults shouldnt be overfed, This may cause a long period of fasting) My .5" G. pulchripes i got in june is now a 4" male today. I keep my Ts at 75-80 deg night/day. Temperature will directly effect there metabolism, appitite and growth.

Remove the dead crickets after a day if there not eating. You can dice up adult crickets to feed multiple slings to prevent too much leftovers.

You may want to experiment with cocofiber or peat moss as a substrate. It will hold burrows better for your slings if they want to dig one.

Enjoy your new found friend! -Doug P. :D

Last edited:

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In my experience with G. pulchripes slings, they will eat almost everyday as sling/juvies until they refuse food before molting time.
amen! mine was a greedy little .5" booger when i bought it in feb. and was moulting regularly until it hit about 2.5" and i cut back on the feeding.

definitely one of the best slings i have raised so far.