First T tank advice

Lapointe

Arachnopeon
Hi, I just got my first T, she a smithi about 2.5 inch, I needed advice on my container, I put coco fiber but its seem so fibery almost too much? I also put a hide, I wanted a cork bark but they didnt have them in stock! so I bought that strange things ( is it any good or should i really buy a bark)? I'm also concern about a somethings stupid I did when I received here a couple of days ago, I needed to change her tank substrate because it was to damp, I used something similar to a 2liter soda to transfers here, when I tried to put her back in she kind of freaked out and she did maybe 2 loop and fall on her back twice. I was scared that she might have hurt herself, now she almost doesnt move in fact I never see her move, she move a little bit where im not there. I cant tell if she was more active before, it was on the first day. She did eat a mealworm later that day. Thanks guys!

Attachments

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Hi, I just got my first T, she a smithi about 2.5 inch, I needed advice on my container, I put coco fiber but its seem so fibery almost too much? I also put a hide, I wanted a cork bark but they didnt have them in stock! so I bought that strange things ( is it any good or should i really buy a bark)? I'm also concern about a somethings stupid I did when I received here a couple of days ago, I needed to change her tank substrate because it was to damp, I used something similar to a 2liter soda to transfers here, when I tried to put her back in she kind of freaked out and she did maybe 2 loop and fall on her back twice. I was scared that she might have hurt herself, now she almost doesnt move in fact I never see her move, she move a little bit where im not there. I cant tell if she was more active before, it was on the first day. She did eat a mealworm later that day. Thanks guys!
That substrate is no good. You need coco fiber, eco earth, peat or topsoil, not coco husk with large chunks like this!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
As has been said, coco fiber is best for beginners.

Kudos to you for avoiding (most) of the beginner mistakes! No heat mat, small enclosure, no water crystals - the only bad thing I'm seeing is the wood chips. When you rehouse, could you snap a picture of the spider? I just want to make sure that it's not in a death curl. Lethargy is normal with arid spiders such as yours, but better safe than sorry.

Lapointe

Arachnopeon
As has been said, coco fiber is best for beginners.

Kudos to you for avoiding (most) of the beginner mistakes! No heat mat, small enclosure, no water crystals - the only bad thing I'm seeing is the wood chips. When you rehouse, could you snap a picture of the spider? I just want to make sure that it's not in a death curl. Lethargy is normal with arid spiders such as yours, but better safe than sorry.
Hi, thanks, yeah sure im gonna post a picture of her! I was sure that i bought coco fiber, I was to excited and picked-up coco husk instead ( the chunk are almost bigger than her thats maybe why she dont like to walk....

Attachments

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Hi, thanks, yeah sure im gonna post a picture of her! I was sure that i bought coco fiber, I was to excited and picked-up coco husk instead ( the chunk are almost bigger than her thats maybe why she dont like to walk....
Probably :D Glad to know that you have that enclosure nearly perfect :) This may just be my preference, but that hide is really big for that T. Not a big deal, just something to consider. Awesome T, looks really healthy!

Lapointe

Arachnopeon
Probably :D Glad to know that you have that enclosure nearly perfect :) This may just be my preference, but that hide is really big for that T. Not a big deal, just something to consider. Awesome T, looks really healthy!
Thanks! the hide is probably to big your right, I wanted something smaller but they had nothing at my local petshop, I need to order something smaller online if you have recomandation my T is 2.5 inch.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ah, that's a healthy looking spider! Beautiful specimen, too :) Yeah, just get it on some coco fiber and you'll be golden. Just buy the bag, don't bother with the brick. The brick is cheaper in the long run, but you've only got one spider. No need to buy in bulk. The bag will be dry, which is what you need.

As for the pot, just do what @Flexzone said. You can buy terra cotta pots at any hardware store for under $1 - just take a hammer to it and break off what you need. Remember, there's no such thing as a claustrophobic spider. They like tight spaces, so don't give it a huge hide.